Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM

174 posts, read 639,872 times

Advertisements

As of 9:30 this morning, I accepted a full-time job offer in downtown East Haddam The commute is about 35 minutes from New Britain, but I am absolutely thrilled at the idea of LEAVING NB and being closer to East Haddam (within 20 minutes of downtown).

A cursory search of Craigslist didn't yield very many results, though I know it's more expensive to live down there, so I'm starting to look now with plans to move mid June-early July.

The area I'd like to look in starts at the extreme southern part of Middletown, down Rt 9 to the shoreline (Old Saybook; though I doubt anything will be within budget down there), west to Killingworth, and east to Colchester. Those towns are just rough estimates that google maps gives me as 20-25 minutes from E. Haddam.

Of course the deciding factor is my budget, which right now is $850-900 MAX (including heat/hot water, not getting stuck with drafty windows and no insulation again, this time the rent HAS to include heat) for a 1-2 br with enough space for 2 people and 2 cats (4 rooms would be fine).

Are there any local papers that would have more rentals than Craigslist/Apartments.com? I'm so used to searching the Hartford area for stuff that I have very limited knowledge of anything south of Middletown. I can't wait to get out of the city, though, so this is very exciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
As of 9:30 this morning, I accepted a full-time job offer in downtown East Haddam The commute is about 35 minutes from New Britain, but I am absolutely thrilled at the idea of LEAVING NB and being closer to East Haddam (within 20 minutes of downtown). A cursory search of Craigslist didn't yield very many results, though I know it's more expensive to live down there, so I'm starting to look now with plans to move mid June-early July. The area I'd like to look in starts at the extreme southern part of Middletown, down Rt 9 to the shoreline (Old Saybook; though I doubt anything will be within budget down there), west to Killingworth, and east to Colchester. Those towns are just rough estimates that google maps gives me as 20-25 minutes from E. Haddam. Of course the deciding factor is my budget, which right now is $850-900 MAX (including heat/hot water, not getting stuck with drafty windows and no insulation again, this time the rent HAS to include heat) for a 1-2 br with enough space for 2 people and 2 cats (4 rooms would be fine). Are there any local papers that would have more rentals than Craigslist/Apartments.com? I'm so used to searching the Hartford area for stuff that I have very limited knowledge of anything south of Middletown. I can't wait to get out of the city, though, so this is very exciting
If I were you, I would go through a Real Estate Agency to find a rent. The paper in Middletown would be a good source...not sure if it is still the Middletown Press or not..been a long time since I lived over that way. You should be able to find something within your budget thru an Agency and it would more than likely not be a place with drafty windows and you could maybe luck out even more with heat included. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Check Realtor.com they do have rentals if you select that option.
But I would think a 2 bedroom apartment INCLUDING heat and hot water for less then 900 might be a tough find...

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM

174 posts, read 639,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Check Realtor.com they do have rentals if you select that option.
But I would think a 2 bedroom apartment INCLUDING heat and hot water for less then 900 might be a tough find...
I know, we would be perfectly fine w/ a 1 bedroom, though, so hopefully that will increase our options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut