Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 10:44 AM

844 posts, read 508,689 times

Advertisements

I'm a little late to the part on this one. For those who are familiar with Old Saybrook and the controversies around the police dept and the police chief, the Democrats mounted a big push to get control of the police commission. It was the only heavily contested election in town. Dems now have control of the Police Commision. It should be interesting to see how that develops for the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 12:02 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Doesn't matter, Lamonts pirouetting his way to re-election.
The echoists here are expert spinners. You have a dreidel somewhere, they'll spin it like you wouldn't believe.
"Crime erasure bill". You'd think CT was becoming The Purge 24/7 365. It's actually the Clean slate bill for misdimeanors. Not great but you still get arrested for crimes as far as I know.
The suburban zoning bill helps more rich people move in. I'm surprised these guys here with boats that have engines with a combined 18 spark plugs call that far left.
The “clean slate bill” is not solely for misdemeanors and includes felonious acts. Full stop. This has been debated over and over and facts win every time.

I don’t think anyone cares whether the suburban zoning bill helps rich or poor - it furthers the deterioration of suburban character. Places like California have done this and because it’s a high cost area, it negatively affected what was otherwise quiet and charming areas. Connecticut is no different.

Anyone who doesn’t think these Lamont-supported bills are left wing isn’t paying attention.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:17 PM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter, Lamonts pirouetting his way to re-election.
The echoists here are expert spinners. You have a dreidel somewhere, they'll spin it like you wouldn't believe.
"Crime erasure bill". You'd think CT was becoming The Purge 24/7 365. It's actually the Clean slate bill for misdimeanors. Not great but you still get arrested for crimes as far as I know.
The suburban zoning bill helps more rich people move in. I'm surprised these guys here with boats that have engines with a combined 18 spark plugs call that far left.
Oh I agree and much rather prefer Lamont. I think he has this in the bag - for an old money guy, he's really about leaning into the concerns of regular folks (Murphy messed up here) and just in general government competence. For those of us who actually live in CT not Florida, his handling of Covid-19 has been pretty good (so happy about that).

Old 11-08-2021, 03:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I'm a little late to the part on this one. For those who are familiar with Old Saybrook and the controversies around the police dept and the police chief, the Democrats mounted a big push to get control of the police commission. It was the only heavily contested election in town. Dems now have control of the Police Commision. It should be interesting to see how that develops for the next few years.
If the Democrats control the police, the crime rate will most likely increase.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do some Googling and read what former OSPD have to say about the current administration. This isn’t an anti-police situation in an urban setting. The election was about accountability and transparency in a very safe small town. Local Republicans have been giving the chief a free pass on all kinds of nonsense for years. All the local boards and the 1st Selectman are Republican. That should tell you something, but they voted out the Republicans on Police Commission. Look up Chief Spera’s rant over not getting a military surplus boat. Look his officers harassing a boy with Down Syndrome, then refusing to apologize.

Those are just two obvious incidents that come to mind.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:33 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The “clean slate bill” is not solely for misdemeanors and includes felonious acts. Full stop. This has been debated over and over and facts win every time.

I don’t think anyone cares whether the suburban zoning bill helps rich or poor - it furthers the deterioration of suburban character. Places like California have done this and because it’s a high cost area, it negatively affected what was otherwise quiet and charming areas. Connecticut is no different.

Anyone who doesn’t think these Lamont-supported bills are left wing isn’t paying attention.
My slapshot finds the back of the net past Patrick Roy's glove side, top shelf, before I ever go head to head on crime with Miami Vice, but someone here once posted the actual bill itself. I don't remember which member. That's where I got my info from, the actual bill, I read it.

Charm and character are personal preferences and tastes. Many rich republicans may support zoning so they have even more rich expensive housing available to them. Some here often like to cite CT's lack of growth but then oppose expansion like the zoning bill. Lamont supports the Rich Wing, he wants more of them to move in.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:14 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
My slapshot finds the back of the net past Patrick Roy's glove side, top shelf, before I ever go head to head on crime with Miami Vice, but someone here once posted the actual bill itself. I don't remember which member. That's where I got my info from, the actual bill, I read it.

Charm and character are personal preferences and tastes. Many rich republicans may support zoning so they have even more rich expensive housing available to them. Some here often like to cite CT's lack of growth but then oppose expansion like the zoning bill. Lamont supports the Rich Wing, he wants more of them to move in.
You didn’t read the bill in its entirety if you think only misdemeanors are being erased.

Also, the zoning bill doesn’t allow “expansion”. I’m thinking you should probably read up on that one, too.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:06 AM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You didn’t read the bill in its entirety if you think only misdemeanors are being erased.

Also, the zoning bill doesn’t allow “expansion”. I’m thinking you should probably read up on that one, too.
You don't even live in Connecticut. There's a lot of hyperbole over the police accountability and zoning bills. People really need to get out of their towns/suburbs and travel a bit more across the state. The "character" of the state is here while we must evolve at the same time. The "land of steady habits" is starting to go through a smart growth phase and that' ok (like it's a no brainer to build housing near all train stations). And no the "Blacks, Browns, and poor whites" aren't going to send their teenagers to your little cute town to steal stuff (because that's why many folks on here really fear but don't have the courage to write this out). This "crime bill" is an economic bill as well because it removes barriers to employment for low-risk misdemeanors where folks have paid their time, which frees up more folks for the labor force and gives them a chance to legally making a living.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:30 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Agreed. They are soft on crime, and it is costing them already in elections outside Ct (our neighbor elected 2 GOP AGs in democratic majority regions).

Decades back, we had the flight of the law-abiding out of urban high crime areas, and any region soft on crime is risking that tactic used against them. Suburban citizens are not going to risk Junior's well-being to be "woke".

Old 11-09-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed. They are soft on crime, and it is costing them already in elections outside Ct (our neighbor elected 2 GOP AGs in democratic majority regions).

Decades back, we had the flight of the law-abiding out of urban high crime areas, and any region soft on crime is risking that tactic used against them. Suburban citizens are not going to risk Junior's well-being to be "woke".
See my response to Dazzleman. For this specific instance, it has nothing to do with "woke."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut