Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2022, 07:33 AM

6,145 posts, read 5,118,621 times

Advertisements

My answer to the thread? Having lived in neighboring MA now for a few years, I would say YES. Thank God I still live within driving distance of Harrys BC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 05:14 PM

828 posts, read 694,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
For the fourth year in a row, New Haven’s Frank Pepe’s Apizza has been named the No. 1 pizza in the country. I will admit it’s good but some people will argue that Sally’s, Modern, Zuppardi’s or Roseland is better. Some swear by Colony. So which pizza is the best? Is it really the best in America? Let the debating begin. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/across...ed-no-1-nation
Da Legna in New Haven is right up there too. New Haven definitely has the best pizza in America. i've been all over since I moved out of CT, and the pizza is what I miss.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:06 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
My answer to the thread? Having lived in neighboring MA now for a few years, I would say YES. Thank God I still live within driving distance of Harrys BC!
I assume you mean Harry’s Bishops Corner (West Hartford). It is very good too. I’d say it’s on par with the best New Haven pizza. Outside of that and few others though, greater Hartford isn’t on the same level as New Haven or Fairfield County. Fortunately Frank Pepe and soon Sally’s are coming in. Long overdue IMHO. Jay

Old 04-14-2022, 07:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,104,262 times
Quote:
I assume you mean Harry’s Bishops Corner (West Hartford). It is very good too. I’d say it’s on par with the best New Haven pizza. Outside of that and few others though, greater Hartford isn’t on the same level as New Haven or Fairfield County. Fortunately Frank Pepe and soon Sally’s are coming in. Long overdue IMHO. Jay
I had a couple of pizzas at Harry's when they were on Farmington Ave. in West Hartford center. Not sure if they moved to BC or opened another shop. Great pizza. Harry apparently worked at Pepe's for many years and a couple of decades ago decided to head north to bring New Haven style pizza to the Hartford area.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Yes Jay, that's the one. A not-so-hidden gem, especially when the original Harry's closed!

Even after moving out of the area, I've still returned there on occasion and the standard has held up. I took my late father there and he particularly enjoyed their jalapeno topping. It's very non-traditional, to the point where my mom asked them what they used, and they wouldn't tell

Old 04-14-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I had a couple of pizzas at Harry's when they were on Farmington Ave. in West Hartford center. Not sure if they moved to BC or opened another shop. Great pizza. Harry apparently worked at Pepe's for many years and a couple of decades ago decided to head north to bring New Haven style pizza to the Hartford area.
The original Harry's and Harry's BC are different (there were some complicated family ties way back...and I think Barb who had opened a similar styled Barb's Pizza was also involved). Yes, it's probably the best pizza I've eaten, of any style...

Old 04-14-2022, 10:09 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The original Harry's and Harry's BC are different (there were some complicated family ties way back...and I think Barb who had opened a similar styled Barb's Pizza was also involved). Yes, it's probably the best pizza I've eaten, of any style...
And somehow it was also is related to the now closed Harry’s in Glastonbury which was also different. The problem with Glastonbury was for some reason their crust was too tough. There were times it was like chewing rubber. I complained a number of times but it never improved. We stopped going there. I wasn’t going to pay a premium price for an inedible pizza. I remember the owner of Vito’s in Wethersfield once told me that a tough pizza crust is from overworking the dough. Harry’s Bishop Corner is very different. It’s crust when I have had it was perfect. Wish they’d come here with their crust. Jay

Old 04-14-2022, 10:12 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Guess I’ll have to try Harry’s.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:48 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,104,262 times
Quote:
And somehow it was also is related to the now closed Harry’s in Glastonbury which was also different. The problem with Glastonbury was for some reason their crust was too tough. There were times it was like chewing rubber. I complained a number of times but it never improved. We stopped going there. I wasn’t going to pay a premium price for an inedible pizza. I remember the owner of Vito’s in Wethersfield once told me that a tough pizza crust is from overworking the dough. Harry’s Bishop Corner is very different. It’s crust when I have had it was perfect. Wish they’d come here with their crust. Jay
Yes, pizza dough is tricky and you don't want to over work it. I make NY Style pizza at home and while different than New Haven, it is still a challenge to insure you don't mix the dough too long either by hand or in a machine. That probably was the reason the dough was so tough.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:21 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
These are good videos on making apizza

https://youtu.be/caqAXi4mOy8
https://youtu.be/8qgbp9llbWE
https://youtu.be/FgOVQiRp3GQ
https://youtu.be/Sz5plR6daNs
https://youtu.be/xe8acNP5ZjI
https://youtu.be/Ev7y3TLId3Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut