Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,702 times

Advertisements

A fatal motorcyle accident closed down Route 2 in Marlborough today, as the police said a car clipped a motorcyclist, sending him off the highway and into a patch of trees. It bothers me that everyone jumps to conclusions that the motorcyclist was traveling too fast or doing wheelies or any other dangerous activities, when it is almost ALWAYS another driver's fault for motorcyclist deaths. For too long have CT motorcyclists gone unprotected on our roads (I, myself do not even own a motorcycle) but I feel this is a very precedent CT issue. My father's close friend was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago when the driver of a car pulled out in front of him. Is it me or has this been an ongoing problem in our state? All in all, it's another sad day to see our CT residents killed needlessly on our roads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,682 times
In many cases, the motorcyclist would have at least some chance of survival if they wore a helmet. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
[quote=mickee56;9349123]In many cases, the motorcyclist would have at least some chance of survival if they wore a helmet. Live by the sword, die by the sword.[/QUOTE

This is true, but weird things happen. I had a motorcycle accident in 1991, where a car slammed on his brakes in front of me, and I grabbed too much front brake and swerved to missed him, and high sided. In any event, my brand new Shoei helmet never touched the ground after tumbling at 50 mph. I couldn't believe it, but my head never hit anything, hiowever I did break 3 ribs...

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
It's always a terrible thing when someone dies on the roads, and motorcycle accidents can be particularly horrible. I'll third the helmet recommendation -- it may have saved my life when I was in a motorcycle accident some years back, and at the very least, it kept a relatively minor accident (though I was in the ER for several hours) from turning into a major one.

Having said that, I have to admit that, vehicle for vehicle, I see far more motorcyclists driving irresponsibly than automobiles. Cutting between cars via the center line, driving 90+ mph without a helmet and weaving around vehicles, etc. So I certainly understand where the stereotype comes from. I know that motorcyclists are very vulnerable to the mistakes and carelessness of other vehicles, but I'd need to see more evidence before agreeing that "it's almost ALWAYS another driver's fault".

If this is more of a problem in CT, I'm guessing it has to do with traffic density. Moderately busy roads are inherently dangerous, and all the more so for two-wheeled vehicles.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Ahh Tetto and goldenband, I'm glad you're both alright! And goldenband, perhaps I exaggerated a bit too much about how other cars almost always cause motorcycle accidents, but I think the numbers are there. I refuse to believe that motorcyclists are the sole causes of their own injuries.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
as long as crazy people drive cars motorcyclists are in danger.
24% of all traffic fatalities in america involve a pedestrian, bicyclist or a motorcycle.
guy behind me today was yelling and screaming at me trying to get me to run a camera light.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 AM

great post, huckleberry!

Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
I still think yeild to pedestrians is the most craziest law around. We're driing in a machine doing 30mph and we're supposed to hit the brakes for a human? It's easier for the person to stop, wake up, and realize a car is coming!!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
All I can say is you pays your money & you takes your chances. Helmet or no theres an aweful lot of cars out there & with attitudes like the post above mine being common its a dangerous place to ride sometimes.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM

127 posts, read 520,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
It's always a terrible thing when someone dies on the roads, and motorcycle accidents can be particularly horrible. I'll third the helmet recommendation -- it may have saved my life when I was in a motorcycle accident some years back, and at the very least, it kept a relatively minor accident (though I was in the ER for several hours) from turning into a major one.

Having said that, I have to admit that, vehicle for vehicle, I see far more motorcyclists driving irresponsibly than automobiles. Cutting between cars via the center line, driving 90+ mph without a helmet and weaving around vehicles, etc. So I certainly understand where the stereotype comes from. I know that motorcyclists are very vulnerable to the mistakes and carelessness of other vehicles, but I'd need to see more evidence before agreeing that "it's almost ALWAYS another driver's fault".

If this is more of a problem in CT, I'm guessing it has to do with traffic density. Moderately busy roads are inherently dangerous, and all the more so for two-wheeled vehicles.
I agree completely. I see way too many motorcyclists, who are driving in between lanes when there is a traffic jam, passing cars with mere inches to spare, speeding, etc. I have had a close call with more than a few b/c I'm changing lanes and they are not riding in a lane at all and trying to skip between two cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut