Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 11,490 times

Advertisements

Motorcycles are noise pollution and should be silenced before hitting the roads.

Motorcycles are hard to catch on the highways and so they can break laws and endanger everyone around them.

CT does not seem like a wise place to ride motorcycles with all its congestion and impatient drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

240 posts, read 1,372,134 times
Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
TOM - I didn't say whose fault it would be in the scenario. I smiply said what if my car hit you?
I've seen motorcyclists weave in and out of traffic like they dont exist plenty of times. If a car were to hit you while you are doing that, the car that hits you is NOT at fault...
Sheesh
I do not condone the lawless activity of the overgrown children you may be describing as they "weave in and out of traffic". I've seen it before many times-in the riding community we call them "Squids". Short for squirrly kids". Doesnt make me happy, for everything myself and others do for the motorcycling community after I see the wheelies, stoppies etc.. its like "1 step forward, 3 steps back." The sportbikers have a program on SpeedVision, if the kids didnt have enough ideas on their own one half hour program on the latest "trick" moves will give them plenty to work with. There is a time and a place, however the public highways are neither.
Im not singling out a post by KHO2--but more of a general statement in regards to some observations made of apparent riding behaviors. Here is a sampling of behaviors I have noticed on a typical 30 mile commute on my bike to work at 6am. My count on Monday 7/6. (automobile and pickup truck) 54 people using handheld cell phones. 9 people "text messaging" 2 girls in 2 seperate cars dancing wildly in their seats to club music. 4 cars violated my right of way by swerving into my lane-"no signal, no look" in the mirror. Twice I had to use extreme evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision. And one ignorant moron who flicked a lit cigarette out the window while I was behind him. (yes, he was educated at the traffic light .. I probably encountered about 25 motorcycles commuting. No wheelies, speed was with the flow of traffic, and noticed no weird lane cuts or weaves.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:36 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

People said 10%, 20% Ray just kept saying "nope" I was about to toss out a percent and then it hit me and I blurted out "100%!" Ray said "RIGHT!"

As a rider it is 100% up to us to be aware of our surroundings and what's going on around us...even if the other person is in the wrong, we are the ones on the ground.
That is correct although many riders would disagree. I think if more riders accepted this there would be less issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynott5555 View Post
Motorcycles are noise pollution and should be silenced before hitting the roads.

Not most bikes but I will agree with you on the ones that are. They have already convinced themselves and try to make you believe that if they are loud enough a car won't hit them. See above, it's always the bike riders fault for not being aware.

Motorcycles are hard to catch on the highways and so they can break laws and endanger everyone around them.

Now you're stretching.

CT does not seem like a wise place to ride motorcycles with all its congestion and impatient drivers.
CT is a beautiful place to ride a motorcycle! Agree, it's never fun to have to navigate a bike on hot crowded roadways full of distracted drivers but most of CT is not like that. To me, a dull place to ride would be someplace like Florida or Texas. Flat, hot and straight....blaaaa.

You sound like someone whose wife won't let him get a bike and your envy comes out as anger.

I have no problem with riders not wearing protective gear, but if they choose not to, they should be made to be organ donors.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,490 times
you are correct about my wife :-)

don't get me wrong... i like bikes and most bikers.
and your right..once you get out of fairfield county then there are some nice places to ride in CT.
I am just seriously annoyed with the minority of bad bikers that take it upon themselves to risk my life and my family with their careless attitude.

and why is it legal for bikes to get away with those noise levels?

maybe i'm getting old....

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
I do not condone the lawless activity of the overgrown children you may be describing as they "weave in and out of traffic". I've seen it before many times-in the riding community we call them "Squids". Short for squirrly kids". Doesnt make me happy, for everything myself and others do for the motorcycling community after I see the wheelies, stoppies etc.. its like "1 step forward, 3 steps back." The sportbikers have a program on SpeedVision, if the kids didnt have enough ideas on their own one half hour program on the latest "trick" moves will give them plenty to work with. There is a time and a place, however the public highways are neither.
Im not singling out a post by KHO2--but more of a general statement in regards to some observations made of apparent riding behaviors. Here is a sampling of behaviors I have noticed on a typical 30 mile commute on my bike to work at 6am. My count on Monday 7/6. (automobile and pickup truck) 54 people using handheld cell phones. 9 people "text messaging" 2 girls in 2 seperate cars dancing wildly in their seats to club music. 4 cars violated my right of way by swerving into my lane-"no signal, no look" in the mirror. Twice I had to use extreme evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision. And one ignorant moron who flicked a lit cigarette out the window while I was behind him. (yes, he was educated at the traffic light .. I probably encountered about 25 motorcycles commuting. No wheelies, speed was with the flow of traffic, and noticed no weird lane cuts or weaves.
I sincerely doubt you counted each vehicle for the sake of this thread.

I must say - with this thread in mind - I have been keeping a closer eye on how motorcyclists drive as compared to cars. Even though there are much less motorcycles on the road than cars, it seems a huge percentage of those who ride do so carelessly (mostly in the crotch-rockets), whereas those who drive cars are careful more often. I'm not saying all who ride are dangerous and all who drive cars are careful, but as someone who spends quite a bit of time on the road, the difference between the way the two drive is stunning.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
Try hopping off a loud bike and get on a quiet one and you will see why it is such a safety factor. It is night and day difference, especially on the highway if they don't hear you a lot of the time they don't see you.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I sincerely doubt you counted each vehicle for the sake of this thread.
You've never met a dedicated biker who is not a squid then.

After riding with the motorcycle safety director for CT - who rides YEAR round BTW regardless of rain, snow etc...I can believe it. Ray can spout stats and things that make you go...

Some hard core bikers are a little tweaked.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You've never met a dedicated biker who is not a squid then.

After riding with the motorcycle safety director for CT - who rides YEAR round BTW regardless of rain, snow etc...I can believe it. Ray can spout stats and things that make you go...

Some hard core bikers are a little tweaked.
I know a couple of dedicated, safe bikers.

54 people in a 30 mile trip (1.8 people per mile) talking on their cell phone? I highly doubt that's true, and even if it were, I highly doubt one can accurately count them. "Tweaked" or not, I don't buy it.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,339 times
I feel sad just like the many of you whenever I hear of any roadway deaths and especially those on motorcycles. I think the fact still remains though that accidents will continue to happen for whatever reasons. Drunk driving is one reason along with a few others we can still work on and have a bit of control over but point is accidents will happen. Along with that statistic, a percentage of those accidents will be motorcycle riders. It's just the nature of the vehicle that if they have an accident... they're unprotected and it will probably be bad. Just like someone else said... live by the sword, die by the sword. I think it's important everyone realize the risk in the activities we undertake, really understand it. Know that you may be the victim of an outcome you have no control over. After that... we're all just rolling the dice.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
As a rider, I can confirm that at times I have ridden a little crazy. The main issue for me is the intoxicating power and confidence inspiring handling modern sport bikes and motorcycles in general have. To have that kind of performance at the twist of the right hand, it's difficult to resist the temptation. Very difficult indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut