Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

112 posts, read 243,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Is Hartford or New Haven say, Compton, CA? No...but it's heading that way.
Opps! I mis-spoke without checking the numbers! Statistics from this site show Compton, CA and New Haven, CT to be about even crime wise and New Haven actually has a HIGHER percentage of residents living in poverty.

Now, now...I know I'll get responses "but New Haven is smaller...include surrounding towns the numbers would be lower..." but I am talking about city vs city. Include numbers from some cities/towns in Orange County, CA and Compton's numbers would be lower too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:40 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Opps! I mis-spoke without checking the numbers! Statistics from this site show Compton, CA and New Haven, CT to be about even crime wise and New Haven actually has a HIGHER percentage of residents living in poverty.

Now, now...I know I'll get responses "but New Haven is smaller...include surrounding towns the numbers would be lower..." but I am talking about city vs city. Include numbers from some cities/towns in Orange County, CA and Compton's numbers would be lower too.
Compton and Orange County are a lot further apart than New Haven is to North Haven, Woodbridge, West and East Haven. Just saying...

Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 PM

25 posts, read 50,771 times
Default L.A. gang member allegedly trucked coke to Waterbury

http://rep-am.com/news/local/491341.txt (broken link)

Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Quote:
I agree with you that there are drug problems nationwide. However, gang problems? Not so much. I've been to many cities and towns, including bigger cities than Hartford and was not scared to walk around ANY part, even being a female by myself late at night. Do that in New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport or even some of the smaller towns in CT? I dont think so! As far as not seeing trouble unless you go looking for it? Tell that to the family of the 11 year old who was shot in New Haven. Yet another innocent casualty of a drive by shooting gone wrong.
I said most places.

In Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport... you are more likely to find it. More likely to get caught in crossfire. Unfortunate for that 11 year old girl, real sad to see innocents get killed over this stupidity.

Putnam? Sorta perhaps. There is some trouble, but not a high violence threat though. You gotta be asking for it out there.

Wilton? When was the last time you heard of someone getting shot there? Working tha corners pushin' dat crack? If anyone's using in Wilton, they're probably going to Bridgeport and taking it back to the McMansions.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The topic sounds like it'd be a great satirical novel.

THE GANGS OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY

Maybe even a screen-play. With Robert DeNiro, Chevy Chase, and Brad Pitt.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
Default You must not get out much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrewer2 View Post
what nonsense....lived here for 25 years and sell RE here and NEVER seen gangs even referenced in a newspaper.we have our share of poverty related crime etc but organized its not....
The gangs are getting smarter and more organized. They no longer fly colors, flags and even tattoos. They "Blend In"..
True, stamford is now rated 11th safest city. But, lets not be ignorant about gangs and statistics.
There is a gang presence in Stamford. The East and West sides were in under a turf war between the Bloods and Crips a few years ago, The Latin Kings had a Strong Presence in the 1990s, they are still there.
The Stamford PD does a good job of catching criminals in a timely fashion, but that is after the fact.

Is Stamford LA? no.
Is Stamford Bridgeport? no
Is Stamford Miami? no
But Stamford Has Gangs.
You may not see it,
but then again, perhaps you are not looking either...

Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Who is this Oval gang that seems to tag the entire Stamford-Norwalk corridor? I swear the region would have essentially no graffiti if "Oval" was eradicated. The epicenter is SoNo area, but I see the tags along Metro North structures from Fairfield until Port Chester on the train as well as 95 signage for a similar vicinity. I despise graffiti and wish the authorities would do more to catch the violators (should be pretty easy) and assign them to site remediation upon apprehension. Truly makes my skin crawl it terms of unsightliness and value destruction.... I was also really hoping it would die out with the 90s but it continues to have staying power!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM

146 posts, read 189,478 times
3 major cities in CT are on 25 most dangerous US cities list! For such a small state this is just nuts.
What a "great" place to live...

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbitryan View Post
The gangs are getting smarter and more organized. They no longer fly colors, flags and even tattoos. They "Blend In"..
True, stamford is now rated 11th safest city. But, lets not be ignorant about gangs and statistics.
There is a gang presence in Stamford. The East and West sides were in under a turf war between the Bloods and Crips a few years ago, The Latin Kings had a Strong Presence in the 1990s, they are still there.
The Stamford PD does a good job of catching criminals in a timely fashion, but that is after the fact.

Is Stamford LA? no.
Is Stamford Bridgeport? no
Is Stamford Miami? no
But Stamford Has Gangs.
You may not see it,
but then again, perhaps you are not looking either...

Don't get excited. Karen hasn't been back to this forum in quite awhile. We had to chase her spamming no class obnoxious Darien butt off the forum.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
3 major cities in CT are on 25 most dangerous US cities list! For such a small state this is just nuts.
What a "great" place to live...

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider
Unless you live directly in a "city" and a bad part of the city at that, CT is quite "safe". Go move down south if you think here isnt safe. At least here you know where the crime is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut