Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 10:34 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
As for Section 8 that's not exactly the way how it works. Section 8 programs are administered by a local Section 8 in ministrator from the nearest Housing Authority. They make determinations on both sides of a property is suitable for a potential tenant. I know people that have been kicked out all of Section 8 and public housing for making too much money. There are also property owners that cannot make compliance for things like ADA It's like getting a FHA inspection versus a normal home inspection. If someone has Section 8 property trash is the place that can kick them out of qualifications in the property owner can decide not to do it again or at least have a different vetting process. Section 8 is a voucher it is not paper everything. Let's say for example the rent is $1,000 in a Section 8 pays for 600 the tenant has to come up with the other 400. If there's an increase in the rents Section 8 doesn't Shield them from an increase.

The issue I see in Connecticut with this is to be frank they didn't go through the same reforms that Massachusetts did back in 2014. There are a number of scandals and a number of significant issues and it got to the point where the former Governor wanted to regionalize housing authorities. The housing authorities pushed back in the establishment of a long-term training program, establishment for methodology of executive compensation and a centralized list. In Mass there is a housing mandate but since the state is involved directly in public housing the local list were abolished it doesn't take that much effort to move to another part of the state. However I doubt in Connecticut theyd allow that to happen. Usually this is under fears of things like the Robert Taylor buildings are caprini green. There's nothing even remotely close to that in the northeast or at least in New England. Most public housing buildings are these boring square buildings probably made between the 60s and 90s.
None of this has anything to do with the prevalence of Section 8 attracting undesirable tenants to Manchester as I alluded to earlier. I've seen it in a number of suburbs including mine where the people under this voucher trash the property, and they get away with it. Not saying everyone on Section behaves this way, or even the majority, but if you're a renter who happens to live in a property where the appearance often declines once you've moved there? Chances are, you're a section 8 recipient.

Let's stick to the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 11:11 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Isn't Manchester considered a commutable suburb to Boston like Stamford is to NYC? Shouldn't this help improve real estate prices?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Isn't Manchester considered a commutable suburb to Boston like Stamford is to NYC? Shouldn't this help improve real estate prices?
No. Stamford is about an hour train ride to Grand Central, with departures running regularly. Manchester is almost equidistance between NYC and Boston (though the latter is slightly closer at about an hour and 40 minutes) and public transportation is limited to local bus service in Manchester.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:49 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
No. Stamford is about an hour train ride to Grand Central, with departures running regularly. Manchester is almost equidistance between NYC and Boston (though the latter is slightly closer at about an hour and 40 minutes) and public transportation is limited to local bus service in Manchester.
I had to look up Stamford times. Sad that the train to Manhattan is 52 minutes. It was 45 minutes just a few years ago. It was sub 45 minutes 10 years ago. We really need our trains sped back up.

But yeah Manchester is very much not commutable to Boston. It’s a nearly 100 mile drive, with bad traffic. Stamford is just 35 miles to midtown Manhattan.

The only area of CT remotely commutable IMO is the northeast corner, like Woodstock. Still not a great commute. Woodstock to Providence is viable though.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I had to look up Stamford times. Sad that the train to Manhattan is 52 minutes. It was 45 minutes just a few years ago. It was sub 45 minutes 10 years ago. We really need our trains sped back up.
A friend of mine who grew up and still lives in Fairfield told me that he used to be able to get from Fairfield to NYC in an hour. Now it's an hour and 15 minutes. I agree that it's time to get things back up to speed (no pun intended).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo
The only area of CT remotely commutable IMO is the northeast corner, like Woodstock. Still not a great commute. Woodstock to Providence is viable though.
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider the northeast corner to be part of metro Boston. It's definitely the part of the state closest to it, but I can't imagine people commuting to the city regularly from there.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:32 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Living in FFC you are farther from beaches
FFC is directly on beaches. How do you miss this on a map? (rhetorical)

Old 12-28-2021, 02:52 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
FFC is directly on beaches. How do you miss this on a map? (rhetorical)
Beaches, I mean like good beaches lol. Cape Cod, RI Beaches, Jersey Shore, etc.

A big gripe of those who live there in the summer as it can take 3+ hours to get to RIs beaches on peak times.

In that time, because the roads from CCT are less traffic-y (Manchester in particular) you can reach pretty much any beach in New England up to the Main Coast in under 3 hours.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:02 PM

464 posts, read 311,879 times
Quote:

A big gripe of those who live there in the summer as it can take 3+ hours to get to RIs beaches on peak times.

In that time, because the roads from CCT are less traffic-y (Manchester in particular) you can reach pretty much any beach in New England up to the Main Coast in under 3 hours.
I think your FFC not close to beach comment is best just not being justified. No one would choose Manchester over FFC because it’s an hour closer to cape cod. That’s absurd. Cape Cod isn’t a day trip, it’s an overnight vacation.

Also, as already said, nothing in CT is commutable to Boston, period. Even if the time was reasonable (which it isn’t) the tolls and parking would be a killer.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:38 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:

Beaches are beaches. By defintion they're great. Sand and a body of water. That's it. Some are bigger and wider than others. FFC's aquatic lifestyle in the warmer months can stand up to the best of the best in the Northeast. All day and Sunday. No two ifs. There's no denying it. It's palpable and factual. It cannot be disputed. It's final and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
Beach proximity is the last thing on most minds when considering these particular locations in question.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:51 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Wow! They seem so low compared to Fairfield County and everything on the Metro North lines. For someone whos used to seeing overpriced condos in Stamford for $1m, Manchester seems like a bargain. WFH deal from CT seems ideal with a base in Manchester, Tolland, or other Hartford suburbs. Is there something wrong with Manchester's economy or housing stock? Is crime high?
Location, location, location. (Fairfield County is closest to NYC)

Manchester crime is lower than the US average. I have no idea how the schools are but that could be a factor too.
https://www.city-data.com/city/Manche...nnecticut.html

I live in Fairfield County* but I bet Manchester is a pretty nice middle class town by the stats on the Census and City-Data.

*I have only been to Farmington and Hartford itself in Hartford County so I have no clue about all the other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut