Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Moreover if that was the case. Was the world "horrified" when American soldiers were dragged through the streets and hung from bridges? How about when they were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu?

Was the world horrified when simple American workers like Nick Berg or Paul Johnson were beheaded?

You know what...I'm not going to get myself worked up this morning. You get the jist.
Yes. They are. Why do you feel they aren't (or didn't) feel outrage?

Those same Americans were horrified that our service members were treated with utter disregard at our "Crown Jewel" of military hospitals.

People who see an injustice react. That's what's happening with the hit-and-run. Use it as a springboard for change. It's time we embrace what is wrong and fix it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:15 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,844 times
While I am sure those in CT are feeling picked on, the question to ask is "What can we do to make this better...so it doesn't happen again in our country?" I am wondering if the CT residents are spending more time deflecting the issue than addressing it head on like it should be. Then, by example, we can all learn on how to address the issue of our lack of compassion for another human being and make sure it doesn't happen anywhere in our country.

Diluting it and minimizing it by saying "this is not just happening in our area" doesn't allow anyone to acknowledge that it did, in fact, happen in that area and should be addressed instead of offering excuses.

Until someone takes ownership of the problem, it will continue to be a problem.

But that won't happen as long as people feel offended by the public outcry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Just a Note to 'out of stater's deciding to jump on the band wagon and bash/trash Hartford.

First of all, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But there is a fine line between opinion and flaming or trolling.

Secondly this type of crime is not, by any stretch of the imagination endemic to Hartford alone. Any hope or delusion that this is the case is certainly subjective and untrue. American culture and what it breeds in brutality and anger exists everywhere.

I find it amusing that some 'visitors' to the CT forum come from states with crime rates that are off the board, compared to even Hartford, see fit to visit the Connecticut forum and gleefully submit sarcastic/negative posts on the lack of civility here. People in glass houses should never throw stones.

I feel myself and the other moderator have been fair and liberal about people expressing what they feel- I wonder if any of us would be greeted so kindly on other forums with some of the rather nasty stuff that has been posted here.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Does anyone know how the man is doing now? Is he going to be ok? Is he still in the hospital?

I like the idea of sending him cards. I think that is wonderful. I'm going to be in the hospital starting Tuesday for a few days myself. If someone can post the hospital address on here and the man's name, I will have my husband get a card at my hospital and mail it to him.
According to media sources he was taken to Hartford Hospital. I don't know if he is still there??? Does anybody else know??????

Angel Arce Torres

Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour St
Hartford, CT 06115
(860) 545-5000

You might also consider sending the card to this restaurant. I have a feeling that it will find its way to him.

El Bohio Cafe
90 Park Rd
Hartford, CT 06101

Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
He is still at Hartford Hospital and he is in critical condition.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
If my 16 year old son was that poor man who was hit I wouldnt care if 100 people called 911....get out there, comfort him, tell him help is on the way, flag cars down so no one hits him again...dang, I cant believe some of the excuses I am finding on this thread. Hopefully he will live through all this and he and his family will find some comfort in all those who sent him well wishes and prayers.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
If my 16 year old son was that poor man who was hit I wouldnt care if 100 people called 911....get out there, comfort him, tell him help is on the way, flag cars down so no one hits him again...dang, I cant believe some of the excuses I am finding on this thread. Hopefully he will live through all this and he and his family will find some comfort in all those who sent him well wishes and prayers.
Let me put this in perspective for you since you live in a MAJORLY segregated region of "rich" and "poor" yourself:

Picture this happening in the Over-the-Rhine section of Cincinnati. Now you get it.

In the nice "safe" suburb you live in, it would be expected...same here.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Connecticut residents are not deflecting the issue. If you read Sunday's Hartford Courant you will see that the Chief of Police made a very telling statement about a loss of human compassion and decency. One of the city councilmen contemplated quitting because he felt defeated by not only this incident but the beating of former Mayor Carbone walking to breakfast at 7:30 am. This past week there were two murders in this area and last night there were a number of people arrested related to shooting incidents where fortunately nobody was killed.

The governor is sending in the state police like previous governors have in the past because the Hartford police department is understaffed and not equipped to deal with this degree of violent crime. BTW, this IS a problem in many areas of the country as overall Connecticut is considered one of the safer states to live in.

As previous posters, including myself, have indicated poverty is an underlying factor in these violent areas. The fact that we have some of the richest areas and poorest areas in the country in our small state of 3.5 million or so compounds the problem. Our state has one of the highest numbers of college graduates but also has some of the poorest cities with the highest dropout rates. How do you think the uneducated dropouts do in a state geared toward degree and post secondary skill-related employment? Not well. There aren't many jobs that a 8th, 9th, or 10th grade dropout can obtain and earn a living capable of supporting the high cost of living here.

It's not that our educational system doesn't have qualified, caring, or dedicated teachers. We do. We are among one of the most difficult states to obtain a teaching certificate with numerous hours of course work, testing, and student teaching requirements before entering the classroom and on-going training and professional development as well as advanced degree requirements in order to maintain one's teaching license.

We have a growing poverty class in America. It is due to a multitude of factors with about 90% boiling down to children being raised by a single mother. The social programs, money, counseling, mentoring, educational initiatives, etc.

The cold hard reality is that these band-aids make very little difference in changing the problems associated with poverty and in many cases reinforce the structural problems.

The day we stop all the PC talk and admit that we need to find a solution to children being born out of wedlock and raised by an ill-equipped and largely uneducated single mom then things will only continue to get worse.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 06-09-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Does anyone know how the man is doing now? Is he going to be ok? Is he still in the hospital?

I like the idea of sending him cards. I think that is wonderful. I'm going to be in the hospital starting Tuesday for a few days myself. If someone can post the hospital address on here and the man's name, I will have my husband get a card at my hospital and mail it to him.
Please check some of my earlier post here you find the info you are looking for , & thanks from me >

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Let me put this in perspective for you since you live in a MAJORLY segregated region of "rich" and "poor" yourself:

Picture this happening in the Over-the-Rhine section of Cincinnati. Now you get it.

In the nice "safe" suburb you live in, it would be expected...same here.
No, I dont get it...I cant wrap my brain around it no matter WHERE it would happen or who it would happen to. I cant imagine myself or anyone else dying or thinking they are going to die all by themselves feeling totally helpless. I've seen people run to the aid of a dog hit in the street. I am sorry this upsets me and I am not blaming a community. But you watch all these shows now showing how people are afraid to get involved or turn the other cheek. Sometimes bystanders call the police, sometimes they dont. This should be a reality check to a lot of people that we need to get back to helping thy neighbor-whether you know them or not.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
No, I dont get it...I cant wrap my brain around it no matter WHERE it would happen or who it would happen to. I cant imagine myself or anyone else dying or thinking they are going to die all by themselves feeling totally helpless. I've seen people run to the aid of a dog hit in the street. I am sorry this upsets me and I am not blaming a community. But you watch all these shows now showing how people are afraid to get involved or turn the other cheek. Sometimes bystanders call the police, sometimes they dont. This should be a reality check to a lot of people that we need to get back to helping thy neighbor-whether you know them or not.
I am watching the BBC evening news right now. I just watched a report stating that an estimated 3 million children are starving to death as the world stands by. Their own leaders won't help the people. They don't have oil or anything else of value so they don't even get the attention of the United Nations.

The situation of 100,000 dead in Burma and their leaders not letting in aide.

The residents of these countries don't have any choices. Our residents do.

Looking at the video, I don't know why nobody stopped driving or got off the curb to comfort the man. I certainly would have as would most people I know. But then again I don't usually travel to that area because there is little reason for anyone living outside that area of Hartford to go there unless they are looking for ethnic foods, clothing or wish to purchase drugs or solicit a prostitute. That is the sad truth. It is not a area of true diversity. It is an area of extreme poverty. Something has to be done to break the vicious cycle. That requires a moral and cultural shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut