Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are a gay male couple who prefer to be out, yet want to adopt and buidl a family in the future. We live in Southern California, but as everyone else has pointed out this is not the best place to raise children. I am going to complete my doctorate in psychology (clinical psychology) in about 2 years,and then we will be able to plan our move. It appears that there are plenty of jobs in mental health in CT from my recent job searches. Also, we like small to medium sized cities, lots of diversity, and being in close proximity to the arts. My partner and I are both creative types as well. Any information on CT would be helpful, including feedback concerning acceptance of openly gay couples and families, real estate tips, i.e., affordable but good square footage, and prefer near a happening arts community. We appreciate any feedback- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are a gay male couple who prefer to be out, yet want to adopt and buidl a family in the future. We live in Southern California, but as everyone else has pointed out this is not the best place to raise children. I am going to complete my doctorate in psychology (clinical psychology) in about 2 years,and then we will be able to plan our move. It appears that there are plenty of jobs in mental health in CT from my recent job searches. Also, we like small to medium sized cities, lots of diversity, and being in close proximity to the arts. My partner and I are both creative types as well. Any information on CT would be helpful, including feedback concerning acceptance of openly gay couples and families, real estate tips, i.e., affordable but good square footage, and prefer near a happening arts community. We appreciate any feedback- Thanks!
Okay, I'm probably going to get blasted here but I don't understand the need for the "out" thing.

Just be yourself, mind your business, don't look for special rights, be a good citizen and you'll be fine. If "out" means marching "pride" parades and putting 1400 rainbow stickers on your car, expect the normal responses.

Just don't move here expecting the gay marriage bill to be approved anytime soon. Civil unions, however are currently recognized.

Good luck from a direct speaking yankee.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 PM

217 posts, read 890,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Hello Everyone,

Being out is no big deal here. We had a gay couple who were neighbors, and we are still in touch. NOone is our neighborhood gave it a second thought. OUr kids are best friends. West Hartford may be agood town for you. Very diverse and artsy type shops. If you Work in mental health ist a a short communte to IOL. and the other mental helath faclities around . West Hartford also has good schools. Just be prepared for the cold comming from Souther Califonia!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 80,924 times
Hmmm...I'm a 30 year old gay male that moved from Maine to CT 7 years ago. I wouldn't do it again but I'm a city guy living in what I affectionately call "suburban hell." Anyhow, here in Central CT I don't think you will have any problem being out (and, yes that is important) as I have tons of single and coupled gay friends all over the state with no major issues. I agree that W. Hartford is more gay, artsy and hip. But its also pricey. Another place to look is Middletown. It contains the state psychiatric hospital as well as being across the river from a private psych. hospital in Portland. It has an area that is designated as an art district (albeit small but ever growing). It is also only 20 min from Hartford and 30 from W. Hartford. It's a nice place with reasonably priced housing and is literally in the middle of everything, both in ct and 2 hours each from Boston or NYC.
And, our civil unions carry all the state benefits of marriage.
Hope this helps!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 8,001 times
I live in west hartford and it is a very diverse place. West hartford Center is alive and vibrant with plenty of small shops and galaries. if you want affordable housing than you might want to move into the southern part of town where houses are on average smaller but you could still find 3 to 4 bedroomsfor less than 300,000. West hartford center tends to be jacked up in prices but good deals can still be found. i live about 1 mile from the center and my house has 4 bedrooms 3 baths and is around 2800 sq feet for a little under 400,000. some suburbs include east hartford which is kinda run down in parts and high in crime, then farmington which is upscale like west hartford just a smaller population(around 30,000 i think). Avon which is a very wealthy town and one of the highest incomeplaces in ct. weathersfield is mostly middle class but not much is there. if you wan to, hartfords west end isnt that bad and near asylum hill district u could get a condo near Ezlizabeth park(a very nice park dating back to 1800s) alot of mansions around there wonderful view of Downtown Hartford. i would recomend West hartford of everything.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
West Hartford and Hartford's west end are very diverse and have a large, significant and active gay and lesbian community. However even though Connecticut for the most part is suburban to small towns, with a few medium sized cities- the gay population is very spread out. Artsy Salisbury in the rural NW part of the state is very Liberal- New Haven has a very large Gay and Lesbian population. Middletown also has an active gay scene.

The rural and pastoral eastern part of the state, in the towns of Woodstock, Pomfret and Putnam have a thriving arts community with beautiful historic homes and Inns which now attracts many gay/lesbian couples. Nearby are are world class eateries and wineries.

Eastern CT also will have the lowest real estate prices- and be close to the best gay city in New England-Providence RI- which has the Rhode Island School of Design, Brown and other schools.

The CT state legislature is about to introduce the gay marriage bill again soon- the Democrats have veto proof majorities in both houses, and might have enough votes to over ride the GOP governors opposition.

Connecticut passed the gay civil unions law last year- and has had hate crime laws and anti discrimination laws since 1991. Being 'out' here is no problem- the state is perhaps the third most gay friendly in the country after Vermont and DC.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-02-2007 at 05:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I agree with debct, being out really isn't a big deal around here. In general people keep their business to themselves, whether it be religion, sexual orientation or whatever.

I agree that West Hartford, New Haven, and Middletown are all good choices where you will have a vibrant arts community, more diversity and all of that good stuff. Hartford would be fine too, but there are more areas in Hartford I wouldn't live in than ones I would due to safety concerns (gun violence is a problem in the city). There are many more liveable, safe areas in the other cities mentioned.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satmad35 View Post
Hmmm...I'm a 30 year old gay male that moved from Maine to CT 7 years ago. And, our civil unions carry all the state benefits of marriage.
Hope this helps!
As long as you stay in state. Unlike marriages, they're not recognized by other states.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM

36 posts, read 179,988 times
Danbury.

they have a big renowned hospital and plenty of crazy people that need mental health help

they also have An Outspoken Gay Population And Even Advertise On On Billboards for their saloons.

Triangles is the name. There motto "Connecticuts friendliest gay nightclub"

Last edited by deadcrowsflyeast; 02-02-2007 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 03:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Default Wow!!!

Hello Everyone!

We did not expect this many responses in less than 24 hours. But, Thank you very,very much. I think we are going to make the right decision about CT.

Thank you, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut