Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Winters here vary

Actually about one half of the state- below the I 84 corridor has a 'humid subtropical climate'

from wikipedia

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. The average yearly snowfall is about 25–100" (64–254 cm) across the state, with higher totals in the northwest. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.[16]

also about the state
Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

winters in central CT begin about mid December- and ebb by late March
Mid April to about late November are rather temperate- but July and the first half of August can become quite hot and humid at times.

The period from mid to late August to Thanksgiving is very pleasant and benign.

I especially like the bolded part. Summer in North Texas can last well into October..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
Octobers here Syn average about 68 degrees at months beginning- and 56 by Halloween- for daytime highs-although temps in early October can sometimes be 75-80- and in early November 65-70 can be common- all with cool to chilly nights.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM

94 posts, read 162,214 times
South Windsor has nice things to do and it has Evergreen Walk, which impressed me.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Octobers here Syn average about 68 degrees at months beginning- and 56 by Halloween- for daytime highs-although temps in early October can sometimes be 75-80- and in early November 65-70 can be common- all with cool to chilly nights.

I could live enjoy that environment very well. October here in North Texas can still be hot. I've seen Halloweens that were in the 90s. Of course, the nice people in Texas make up for the sometimes brutal climate.

By the responses on this thread, I believe that Connecticut would be a good fit for me and the family.

Thank you so much for your helpful responses. I'll be crossing my fingers that things work out and I can relocate to your beautiful state very soon.

However, I am an Okie (Oklahoman), so I'd like for you folks to not judge me from my accent..

Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM

Well Mike

we welcome all here- most of those in Connecticut have no accents-
The traditional Connecticut accent like famous state native and icon Katherine Hepburn has mostly faded- if you want Paak ya carr- you to Boston or Providence or maybe Worcester----

and thats really Woosta LOL

Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM

I love Katherine Hepburn!

My accent isn't TOO strong, but I have been told by a good friend from New Hampshire that I sound a lot like
Huckleberry Dog.. LOL!

Personally, I swear that I sound nothing like that!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM

I would not worry too much about an accent

The thing that counts the most in you are and your family making a successful move- and starting a new life. Connecticut is a diverse state- any many folks here have accents that Far far more 'exotic' then yours.

I met a gal a few weeks ago who moved here with her family from the East Bay (SF area of Calif.) And I helped a couple relocate from the Washington DC area to Tolland county- and another gal from Anchorage AK to North Adams Mass!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Synopsis - Welcome to Connecticut. I think that as major cities go, Hartford is not bad. As noted the city itself is small in area and population so crime rates for the city itself will be higher when compared to larger cities. Also, Hartford does have many nice neighborhoods that are safe so I would not be concerned about living in one of them or in one of the many wonderful suburbs we have. If you have any other questions, please let us know and we will be happy to help. Jay

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM

94 posts, read 162,214 times
Quote:
Well Mike

we welcome all here- most of those in Connecticut have no accents-
The traditional Connecticut accent like famous state native and icon Katherine Hepburn has mostly faded- if you want Paak ya carr- you to Boston or Providence or maybe Worcester----

and thats really Woosta LOL
It's not that they do not have accents, it's that they are more along the lines of Standard American. There are some people with varying degrees of New England (MA/RI) accents in the far eastern parts of the state, as well as many with varying degrees of a New York accent to the west. I, for one, occasionally pronounce words like orange and forest, ahrange and fahrest. I also pronounce cot and caught, more like caht and cawt. In CT, you will find all different types of accents.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,104,262 times
When I was growing up in Simsbury a number of people from the southern region moved to our town. I had friends from Kentucky, Alabama, North Carolina and Georgia to name a few. The accent will not present a problem in most areas of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut