Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
IMO I looked at this too when I moved here. I saw most people in CT looked in shape (thin). Then after being here awhile realized it might be the tight budget they are on and they can't actually afford to buy very much food. That would also explain not getting hair cuts and not wearing makeup. All these things are expensive to do and if you don't have the money they are not necessary.
LOL Oh boy...no, it has nothing to do with budget. It has more to do with our culture and lifestyle.

In the South, most of the women "doll up" and it's part of their (Your?) culture. I've noticed that when a person from up "North" moves South they generally try and get them all foo foo'd up. Some love it some hate it.

My wife doesn't wear makup - well very little anyway and gets her hair done ever few months. She's a blonde haired Irish girl who doesn't need it. I actually prefer it over someone that has to go through a transformation before leaving the house. I wake up next to the same person who walks out the door. We can afford her going to the salon twice a month if she wanted too as well as eating enough to get fat, believe me.

It's just a different way of life and priorities.

We are MUCH more active as a whole then other places in not only our daily lives, but in recreation as well...that would explain Colorado as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 AM

893 posts, read 791,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL Oh boy...no, it has nothing to do with budget. It has more to do with our culture and lifestyle.

In the South, most of the women "doll up" and it's part of their (Your?) culture. I've noticed that when a person from up "North" moves South they generally try and get them all foo foo'd up. Some love it some hate it.

My wife doesn't wear makup - well very little anyway and gets her hair done ever few months. She's a blonde haired Irish girl who doesn't need it. I actually prefer it over someone that has to go through a transformation before leaving the house. I wake up next to the same person who walks out the door. We can afford her going to the salon twice a month if she wanted too as well as eating enough to get fat, believe me.

It's just a different way of life and priorities.

We are MUCH more active as a whole then other places in not only our daily lives, but in recreation as well...that would explain Colorado as well.
Yes J you are probably one of the lucky ones living here. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
IMO I looked at this too when I moved here. I saw most people in CT looked in shape (thin). Then after being here awhile realized it might be the tight budget they are on and they can't actually afford to buy very much food. That would also explain not getting hair cuts and not wearing makeup. All these things are expensive to do and if you don't have the money they are not necessary.
It's the culture, standard of living, and most importantly, education of the citizens. I would bet that these same "obese" states have higher rates of smokers and drinkers as well.

Calculating BMI (Body-Mass Index):

Calculate your BMI—Standard and Metric BMI Calculators

Tool: BMI calculator - MayoClinic.com

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-20-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Quote:
Huh? Like JViello said it is more the culture than cost. San Diego/L.A./Orange County come to mind - a very expensive place to live too but different priorities.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Yes J you are probably one of the lucky ones living here. Not everyone is as lucky as you.
LOL Lucky? Oh heck no. I grew up in the ghetto of Waterbury and struggled for everything I have! I work my fingers to the bone for what I have and it's not a lot I can assure you, but it's enough. I've learned to be content in any situation.

It's 7:46pm and I just got back to my office, havn't had dinner or seen my son yet, and have to be at a business meeting at 7am. Not "lucky" at all, just willing to work hard.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
IMO I looked at this too when I moved here. I saw most people in CT looked in shape (thin). Then after being here awhile realized it might be the tight budget they are on and they can't actually afford to buy very much food.
The "value menus" are all well represented at fast-food joints in the state. You can get yourself some nice helpings of fatness for a buck a piece. So, i'd have to disagree with your assessment here.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM

132 posts, read 331,634 times
Quote:
You have lived in GA too, so it should not be a shock to you that people here are thinner and more fit than down south. Taking into consideration the food alone, down south people eat more processed food that is easier to make while recipes in this area consist of a more fresh, Mediterranean diet. The urban areas in the south have a ton more fast food restaurants than all of CT (an urbanized area). That is obvious by simple observation.

Don't have the money? I do not understand your reasoning because people here have a lot more money and higher expectations than in GA. Lack of makeup shows the class of the population here, as well. The hair thing I agree with since CT is so boring when it comes to that. Nothing like the electrocution of Jersey gals and the desperate attempts at style by Georgians however!

Not only do I disagree with you, I think you are being a little rude! It is one thing to have a strong opinion, but another to hurl insulting remarks at an entire population when you know it is not true.

Last edited by aroundthecorner059; 01-20-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
The hair thing I agree with since CT is so boring when it comes to that. Nothing like the electrocution of Jersey gals
LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Has back2dc ever actuall eaten at a Chick-Fil-A's? When I have, I've had great salads with grilled chicken and low fat dressing, dh had a fresh sandwich, and my kids' meals came with fresh fruit. They seemed to have many healthy choices-we liked it.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 AM

893 posts, read 791,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
You have lived in GA too, so it should not be a shock to you that people here are thinner and more fit than down south. Taking into consideration the food alone, down south people eat more processed food that is easier to make while recipes in this area consist of a more fresh, Mediterranean diet. The urban areas in the south have a ton more fast food restaurants than all of CT (an urbanized area). That is obvious by simple observation.

Don't have the money? I do not understand your reasoning because people here have a lot more money and higher expectations than in GA. Lack of makeup shows the class of the population here, as well. The hair thing I agree with since CT is so boring when it comes to that. Nothing like the electrocution of Jersey gals and the desperate attempts at style by Georgians however!

Not only do I disagree with you, I think you are being a little rude! It is one thing to have a strong opinion, but another to hurl insulting remarks at an entire population when you know it is not true.
How in the world did I insult anyone? If you read what I wrote there was nothing insulting. Pure observation on my part of the people around me. I said they were thin had no make up or hair cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut