Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM

228 posts, read 264,343 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all of the pictures posted in this thread. I keep receiving emails from the 75 Tresser management office offering a free month's rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,927 times
Default 992 Summer Street

At 992 Summer Street, on the west side of the street between North and Hoyt streets, is a narrow empty lot between two low-rise office buildings. At one time this was the site of the Highgrove (Forest Street) luxury condo sales office.

Now there is a proposal to demolish Czescik Homes, an aging elderly/disabled public housing project consisting of two brick one-story motel-style buildings on both sides of I-95. One of them is across the river from RBS just south of the old burial ground at SE corner of Richmond Hill and Greenwich avenues. The other is just south of the railroad tracks along Greenwich Avenue north of Pulaski Street. The buildings are right next to the Rippowam/Mill River and came close to being flooded during Hurricane Sandy. Their addresses are 108, 172 and 186 Greenwich Avenue.

The residents would be resettled into a new building at 992 Summer Street, more than a mile to the north. This will be called Summer Place and will be a five-story 48-unit senior project.

Construction will begin in early 2015 with completion in mid-2016.

More info is in the news story here:
Money to replace elderly homes in Stamford | WTNH

There are some renderings here, but this firm is no longer involved in the project, so the renders are likely not representative of the finished product:

http://www.qa-architects.com/docs/ho...mford%2013.pdf

Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
HarborSide Update

Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Stamford is nicest looking city in CT but it would great if it had skyline like Hartford

Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Speaking of skylines, two weekends ago I went to NYC and then decided to go to White Plains simply to photograph around downtown. I took the Bronx River Parkway and, despite that I had taken that parkway multiple times in the past, I became aware of something; you never truly see the White Plains skyline. This despite the exit for downtown White Plains is right there in downtown, just on the other side of the train tracks, and all the high-rises are right there too. It reminded me of the 'issue' with Stamford's skyline.

Downtown White Plains is on a hill, but the hill is hardly noticeable in the Bronx River Parkway because you are basically on it but surrounded by mature trees. On the other hand, I-287 is not on the hill but rather down from it which allows for the hill to be visible from the highway and, naturally, White Plains skyline to be visible too from quite a distance.

Similar to Stamford's skyline which is not visible from I-95 and wouldn't be fully visible even if there were a few high-rises taller than the Trump Parc building. Arriving to Stamford southbound means passing through a trench with the highway on the bed of that trench and arriving northbound also has a lot of trees and in sections is in a similar trench situation. That's why only after the turning after exit 9 southbound and before exit 7 northbound is when Stamford's skyline becomes clearly visible from I-95.

A similar situation happens along route 1, except that driving westward after the McDonald's the road goes down the hill and Stamford's skyline becomes clearly visible in the distance, despite that at that very same distance in I-95 the skyline is practically invisible.

Same situation in New Rochelle. The skyline never truly appears southbound on I-95 until after that turn before the section that the highway is as straight as a ruler (I think its the area where traffic passes under a parking lot.) Downtown New Rochelle is also in an elevated position compared to I-95, especially right in the vicinity of downtown, and this unquestionably helps accentuate the visibility of its skyline.

Whether a skyline is visible and from how far depends on a lot more than the height or number of its tall buildings. Manhattan's skyline is clearly visible from Long Island Sound just south of Stamford. You don't even need to go on a yacht to see it because its also clearly visible from Shippan Point. Along the highways the Manhattan skyline isn't quite visible until you are very near the island, and in most approaches from the north Manhattan's skyline isn't fully visible at all. Its quite a contrast from the New Jersey side where along I-95 the Manhattan skyline is visible for much greater lengths of distance than arriving from the Bronx/Westchester/CT, but its also true that the New Jersey side has a few rolling hills that give drivers along the highways a privilege position to fully appreciate the entire Manhattan skyline from faraway. Not that different from what happens with the visibility of Hartford's skyline along I-91 and along the other highway that needs to be taken to arrive to Storrs (but in reverse, in other words heading towards Hartford the city's skyline is fully appreciated on a stretch the highway is going down a hill.)

Had downtown Stamford been built where the West Side currently is located, Stamford's skyline with its current buildings would had been visible for a much longer stretch along I-95 than currently is the case.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
You can see it southbound...but your right its hidden. New Brunswick , New Rochelle , Stamford , all suffer from Geographical blockage when viewing their skylines. Fixing the issue would require the building of a thicker Downtown with more skyscrapers and supertalls. All 4 cities only have high rises... Skyscrapers tend to punch up through the clouds and and supertalls can be seen from just about anywhere as long as the tree coverage isn't to thick or there aren't any mountains.

Bronx River Parkway Southbound - White Plains,New York by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Stamford 'hole in ground' gets site plan approval - StamfordAdvocate

"Stamford is in the middle of a major housing development boom," Cole said. "This is an important property in the downtown, but it's by no means the only housing we're building downtown. We have something approaching 415 units in construction on lower Summer Street. We're finishing 350 units on Tresser Boulevard. There are three large housing projects already. There's a 650-unit housing project on the post office property two blocks west of hole in the ground. Quite a lot of housing is being built downtown."

Stamford could 135,000+ by 2017 or 2018

and It going time for Stamford to built new schools

Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
This might be the time when that hole will finally be put to good use!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM

STAMFORD — Zoning Board members approved the construction of two apartment towers on the former Atlantic Street post office site Monday night, leaving the future of one of the proposed buildings in the hands of a New Haven court ruling.
The Zoning Board voted 4-1 to approve the construction of the two buildings that will house 325 apartments each during its regular meeting in Stamford Government Center's cafeteria.
But half of the project, proposed by the Stamford-based company Rich Cappelli Associates, LLC, relies on a court ruling to determine if the company has the legal right to purchase the historic post office property.

Zoning Board approves development at former post office - : News

Stamford going need to build new schools too.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 AM

328 posts, read 425,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I took the Bronx River Parkway and, despite that I had taken that parkway multiple times in the past, I became aware of something; you never truly see the White Plains skyline. .

Maybe not from the BRP, but White Plains skyline is clearly visible from the Cross Westchester (287) and it's impressive. The tallest towers are Capelli buildings, the same builder who did Trump Parc in Stamford and the new high rises proposed for the Atlantic Ave site. He also built the Trump Plaza in New Rochelle.

Driving north on 95 near Exit 5 you can now see both Trump and the partial crain for the 22 story Summer House going up on Summer.

The Stamford Zoning Commision has been conservative on building heights -- they trimmed Trump considerably and Capelli was reluctant to go too high on his new proposal. So Stamford skyline may never rival Hartford, New Haven, or White Plains. But in a few years, the city will be the largest in the state, and next to Providence, the biggest between New York and Boston.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut