Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:26 AM

34,133 posts, read 17,194,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I'm a little late to the part on this one. For those who are familiar with Old Saybrook and the controversies around the police dept and the police chief, the Democrats mounted a big push to get control of the police commission. It was the only heavily contested election in town. Dems now have control of the Police Commision. It should be interesting to see how that develops for the next few years.
I will look in 2 years at their crime stats vs the present. If crime drops, kudos to them. If not, just another election w/o consequences other than to political ambitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 10:54 AM

21,665 posts, read 31,313,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
You don't even live in Connecticut. There's a lot of hyperbole over the police accountability and zoning bills. People really need to get out of their towns/suburbs and travel a bit more across the state. The "character" of the state is here while we must evolve at the same time. The "land of steady habits" is starting to go through a smart growth phase and that' ok (like it's a no brainer to build housing near all train stations). And no the "Blacks, Browns, and poor whites" aren't going to send their teenagers to your little cute town to steal stuff (because that's why many folks on here really fear but don't have the courage to write this out). This "crime bill" is an economic bill as well because it removes barriers to employment for low-risk misdemeanors where folks have paid their time, which frees up more folks for the labor force and gives them a chance to legally making a living.
You continuously reply to my posts complaining I don’t live in Connecticut. I am a property owner and taxpayer in the state and have lived there for far longer than many people commenting here. Take a seat.

I won’t debate specifics of each bill here since there are already threads for that. The discussion here is whether or not they are part of the hard left’s progressive movement nationwide - and I believe the spineless governor catered to his party’s wishes.

You’re making a lot of charging statements about suburbanites, which is typical drivel. As usual, instead of proper debate, we result to the ad hominem.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,973,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I will look in 2 years at their crime stats vs the present. If crime drops, kudos to them. If not, just another election w/o consequences other than to political ambitions.
I think it will depend on what kind of Democrats they are. If they're more moderate, there may not be a problem. But if they are progressives, their great affinity for criminals can only lead to an increase in crime.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You continuously reply to my posts complaining I don’t live in Connecticut. I am a property owner and taxpayer in the state and have lived there for far longer than many people commenting here. Take a seat.

I won’t debate specifics of each bill here since there are already threads for that. The discussion here is whether or not they are part of the hard left’s progressive movement nationwide - and I believe the spineless governor catered to his party’s wishes.

You’re making a lot of charging statements about suburbanites, which is typical drivel. As usual, instead of proper debate, we result to the ad hominem.
Not to mention that what he says won't happen is happening already with juveniles from the cities coming to the suburbs to commit thefts.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Not to mention that what he says won't happen is happening already with juveniles from the cities coming to the suburbs to commit thefts.
Exactly.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly.
It's the typical gaslighting that progressives constantly do, blatantly lying and denying what we can see with our own eyes.

Last edited by dazzleman; 11-09-2021 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-09-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It's the typical gaslughting that progressives constantly do, blatantly lying and denying what we can see with our own eyes.
It’s frankly outrageous. To be fair, Trump did the same, but modern progressives are doing it ten times worse today.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
It’s frankly outrageous. To be fair, Trump did the same, but modern progressives are doing it ten times worse today.
The gaslighting is at a level that is simply unbelievable. I think it's making a lot of people very angry, and hopefully it will backfire in their faces. Obama and Biden did it blatantly in the Virginia governor's race, which is really regrettable since presidents and former presidents ought to be above that kind of thing. They're no better than Trump as far as I'm concerned.

There was an article in the CT Post yesterday about how many towns flipped control from Democrat to Republican on election day. I believe it was 19, with 5 going the other way. Not sure what it means, if anything, for 2022. I suspect, and hope I'm wrong, that the Republicans will self-destruct again when it comes to the governor's race. The party needs better leadership and something needs to be done about the primary system.

The article listed Jahana Hayes as Connecticut's most vulnerable congressman, since her district has the most towns with higher Republican votes overall. Still, I don't think she's particularly vulnerable. I actually liked one of her ideas, to help people become teachers without taking on high amounts of student loans to pursue the degrees that are required. Still, she votes in lockstep with the Democrats so that's a problem. I am not in her district anyway so it's not terribly relevant to me.

I'm not sure flipping control of towns at the local level means that much. I think people vote differently on the local level than they do on the state and federal level. Time will tell for 2022.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:49 PM

35,056 posts, read 57,152,219 times
Please stop the bickering. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-09-2021, 05:37 PM

34,133 posts, read 17,194,237 times
Quote:
The gaslighting is at a level that is simply unbelievable. I think it's making a lot of people very angry, and hopefully it will backfire in their faces. Obama and Biden did it blatantly in the Virginia governor's race, which is really regrettable since presidents and former presidents ought to be above that kind of thing. They're no better than Trump as far as I'm concerned.

There was an article in the CT Post yesterday about how many towns flipped control from Democrat to Republican on election day. I believe it was 19, with 5 going the other way. Not sure what it means, if anything, for 2022. I suspect, and hope I'm wrong, that the Republicans will self-destruct again when it comes to the governor's race. The party needs better leadership and something needs to be done about the primary system.

Election 2021 is Election 2022, not in extremely Blue Ct, but in swing states. That matters btw to Ct, as it makes our National reps minority party members 1/20/2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut