Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:13 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yes Stamford is definitely nicer (also more than twice NH's land area). I wasn't necessarily talking about "nice" and "steady," but more creative and future-oriented that's attracting high-earning tech and remote working professionals to mid-size cities like New Haven in proximity to much larger cities. That's sauce.
And no doubt the tomato sauce is much better in NH too. NH Italians know what the hell they're doing compared to Stamford's Albanians posing as Italians.
You eat good when you go to NH, and when you do go, go hungry. Expect nothing but the best.

I'd like to see it become the next best thing in tech markets. The Silicon Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 10:30 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yes Stamford is definitely nicer (also more than twice NH's land area). I wasn't necessarily talking about "nice" and "steady," but more creative and future-oriented that's attracting high-earning tech and remote working professionals to mid-size cities like New Haven in proximity to much larger cities. That's sauce.
Stamford is almost like 2 towns combined. It’s a very nice leafy suburb fused with a dense city.

The suburban north is nice. The city part really does nothing for me. It lacks the culture, food, architecture, feel of New Haven. Reminds me of a lot of sterile new construction cities elsewhere in the country.

New Haven also has some higher end neighborhoods that have so much more architectural interest and character than Stamford. Just look at Westville near Forest Rd, St Ronan area, Livingston St, and many of the side streets in East Rock.

Don’t get me wrong, Stamford is killing it economically. It’s like the rich finance guy with no personality, and New Haven is the humble, but more interesting artist.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The Silicon Sound.
That’s low key brilliant

Old 02-09-2022, 03:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stamford is almost like 2 towns combined. It’s a very nice leafy suburb fused with a dense city.

The suburban north is nice. The city part really does nothing for me. It lacks the culture, food, architecture, feel of New Haven. Reminds me of a lot of sterile new construction cities elsewhere in the country.
It's nice to see downtown Stamford become so popular, but I agree that aesthetically it looks awful. So many accordion apartments are now rising up there, and they're so unattractive. Reminds me of Long Island City, and that's not a good thing. So many sterile, soulless buildings. Not exactly what I would call progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo
New Haven also has some higher end neighborhoods that have so much more architectural interest and character than Stamford. Just look at Westville near Forest Rd, St Ronan area, Livingston St, and many of the side streets in East Rock.
I also find NH much more interesting. I just wish they'd get a handle on crime in that city. I'm familiar with the nice areas within the city (East Rock, Wooster Square, Amity) and it's nice to see new construction projects here. I'm just wondering if this means that in the long run that all this means is we will see an even more striking contrast between the vibrant, safe areas and the dangerous ones. On the one hand, you don't want to see it become so expensive that the law-abiding, working poor can't afford to live there, but on the other, the issue of crime in several areas is still a major obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo
Don’t get me wrong, Stamford is killing it economically. It’s like the rich finance guy with no personality, and New Haven is the humble, but more interesting artist.
Perfect analogy.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:38 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
New Haven is doing alright but let’s be real guys… clickbait.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Stamford advantage is shorter commute to NYC and Westchester more upscale looking, high paying jobs. New Haven wins on culture, architecture, food, nightlife.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:30 PM

Personal tastes are not wrong. I like the modern style aesthetics in Stamford though I avoid the town as much as possible even being so close. St. Pete's down in FL is doing similar with those styles. Even NH's latest has it, to mix in with gothic Yale and the Victorians. Stamford's waterfront single and multifamily residential severely lacks for the Gold Coast. It's a sore spot. NH has great views. The State is brimming with confidence and activity. It's trending and getting clicks. There's no other way to put it.
DOn't forget Stamford has Sally's Apizza now. On a bad day it's still better than anyhting in County.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:44 PM

158 posts, read 198,551 times
You still have to go the original locales. I’ll forever cringe when I hear someone say they are going to Sally’s or Pepe’s and they’re talking outside the Elm City.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
You still have to go the original locales. I’ll forever cringe when I hear someone say they are going to Sally’s or Pepe’s and they’re talking outside the Elm City.
I cringe when I see FCounty Albanian and Irish pizza

Old 02-09-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Personal tastes are not wrong. I like the modern style aesthetics in Stamford though I avoid the town as much as possible even being so close. St. Pete's down in FL is doing similar with those styles. Even NH's latest has it, to mix in with gothic Yale and the Victorians. Stamford's waterfront single and multifamily residential severely lacks for the Gold Coast. It's a sore spot. NH has great views. The State is brimming with confidence and activity. It's trending and getting clicks. There's no other way to put it.
DOn't forget Stamford has Sally's Apizza now. On a bad day it's still better than anyhting in County.
Most of the new construction in New Haven is more aesthetically integrated than whatever the hell is going up in Stamford. There’s a few generic boxes, but big projects like Audubon are pretty nicely integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut