Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The South End is going to be an extension of downtown. A large percentage of the older infrastructure is going to be eliminated, assuming the rumors are true. Its already completely different from what it once was (it was dangerous, poor, and rundown and the only people that lived there did so because they couldn't afford to live elsewhere in the city; while now its quickly becoming in line with the rest of the city in terms of wealth, its not rundown, and its no longer dangerous plus now people actually want to live down there.)

The South End was the last shoreline area in Stamford that was underutilized, unlike the rest of the city's shoreline which is reserved for well-to-do people that own mansions and otherwise large houses often times with their own private beaches. The only exceptions to this are the four or five public parks/beaches along the shore.
It seemed to forced , development should fit in...it should have been smaller buildings and not high rises...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Once upon a time downtown was a collection of smaller buildings, then new high-rises were built and people accepted them. The same thing will happen with the South End. In fact, its no longer alien to me to consider that Stamford's skyline now includes buildings from south of I-95.

I guess its like NYC with its twin towers. At first it was hard to accept that the twin towers were no longer part of NYC, many people even said NYC is not NYC without the twin towers. Well, NYC is NYC and not only have people accepted that the twin towers don't exist, but looking at NYC's skyline with the Freedom tower is almost natural.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Any updates ?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I had forgotten about this thread. I will definitely update this more often!

Here are a few pics I took over the weekend of the Harbor Square Hotel at Harbor Point (South End).
Looks like there is a stop-work order. According to BLT's lawyer, three hundred construction workers (!) have been dismissed.

Stamford orders BLT to stop work at South End site - StamfordAdvocate

Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM

And here is a video showing construction of the new Stamford Hospital

Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Looks like there is a stop-work order. According to BLT's lawyer, three hundred construction workers (!) have been dismissed.

Stamford orders BLT to stop work at South End site - StamfordAdvocate
It seems BLT and Stamford is always clashing. Hopefully they stay true to their word to expedite the review process and let construction continue.

On another note... what's happening with those 3 ugly circular apartment looking buildings next to UBS. I thought these things were going to be torn down to make way for new buildings?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 PM

The 873 tower of Saint John's cylinders was planned to be torn down half a decade or so ago, but those plans got derailed due to the financial crisis. Seems they're here to stay.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,286 times
I thought I heard more recently they are going to be torn down but felt it was just a rumor and can't seem to find someone who has a more definitive answer.

Anyways... what's happening at the corner of Tresser and Atlantic now? Looks like they put a tarp over a pile of dirt that wasn't there like a week or two ago?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Any updates ?
There are several changes, but I haven't had time to go out photographing.

The David & Lapine Co. Inc. building on West Main Street and West Avenue has been demolished. Don't know what will replace it.

On High Ridge Road in Turn of River there are two construction sites. One is on the southern edge of the shopping district and appears to be new condos. The other is further north near the Town Fair Tire store (across the street) and I don't know what that will be.

The condos near the Stamford Hospital are getting their facade covered.

East Main Street from about the Toyota dealership to where the old Blockbuster Video was is apparently being expanded, which is great. I hope they consider expanding the rest of the stretch all the way up Clark's Hill. That area is a constant traffic bottleneck.

I haven't put attention to the other construction sites, so can't comment on them.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I thought I heard more recently they are going to be torn down but felt it was just a rumor and can't seem to find someone who has a more definitive answer.

Anyways... what's happening at the corner of Tresser and Atlantic now? Looks like they put a tarp over a pile of dirt that wasn't there like a week or two ago?
It may be preparation site work for the post office redevelopment project. The south tower has provoked controversy because plans involve demolition of the post office annex (circa 1939). The developer indicated within the last few months it is ready to proceed with the north tower.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut