Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2024, 10:21 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Fine! They would tell you Domino's in Fairfield is better than any New Haven joint.

Even if Sally's or Pepe's aren't as good as they used to be or not as good as the original locations, they're still better than run of the mill rando shops you find on a corner, and of course Colony, anything is better than Colony.
When it comes to pizza, it really is a matter of taste for most everyone. Some people actually swear by Pizza Hut in middle America and other pizza chains while passing on what those of us in CT believe is a better pizza at a mom and pop shop.

Here's a true story. From 1987 to 1990 I worked as a Manager for Domino's Pizza n Cromwell and later in the Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN area in 1990. When I worked as a Store Manager in the Cromwell store (closed in 1990 after I quit) I recall a cop from Wethersfield would drive to our store in the Cromwell Square shopping center to buy something about once or twice a month. He said it was a very good pizza and that was probably due to the fact we used Lang Air Deck Ovens vs. a conveyor belt style which is common with most chain stores. I recall the owner of the Domino's shops in Berlin and New Britain used Bakers Pride natural gas ovens which made an excellent pizza. I won't claim that Domino's was or is better than the best mom and pop shops but honestly it you put our product from the stores I just mentioned against many of the mom and pop places in the Midwest during that period, our pizzas were better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 10:56 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
When it comes to pizza, it really is a matter of taste for most everyone. Some people actually swear by Pizza Hut in middle America and other pizza chains while passing on what those of us in CT believe is a better pizza at a mom and pop shop.
I’m only saying this because I can’t be the only one that think this. I never thought that mom and pop shop pizza is automatically better than pizza from franchises. I simply saw them as different, but whether one was better than the other (to my taste) fell on the individual pizza itself. There are some pizza from Domino’s, from Pizza Hut, from mom and pop shops that I like and don’t like. It isn’t about the business per say.

Now, in Stamford in terms of taste, Pappa’s Pizza (it’s sort of a town specific tradition) gets an honorable mention and Sergio’s Restaurant on E Main St (they don’t cut their pizza in triangle slices, but rather as squares) taste so good I consider that a treat. Same with Hope St Pizza, though Sergio’s taste better. The worst pizza I’ve ever tried in Stamford is from Riko’s. They seem to be doing well, but I’m not putting another of their pizza in my mouth. lol

Now, the truly best pizza I have ever tried was a homemade pizza by the mother of an Italian friend I had at the time. Unbelivable how good that was. It was such a long time ago, but have yet to taste a better tasting pizza regardless of the place.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-15-2024 at 11:05 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 11:31 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I’m only saying this because I can’t be the only one that think this. I never thought that mom and pop shop pizza is automatically better than pizza from franchises. I simply saw them as different, but whether one was better than the other (to my taste) fell on the individual pizza itself. There are some pizza from Domino’s, from Pizza Hut, from mom and pop shops that I like and don’t like. It isn’t about the business per say.

Now, in Stamford in terms of taste, Pappa’s Pizza (it’s sort of a town specific tradition) gets an honorable mention and Sergio’s Restaurant on E Main St (they don’t cut their pizza in triangle slices, but rather as squares) taste so good I consider that a treat. Same with Hope St Pizza, though Sergio’s taste better. The worst pizza I’ve ever tried in Stamford is from Riko’s. They seem to be doing well, but I’m not putting another of their pizza in my mouth. lol

Now, the truly best pizza I have ever tried was a homemade pizza by the mother of an Italian friend I had at the time. Unbelivable how good that was. It was such a long time ago, but have yet to taste a better tasting pizza regardless of the place.
I haven't had it in years, but I was working with a friend in Stamford and he raved about Hope St and ordered some. I thought it was terrible. Maybe that's just the pizza snob in me.

Have you been to Grigg St in Greenwich? That's legit excellent pizza. By far the best I've had in that area.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:13 PM

6,909 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Hope St. is a terrible variation of greek style, it's just downright awful, but I understand the appeal as FCounty-ians absolutely love their greek and Colony pizza, no question. They foam at the mouth and go berserk and nuts for those two varities. You should here the things people say.
And as I've done here before I can corroborate Grigg St Greenwich and tack on Magic Pie as two of the very few standouts in coastal FCounty.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I don't care about pizza one way or the other, to be honest. I've had all types and to be honest, none of it really appeals to me, as in, "Wow I want some of that pizza!"

Old 02-15-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't care about pizza one way or the other, to be honest. I've had all types and to be honest, none of it really appeals to me, as in, "Wow I want some of that pizza!"
So you either don't like pizza, or haven't had the right pizza.

Old 02-15-2024, 01:36 PM

6,909 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
Colony/Rico are bar pizza. Hope is greek style which to me begs the simple question of "of all the pizza styles to eat, you pick this one?" Post Corner Pizza and Jordans in Norwalk are two more greek style places people rave about and I just stare at them in disbelief. Ive tried both, once.
People drop to their knees in tears of joy over Post Corner and I don't get it either.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:35 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
So you either don't like pizza, or haven't had the right pizza.
“I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don’t want to know. Some things are better left unsaid. I’d like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can’t be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it.”

― The Shawshank Redemption

They were singing about great pizza.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:46 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I haven't had it in years, but I was working with a friend in Stamford and he raved about Hope St and ordered some. I thought it was terrible. Maybe that's just the pizza snob in me.

Have you been to Grigg St in Greenwich? That's legit excellent pizza. By far the best I've had in that area.
I haven’t had much pizza in Greenwich. Once from Arcuris and the fact it was once should be a sign. lol I have been to several restaurants in Greenwich that served pizza, but I always ended eating something else.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I haven’t had much pizza in Greenwich. Once from Arcuris and the fact it was once should be a sign. lol I have been to several restaurants in Greenwich that served pizza, but I always ended eating something else.
Arcuri’s looks like terrible pizza. Definitely try Grigg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut