Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 08:33 AM

21,809 posts, read 28,190,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
You have the numbers to be sure. I think it's going to be hard for any town east of the river to make it into the final. I wouldn't be shocked if you are right about New Haven. It's only getting better. I feel like Milford's biggest barrier to greatness is the nightmare of the Boston Post Rd. That stretch from Orange most of the way through Milford is soul crushing. On one hand, it provides a lot of great shopping, but it's double edged sword. It reminds me of Paramus, NJ. That horrible commercial stretch hides a lovely town.
It’s not as bad as Paramus, that stretch is pure hell

Old 04-05-2023, 02:52 PM

35,018 posts, read 57,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It’s not as bad as Paramus, that stretch is pure hell
I have to agree. I assume they are referring to Route 17 and Route 4. Those are very different than the Post Road in Milford. They are divided highways with no at grade signalized intersection. They also have entrance and exit ramps and traffic travels at pretty high speeds. They are more like the Berlin Turnpike without at grade intersections. These also are major commuter corridors high volumes of traffic. Much more than Route 1. Jay

Old 04-05-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to agree. I assume they are referring to Route 17 and Route 4. Those are very different than the Post Road in Milford. They are divided highways with no at grade signalized intersection. They also have entrance and exit ramps and traffic travels at pretty high speeds. They are more like the Berlin Turnpike without at grade intersections. These also are major commuter corridors high volumes of traffic. Much more than Route 1. Jay
Yeah, I think people that visit the Milford/Orange stretch at the holidays or prime time during Saturday forget that 95% of the time, there's a totally manageable, moderate/light amount of traffic.

Those routes in Paramus seem to always be congested during the day.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:57 AM

854 posts, read 516,075 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think people that visit the Milford/Orange stretch at the holidays or prime time during Saturday forget that 95% of the time, there's a totally manageable, moderate/light amount of traffic.

Those routes in Paramus seem to always be congested during the day.
There are SO many lights and so many people taking lefts. As Jay mentioned, Rt 17 is more of a travel road, but being divided, it has jug handles turn left. I'm not saying the stretch of road is exactly the same. The point is that they are both of a stretch of road that masks how nice the town actually is.

For a lot of people, their only experience with Milford is shopping on weekends. To be honest, it's no day at the beach on weekdays. From time to time, I run out to Whole Foods after work on a weekday. It's not as congested, but it's still busy and a bit of a PITA. On weekends, it's a pure nightmare.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
There are SO many lights and so many people taking lefts. As Jay mentioned, Rt 17 is more of a travel road, but being divided, it has jug handles turn left. I'm not saying the stretch of road is exactly the same. The point is that they are both of a stretch of road that masks how nice the town actually is.

For a lot of people, their only experience with Milford is shopping on weekends. To be honest, it's no day at the beach on weekdays. From time to time, I run out to Whole Foods after work on a weekday. It's not as congested, but it's still busy and a bit of a PITA. On weekends, it's a pure nightmare.
It's honestly never that bad for me aside from midday Saturday and right before holidays, and I've lived here 13 years. Plus, locals learn how to use side roads, so even on busy days it's not that big of a deal. And it's only the stretch from mall to Costco, which is a mile stretch. Whereas in Paramus, I'm pulling my hair out every time I try to shop there. Agree to disagree, I guess?

Old 04-06-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It's honestly never that bad for me aside from midday Saturday and right before holidays, and I've lived here 13 years. Plus, locals learn how to use side roads, so even on busy days it's not that big of a deal. And it's only the stretch from mall to Costco, which is a mile stretch. Whereas in Paramus, I'm pulling my hair out every time I try to shop there. Agree to disagree, I guess?
Paramus is objectively worse as far as traffic, yes, but you are missing my point, though. Paramus is a really nice town, but the first thing non-local think of when think of Paramus is Rt 17. It's the same thing for Milford. Mention Milford to someone east of the river who doesn't have local friends. Most will say the same thing. Milford is a traffic mess. Midday Saturday and holidays is literally the time most people go to Milford. My Madison friends HATE going to Milford to shop.

I grew up in Old Saybrook and spend a year at Southern. I did not like what I saw of the town until I started visiting home with one of my exes. (I lived in Boston at the time.) All I knew of Milford was the BPR. Once I spend some time there, I started to appreciate the town a lot. I agree 100% when you are local, you know the back roads and can miss a lot of the crap, even at peak time. I was there today at an off-peak time. It was still moderately annoying, though admittedly, the Orange section of BPR is worse.

This relates to the Town Tourney because I know a lot of people have a lower opinion of Milford because they only go there during peak traffic.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Paramus is objectively worse as far as traffic, yes, but you are missing my point, though. Paramus is a really nice town, but the first thing non-local think of when think of Paramus is Rt 17. It's the same thing for Milford. Mention Milford to someone east of the river who doesn't have local friends. Most will say the same thing. Milford is a traffic mess. Midday Saturday and holidays is literally the time most people go to Milford. My Madison friends HATE going to Milford to shop.

I grew up in Old Saybrook and spend a year at Southern. I did not like what I saw of the town until I started visiting home with one of my exes. (I lived in Boston at the time.) All I knew of Milford was the BPR. Once I spend some time there, I started to appreciate the town a lot. I agree 100% when you are local, you know the back roads and can miss a lot of the crap, even at peak time. I was there today at an off-peak time. It was still moderately annoying, though admittedly, the Orange section of BPR is worse.

This relates to the Town Tourney because I know a lot of people have a lower opinion of Milford because they only go there during peak traffic.
Well, yeah, I agree the town is unfairly judged by a mile stretch of road, since that’s where most people shop, when 99% of the town is different, and a lot less traffic.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:01 PM

6,984 posts, read 3,802,228 times
Quote:

On the contrary I know some who live for US1 in Milford/Orange. It’s all they talk about sometimes.
It’s no doubt the most dominant stretch of US1 Big Box Big Chain in the state and reminiscent of similar out of state Big Shopping stretches as well. There are numerous examples up and down the East coast you can cite along with Paramus. They may not be 100% carbon copies but I get where you’re coming from.
Just to be crystal clear, this is not meant as a slight. It’s still the biggest sandy beach town in Western CT and nobody can take that away. No one!
The first thing I think of when I hear the name Milford is that I need to go pack a cooler and load the umbrella and beach chairs on the truck, not US1.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
On the contrary I know some who live for US1 in Milford/Orange. It’s all they talk about sometimes.
It’s no doubt the most dominant stretch of US1 Big Box Big Chain in the state and reminiscent of similar out of state Big Shopping stretches as well. There are numerous examples up and down the East coast you can cite along with Paramus. They may not be 100% carbon copies but I get where you’re coming from.
Just to be crystal clear, this is not meant as a slight. It’s still the biggest sandy beach town in Western CT and nobody can take that away. No one!
Norwalk, Wallingford, Newington/Wethersfield, Danbury/Brookfield. All the same kind of shopping district.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I have total love-hate relationship with that stretch of road. I hate needing to go there. I hate driving on it. I love that it has almost every store I need, including REI. I don't know anyone who enjoys going shopping here, but I know a lot of people who are damn glad it's only 30 minutes away.

EDIT: I'll bet your FFC friend have a better tolerance for the traffic. The traffic game is totally different east of New Haven. Not too long age, I was immune from 20 year of Eastern MA traffic hell, but now I fully rewired to Shoreline East mode.

Last edited by WestRiverTraveler; 04-06-2023 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Adding on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut