Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:04 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
It's not fair to compare deepdish to New Haven style pie. Different experiences entirely. I think the single best pizza in America is Pepe's white clam pie, but if I want red pizza, I'll take Sally's.

When we are talking about "Best Pizza in America" for a region or city, are you comparing the best of each city or the overall pizza picture, ie ratio of really good places to mediocre or bad pizza and the standards you average person holds for their pizza? I think this is where CT shines. Other cities my have spots as good or better than New Haven's elite, but there are so damn many good spots in this state. Compare that to to Boston, where I lived until recently. There are a few excellent places, but they are completely outnumbered by the mediocre ones. I had 20 pizza places within 10 minutes of my house and none were as good as the Deluca's in Killingworth or Grand in Madison (never mind Sally's.)

Boston and pizza don't mesh in my mind....

In fact the only 4 places I really think of when I think "pizza" are NYC, New Haven, Chicago and Italy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 09:53 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
Don't think so, The report is coming from Ct. Personally I think his pizza is average.. I've had better in NY,NJ, and IL. Sals in Mamaroneck Blows Pepis doors off. They have the best Sicilian pie around. Something that you will never find in CT.
Comparing Sicilian to New Haven style?

Old 09-13-2020, 09:57 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Amongst the best for sure. My personal pick for the best is Belmont section of the Bronx.

No complaints though regarding pizza quality throughout the tri-state region.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:29 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Ct has the best pizza hands down. Tollis which is in East haven just recently expanded to Charleston sc area and it is only been opened a week and people are claiming it to be the best in sc which it could likely be.

What they don't know is that tollis is not even on people radar as top in ct so jut imagine if one of the top places was to do the same.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:10 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,209,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
Sals in Mamaroneck Blows Pepis doors off. They have the best Sicilian pie around. Something that you will never find in CT.

Being from Westchester originally, Sals is flat out awesome pizza......Sicilian is the best I have had and I lived there until age 42.
But CT has nothing like this as far as I found since moving here and that is fine......however we love the New Haven style thin crust pizza. But I would not say that anyone blows Pepe away because they are 2 totally different styles of pizza. Personally I don;t love Pepe......it is good......but we prefer Modern Pizza over Pepe in NH......By me, I would choose Tipsy Tomato and Roseland over Pepe. This is an age old discussion though.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:43 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Pepe’s in New Haven is less consistent than it used to be.

We like Sally’s, Modern, Big Green Truck Takeout, Da Legna/Nolo, Pepe’s, Zuppardi’s, Roseland, Jimmy’s, New Haven Pizza Place, BAR, Brewport for New Haven Style. In about that order. Hear Olde World is good too.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-14-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2020, 09:45 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
Not sure I'd agree that we're #1 on the charts, but I'd say we're in the Top 10. And it isn't just New Haven that has delicious pies, although it's probably the most popular place for it. My town has a ton of amazing pizza restaurants (Harry's Barb's, Park Lane, Pepe's, Joey's), and so does Middletown.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Not sure I'd agree that we're #1 on the charts, but I'd say we're in the Top 10. And it isn't just New Haven that has delicious pies, although it's probably the most popular place for it. My town has a ton of amazing pizza restaurants (Harry's Barb's, Park Lane, Pepe's, Joey's), and so does Middletown.
Zuppardis, Pepes, Sally's though have a certain texture and quality you don't get from the regular town parlors.

Stylo explained it to me in another pizza thread some time ago. Something about the ingrediants and ovens. After visiting these place I see what he means. That's how City Data legends are born.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Being from Westchester originally, Sals is flat out awesome pizza......Sicilian is the best I have had and I lived there until age 42.
Johnny's Mount Vernon too. Great thin crust

Old 09-14-2020, 10:10 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,209,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Johnny's Mount Vernon too. Great thin crust
Long story short......His son Joe, who's in charge now along with his brother, is a close friend of mine for the last 30 years. They do have great pizza. I have had it a few times and did not go there too much because of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut