Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 43,344 times

Advertisements

I actually used to live in New Haven CT about 6 yrs ago. See, i joined the military, and moved to Florida. Dont get me wrong the weather in FL is great. Pay sucks and the house market is outrageous! Well just like CT!

I am finishing school soon and i will probably have a few years left on my contract with the gov.

Ive been contemplatin this because the oportunities in Ct are plentyful (job, pay, schools, etc.) My wife has had a tough time finding well paying job, in the area we live at. Most of the Companies around the area are mom and pop owned. No big corporatons. Not to mention the property insurance, huricanes, cost of living (it seems less than Ct but its not, its about the same plus you get paid less!) So, in other words i want to live conmfterble, i could care less about the winters, did it all my life, im sure i can do it again.

Anyways, i have seen an outrageous increase in prices for houses in CT. Even in the Ghetto so to speak. What do you guys recomend as for a bang for your buck kind of Town/City in CT!

Thanks in advance,

Bohemian

Last edited by Bohemian; 07-06-2006 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 33,912 times
Branford is a great area. Good schools, lots to offer. I grew up in Ct. and I know the housing prices are high. good luck!

Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 PM

92 posts, read 455,601 times
Wink Towns

Depends on where you & Mrs.
find jobs.
But you can find a decent size
& price for a home in Enfield, E. Hartford, Windham
county.
Anywhere West of the CT river you'll pay more.

Check out the mil rates in each
town tho.
removed

Good luck!

Last edited by Marka; 07-08-2006 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 60,837 times
Good bang for your buck near New Haven would be Oxford or Seymour

Old 07-12-2006, 01:06 PM

I dont necesarely have to live near New Haven! I just want something decent in CT, where the oportunities are plentiful!

Thanks Fellas, if you guys have additional info please email me @

galarza.carlos@gmail.com

thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 AM

How Pricy is Fairfield Ct?

Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 41,889 times
Hi,

I live in Stamford, which is close to Fairfield. Fairfield is quite expensive, as is just about every town in SW Fairfield county.
I can't stress enough that you should do a lot of thorough research on real estate and the job market in CT for those areas that you are interested in.
You want to know "where the opportunities are plentiful" . Well, here in CT there are really five basic types of areas for jobs: 1) Aerospace manufacturers of some sort (i.e., Sikorsky, Pratt & Whitney, Carrier, etc.); 2) Finance (GE, UBS, Citibank, tons of pilot offices, lots of small investment firms; 3) Universities, 4) Hospitals, 5) Some pharmaceuticals.

If you have skills in one of these markets, you should be able to get a job without too much problem.

You're from CT so I'm assuming you know what the cost of living is like; it is much, much more expensive than Florida. If I lived in Florida, I could live like a King!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckda
Hi,

I live in Stamford, which is close to Fairfield. Fairfield is quite expensive, as is just about every town in SW Fairfield county.
I can't stress enough that you should do a lot of thorough research on real estate and the job market in CT for those areas that you are interested in.
You want to know "where the opportunities are plentiful" . Well, here in CT there are really five basic types of areas for jobs: 1) Aerospace manufacturers of some sort (i.e., Sikorsky, Pratt & Whitney, Carrier, etc.); 2) Finance (GE, UBS, Citibank, tons of pilot offices, lots of small investment firms; 3) Universities, 4) Hospitals, 5) Some pharmaceuticals.

If you have skills in one of these markets, you should be able to get a job without too much problem.

You're from CT so I'm assuming you know what the cost of living is like; it is much, much more expensive than Florida. If I lived in Florida, I could live like a King!
Great info! Thanks a bunch. i wanted to add that the Cost of living in Florida is getting pretty expensive, almost to the same level as CT. Not in all areas i may add, but then again i dont want to live in the middle of no where!

I just think CT has much more to offer! and since the property tax and land value in FL are rising non stop, i think my chances are better over there. My background is in Aerospace so thats a good plus!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 60,837 times
Default Connecticut

If you were going to come to CT, i would recommend northern fairfield county much more than anywhere in So fairfield county.

If it less congested and crowded, and you get a little more for money concerning housing.
There are still things to do and it still has major shopping stores, etc.

It all depends on where you end up working though.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 AM

43 posts, read 276,966 times
Default Relocating

Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown, are good value for your money and good schools.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut