Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM

93 posts, read 394,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
But when one starts being touted as "better" of the other - it's all relative people.
Great line. And just because NC may not have the culture, four seasons, "acceptable" pizza and deli's that CT does, doesn't make CT better. Right, JViello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
BigHouse, sorry you dislike NC. Maybe you should move back.
I think that's the plan.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,656,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
BigHouse, sorry you dislike NC. Maybe you should move back.
Never said I did not like it. There are aspects of it that I really do not care for but at the same time, I enjoy the things that matter to me the most. I just prefer CT. And we are planning on moving back. Thank you though.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 394,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Never said I did not like it. There are aspects of it that I really do not care for but at the same time, I enjoy the things that matter to me the most. I just prefer CT. And we are planning on moving back. Thank you though.
Good luck with your move!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 98,728 times
Dand,

Just wanted to chime in and share that my experiences with neighbors in CT mirrors yours. I lived on my block for almost 5 years and I really only spoke to 4 of our neighbors (live on a cul de sac in Glastonbury with 14 homes). The other neighbors only spoke when they wanted information. The only family we really will think about keeping in touch with is an older couple who have gone out of their way to be nice in the time we've been here. Other neighbors are worried about their Glastonbury lineage (of which we have none) and despite the fact that we are likely more educated and more financially sound -- we don't flaunt it and no one knows it thus we are "less than." It's amazing to me.

I am not bashing CT and hope those staunch defenders of the state don't take my comments out of context -- just sharing my personal experience. I own property in CT, CA, and AZ and have to say of all the states my property here has been the biggest financial disappointment. Yes prices are somewhat cheaper, but as I mentioned earlier the taxes are WAY higher thus cost of living is very high here.

Sky -- you keep going with your stats but I will tell you from having lived in CA (northern and southern) and CT -- CT is comparable in prices to CA and more expensive in terms of housing, car tax and other incidentals such as air travel, food (especially produce) and child care. I really don't care to hear any more of your stats cuz they are just that -- what I am telling you is from experience.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,031,329 times
The NAR says it all regarding house prices

the problems in CT some have had here - well they need to look in the mirror- its easy to blame others- what where your expectations? You need to do a personal reassessment. Therapy? Meds? perhaps both. Also you pine about how 'cold' people are here- what the hell- I am free willing and able- meet me for coffee or wine--sure I am wiling to make you feel welcome- willing to take the risk? I am cool.

Housing and living costs-go back and check the figures- those stats do not lie. Your 500K home in Glastonbury may buy you a 'decent condo' in the major markets in California- or a crappy starter home in a crack neighborhood in Downey , Cerritos or East Palo Alto.

Claims that prices are the same here as in the major and minor markets of CA have not been proven and those assertions are silly-PLEASE Over 700K for median home prices in the SF bay area
near 600K in LA, Orange county and SD-please And I have lived and been back to California- and what you get for your money is NOTHING.

Claims that prices are the same in CT outside of Fairfield county (and even within FF Cty) are false.

Housing prices in metro Hartford, New Haven, Middletown, New London, Norwich are at least 250-500 thousand less then any market in California.

Some can sit and spin -however the stats tell all -housing prices here outside of Fairfield county are MUCH cheaper- and Metro Hartford is cheaper then that culture less Hell hole Phoenix.

Some advice; if you dislike it here SO MUCH-Leave CT-go back to California- and live your life.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-24-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,447 times
okay I didn't read all 10 pages of this post but we moved to Charlotte from CT almost 3 years ago and I really wish we hadn't. For our family it is so boring here...very vanilla...chain restaurants, big box stores, housing developments ...little history and culture, very few day trips to be had. CT offers so much more than Charlotte (we live in lake norman and lived in Cheshire in CT) Schools for one..CT's are superior..they are pathetic here. The only thing cheaper here is housing and taxes..but if you want better schools you need to go the private route so you won't be saving any $. Groceries are a lot more here as is health coverage.

From CT I miss the small town festivals, fun day (close by) trips (zoo, aquariums, museums here there is just 1 museum for kids and no zoo or aquarium) mom and pop restaurants and stores, the shore, the uniquness of the 4 corners of the state, lake warmaraug (the lake here is scary..it is dammed by the nuclear power plant), real neighborhoods, close to NYC and Boston and so much more!!!

I don't understand it when people say they want to move here for a bigger house and a better quality of life. Yes our house here is bigger but who cares? It is just a house...bigger does not make it a *home*..they are so cookie cutter here..if you look down the street you see the same model over and over and over. And for quality of life..definetly not better here! It is a very banal existance.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 PM

217 posts, read 891,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post
I might have dropped it a couple times here or there but I am moving to Charlotte in May. I just got back from a trip apartment hunting with my girlfriend and my mother. I am active in the Charlotte forum and posted my thoughts on my trip there, and thought maybe a few of you would be interested in reading it as well since I am more active in the CT forum. Here is the thread. Back from Charlotte Visit

We are looking into the Charlotte area too. We are looking into Indain trail We are also looking into the Omaha area and the Kansas City area.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
okay I didn't read all 10 pages of this post but we moved to Charlotte from CT almost 3 years ago and I really wish we hadn't. For our family it is so boring here...very vanilla...chain restaurants, big box stores, housing developments ...little history and culture, very few day trips to be had. CT offers so much more than Charlotte (we live in lake norman and lived in Cheshire in CT) Schools for one..CT's are superior..they are pathetic here. The only thing cheaper here is housing and taxes..but if you want better schools you need to go the private route so you won't be saving any $. Groceries are a lot more here as is health coverage.

From CT I miss the small town festivals, fun day (close by) trips (zoo, aquariums, museums here there is just 1 museum for kids and no zoo or aquarium) mom and pop restaurants and stores, the shore, the uniquness of the 4 corners of the state, lake warmaraug (the lake here is scary..it is dammed by the nuclear power plant), real neighborhoods, close to NYC and Boston and so much more!!!

I don't understand it when people say they want to move here for a bigger house and a better quality of life. Yes our house here is bigger but who cares? It is just a house...bigger does not make it a *home*..they are so cookie cutter here..if you look down the street you see the same model over and over and over. And for quality of life..definetly not better here! It is a very banal existance.
If I had to write my experience, that's really how I felt too when I decided to leave back to CT. Well stated.

I lived in the Pineville/Matthews area and my commute was hell. That commute from Lake Norman is a bear! I feel for you on that one!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 AM

72 posts, read 356,117 times
Default Charlotte.....

I have always found the Carolinas to be great vacation destinations. I was born in NYC and have worked there for most of my adult life - though have lived in CT for many years. Because of this, I think my expectations are different.

I think the people down there are more likely to strike up a conversation with a stranger which is nice, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are friendlier. In CT or NY, you may not get the chatter, but if stranded or lost - I know help from a stranger would be equally available, and that's what counts to me.

There are small quality of life issues down there which make it tough for me to stay for any duration longer than a week: liquor stores/bars closing early, lack of selection in supermarkets, lack of selection/quality in resaurants, slow, slow service(by CT/NYC standards), and of course, lousy pizza. Of course, if these are my only problems, it's embarrassing to complain especially with our boys suffering in Iraq - so I always keep these spoiled comments to myself.

I think it's unquestionably cheaper for housing as a general rule. I was close to buying a 4-bedroom 2750 sq foot 2nd home a few years ago, with a pool and golf course membership for $290,000. Don't think we'd find that anywhere in CT, especially the golf membership. Since they roll up the streets kind of early, I decided I might get bored and ultimately decided against.

I am certain most NC/SC people would look at my post and think that its a typical spoiled Yankee, and they would probably be right. Point is - it's always going to be a bit of a culture shock when a northerner heads down there, and when a southerner moves up here. Things just ain't the same everywhere, and you have to modify your expectations accordingly. I'm just not cut out to live down there, but a vacation there is great. People down there treat us like gold, and we keep coming back to visit, but not over-stay, and I'm sure they are thankful for that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut