Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 PM

21,808 posts, read 28,190,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
A mild surprise but if you think about it, the Black Rock section might be the nicest area of all three. Also, the Fairfield side has nice areas indistinguishable from Fairfield.
I’d say the Prospect Hill/St Ronan/Livingston/etc area of New Haven is even more upscale/nice than coastal Black Rock.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,158,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You didn't check city-data info.

Crime 2019 US Average is 270
New Haven....431
Hartford........379
Bridgeport.....290 (Surprise!)
I'd argue that crime statistics aren't even a very good measurement to look at when considering living in a city. I've lived in downtown Hartford on two different occasions. Crime has never been an issue. Only harmless if sometimes annoying panhandlers. Someone might consider moving to Hartford but what are the odds they are considering moving to the north end of Hartford? Basically zero. Well that's where a large percentage of the crime happens. I've been to the north end of Hartford exactly once. My polling station was there. I went at 3 in the afternoon and it was a non-event. But I'd never make a habit of hanging out there. almost everyone who lives in Hartford on purpose lives downtown or in the West End: both safe areas.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,158,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB160 View Post
I think I do this more on what towns are unique, fun to drive through, visit than to live. Not putting much thought into school quality, taxes, etc.

Group A

Ridgefield vs Ellington - Divided here. Haven't been to Ridgefield much as its a little off the highway. I happened to live near Ellington and I like how it embodies random north-central CT farm town better than anywhere else.

Waterford vs Trumbull - No strong opinion here but Waterford should be penalized for being one of three "water" municipalities in the state.

Group B

Westport vs East Hampton - Liked the little bit I drove through of Westport. East Hampton is OK.

Darien vs Old Lyme

Group C

West Hartford vs Hartford - Only one West Hartford in the state.

Brookfield vs Canton - Canton vs West Hartford will be a good battle next round. Just came back from Canton.

Group D

Farmington vs Woodstock - Easy selection for me.

Orange vs Essex

Group E

Litchfield vs Easton - Seems like people don't mention history much when voting but in addition to the Green I find the history around the law school for instance interesting here.

Clinton vs Salisbury - Would make for a great NW battle next round if gets through vs Litchfield

Group F

Glastonbury vs Cheshire - Battle of the Orchards! I live in Cheshire but few stores here, Route 10 has many rundown older buildings. No issues with the prisons here but lack of downtown is a problem. Roaring Brook is good but unlike the other poster I don't really take into account places that are in nearby towns when voting here. Although Glastonbury lacks walkable downtown there's more stores here I think and South Glastonbury is scenic.

Bethel vs Washington
- I liked driving through it.

Group G

Guilford vs New Canaan - The parts I've seen are nice.

Middlebury vs Avon - By a smidge. I like other towns in that area more.

Group H

Greenwich vs Chester

Norwalk vs Redding

Group I

Stonington vs Newington - Newington feels sort of plain to me.

Marlborough vs Woodbury - I'm generally pretty anti-Route 2.

Group J

Branford vs Sherman - I do like the towns just east of New Haven.

Woodbridge vs Simsbury - Very close.

Group K

New Haven
vs Hebron - Not sure I like New Haven as much as other people here but cool food history, Yale and West/East Rock.

Shelton vs Kent - Tend to be pro-Litchfield county.

Group L

Madison vs Wethersfield - I'd probably take Wethersfield over many of these other towns.

Westbrook vs Newtown - A top 15 town.

Group M

East Lyme vs Roxbury

Weston vs Middletown - Middletown is neat to me. The downtown is quirky and a lot of restaurants. Southern part of town is more rural, Western part is more suburban feel. Nice views on the river.

Group N

Fairfield vs North Haven

Wilton vs Stamford

Group O

Old Saybrook vs Stratford - I like the area near the water here.

Portland vs Wallingford

Group P

Milford vs Bridgewater

Putnam vs North Branford - How did Putnam get this far? Good draw? Is Putnam better than other random Eastern CT towns?

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 3!!!!
Walkable downtown is a term used here frequently but I wonder if we all have the same definition of it. I would actually consider Glastonbury Center a very walkable downtown, but some might disagree simply because it's not really designed that way. There are parking lots in front of everything so people drive everywhere and the sidewalks tend to not be crowded. But you have a downtown area which is still very walkable if that's what you choose. More spread out than West Hartford Center--which I'm guessing people would define as a walkable downtown--but that's not entirely a bad thing. I almost don't like how geographically small and cramped the center and Blue Back Square are. But I guess it gets labelled walkable simply because there isn't enough space to park hence parking garages and people walking--whether by choice or not.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,667,187 times
Hey Guys,

A little Off Topic Here, but for all of you that enjoyed this, if you are all familiar with the 50 States, I just started a tournament like this for the 50 States in the Country, here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...nament-ii.html

Tune in and Vote if you're interested. Just thought I'd throw it out here!

Old 04-02-2023, 08:50 AM

Halfway there until the next tournament guys!!! Hang in There! Next one will start in just about a year from now. Tentatively April 3 2024, but I'll have an exact date closer to the time!

Old 04-02-2023, 06:42 PM

35,017 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Halfway there until the next tournament guys!!! Hang in There! Next one will start in just about a year from now. Tentatively April 3 2024, but I'll have an exact date closer to the time!
Thanks Danny. I’m sure, like me, many can’t wait for it. Jay

Old 04-03-2023, 07:03 AM

854 posts, read 516,075 times
I wonder if we will finally have true Cinderella story go all the way Or does Fairfield rebound to add another ring? Back to back Guilford? Madison rebounds and gets revenge on her sister town? New Haven finally breaks through? So much drama!!

Old 04-03-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I wonder if we will finally have true Cinderella story go all the way Or does Fairfield rebound to add another ring? Back to back Guilford? Madison rebounds and gets revenge on her sister town? New Haven finally breaks through? So much drama!!
I was honestly wondering this as well!!! As of now, judging based on experience, what I am seeing on these forums, and the towns itself, these are my slight early predictions:

Fairfield and Guilford will both have a great tournament and make last 8 at the very least, maybe last 4 even. However, neither of them will win it. Haven't seen any town win back to back yet, but there's a first time for everything.

I see Milford having another great tournament again. Milford has a lot going for it and I believe that the love for the town has really grown so much over the past years. Making two finals in a row is no joke, and I say Milford is an outside contender. Another cinderella story I really see going far is Stonington. I've always felt that Stonington has been having and improving performance every single tournament, and it might just be the time for it to make the Top 4 or even the final.

On the other hand, I predict that this will be a disappointing and underwhelming tournament for Madison. Madison used to be a top contender, but in the past two tournaments, the town has just not lived up to expectations. Madison has a pretty town center and arguably the best beaches in the state, but other than that it doesn't really have much going for it at this rate, and I believe that is why it is losing status, with other towns having a lot more growth.

Now I predicted Guilford to win right last time. I am going to make my early prediction a year a head now. The winner of 2024 tournament I think will be New Haven. I think this will be the year that New Haven finally breaks through and wins it all. There has always seemed to be a growing push for New Haven since the 2020 tournament, and it is an extremely tough town to beat. Fairfield is the only town that has really gotten the better out of it consistently, and the gap keeps closing and it even lost to New Haven last tournament after a lot of drama and a close call. Now since Fairfield and Guilford both have titles, I think there will be an extreme push for a major city to win the title this time, and New Haven will finally do it. I know Milford beat New Haven last tournament, but I really think that was an upset and a few of the Fairfield fans voting against New Haven because of the previous matchup.

My Bold Early Prediction: New Haven beats Stonington in the Final!

Old 04-03-2023, 05:14 PM

854 posts, read 516,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I was honestly wondering this as well!!! As of now, judging based on experience, what I am seeing on these forums, and the towns itself, these are my slight early predictions:

Fairfield and Guilford will both have a great tournament and make last 8 at the very least, maybe last 4 even. However, neither of them will win it. Haven't seen any town win back to back yet, but there's a first time for everything.

I see Milford having another great tournament again. Milford has a lot going for it and I believe that the love for the town has really grown so much over the past years. Making two finals in a row is no joke, and I say Milford is an outside contender. Another cinderella story I really see going far is Stonington. I've always felt that Stonington has been having and improving performance every single tournament, and it might just be the time for it to make the Top 4 or even the final.

On the other hand, I predict that this will be a disappointing and underwhelming tournament for Madison. Madison used to be a top contender, but in the past two tournaments, the town has just not lived up to expectations. Madison has a pretty town center and arguably the best beaches in the state, but other than that it doesn't really have much going for it at this rate, and I believe that is why it is losing status, with other towns having a lot more growth.

Now I predicted Guilford to win right last time. I am going to make my early prediction a year a head now. The winner of 2024 tournament I think will be New Haven. I think this will be the year that New Haven finally breaks through and wins it all. There has always seemed to be a growing push for New Haven since the 2020 tournament, and it is an extremely tough town to beat. Fairfield is the only town that has really gotten the better out of it consistently, and the gap keeps closing and it even lost to New Haven last tournament after a lot of drama and a close call. Now since Fairfield and Guilford both have titles, I think there will be an extreme push for a major city to win the title this time, and New Haven will finally do it. I know Milford beat New Haven last tournament, but I really think that was an upset and a few of the Fairfield fans voting against New Haven because of the previous matchup.

My Bold Early Prediction: New Haven beats Stonington in the Final!
You have the numbers to be sure. I think it's going to be hard for any town east of the river to make it into the final. I wouldn't be shocked if you are right about New Haven. It's only getting better. I feel like Milford's biggest barrier to greatness is the nightmare of the Boston Post Rd. That stretch from Orange most of the way through Milford is soul crushing. On one hand, it provides a lot of great shopping, but it's double edged sword. It reminds me of Paramus, NJ. That horrible commercial stretch hides a lovely town.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:17 AM

6,983 posts, read 3,802,228 times
We Buily this City! The City by the Sound. That's right! NH is poised to take DannyK's 2024 Tourny to the next level, go full UConn on the competition. Forget overrated Fairfield and Milford, they're time has passed, they're soooo 2020. In the same year when someone who can barely walk and talk at the same time wins the biggest landslide election victory in history, New Haven will easily dispose of Guiilford or some barely breathing boring Essex type in the finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut