Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 31,068 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently studying to get my teaching degree, which I should have in May 2012. However, I have no desire to stay and teach in Florida after I graduate, so I'm doing some research now to see where I want to end up, and Connecticut is on my list.

Where in Connecticut would you guys recommend? I'm not really the "city girl" type, and would love to live in a small town that has a nice "community" feel to it. Some place that is not TOO expensive (I realize Connecticut as a whole is an expensive place to live), that also has a great school system?

Any suggestions on places I should look into/avoid?

Also, any advice from teachers and how they manage in Connecticut would be an added plus .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,445,458 times
You would need to be more specific as there are many great towns in CT with good schools. First, what is your definition of expensive, and what could you afford (monthly rent etc) ? Also, do you want to be on the shoreline or inland? Also, what kind of teaching degree are you graduating with? As elementary or early childhood is tough to find jobs now. Science and math would be easier to find a job.
There are plenty of teachers already living here out of work.
Also, just an FYI you would have to be certified in CT (take an exam) to be able to teach at any public schools here. A friend of mine passed it on the third try, so I suppose it could be challenging.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,692,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
There are plenty of teachers already living here out of work.
Also, just an FYI you would have to be certified in CT (take an exam) to be able to teach at any public schools here. A friend of mine passed it on the third try, so I suppose it could be challenging.
What is your area teaching? With tenured teachers holding on to their jobs, it may be very hard for you to get a teaching job in a suburban system at the elementary level. Much easier if you are secondary and in a needed subject area. Way back when I had my license (20 years ago) you couldn't even get an interview at the elementary level without paying your dues to the system by subbing for at least 3 years. I ultimately gave up and moved on to business, and got an MBA instead of finishing my MAT.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM

11,316 posts, read 18,931,393 times
Somehwat easy (except perhaps the last 2 years) for high school and middle school (but more so high school) math and science, ESL (English as Second Language) or special ed, mostly in inner-cities (in CT would be Hartford, Waterbury, New Haven, Bridgeport; to a lesser extent parts of Norwalk, Stamford, Danbury, Norwich and New London), outside of that very hard and much like what others said. Even in good times, most Elementary positions (especially in "rich" suburbs) get hundreds of applications per position. I've heard even in these times, high school Physics, especially in inner-cities, still a big "shortage". I have a CT license in middle school math that activates upon employment and I'm finding it tough out there, but I do know of some (but not all) people from my program that got jobs this fall. It might get easier by 2012, but it depends a lot on where the economy and state budgets go.......

Also, I've heard that CT is a tough state to transfer a license into, but easy to get a first license in. They have a big "alternate route" program for career changers, one of the oldest in the country (I was in it this summer); but for someone out of school the main thing is to pass the relevant Praxis exams. Praxis I is like the SATs and if you got more than a certain score on your SATs (I know what it is on the old 1600 point system, on the new 2400 point one I would guess about an 1800 or so) CT waives it. Praxis II is subject-specific (i.e. General Elementary, Middle School math, HS math, etc.) and the score to pass it varies with the subject; with elementary I think it is about the equivalent of getting about 70% of the test right; I know with MS math it's the equivalent of getting about 60% and HS math the equivalent of only about a "40". Though I only had enough credits for the middle school license and not the HS one, I took the HS math Praxis and passed it, so upping my certification to HS math would be a matter of taking some more courses. Also, if you have an MBA, once you have a CT license in something, anything, all you'd have to do is pass the Business Education Praxis II (a 120 question multiple choice test), and you'd get an endorsement (essentially "2nd license") in high school Business Ed. I know this because I have an MBA and was told this.

One good thing about CT is that Praxis is a test that is also used in many other states, however, if you think you may teach in other states one day you probably want to take Praxis I instead of going for the SAT waiver because some states waive and some don't (in the northeast, I know MD and CT SAT-waive Praxis I and PA doesn't, don't know about the rest). Now most of the real big states use their own tests instead of Praxis, but I think at least 30 states use the test (the ones I know that use their own state tests are NY, FL, CA, IL, MA, and TX.....two of those states border CT).

Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM

11 posts, read 31,068 times
Ok, so the feel I'm getting from you guys is that as an Elementary Education major, I should look somewhere else, is that correct?

Is this the same for all of New England or just CT? Do you know?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,445,458 times
I would look elsewhere for elementary, yes.
As far as the rest of New England I'm not sure if they are having the same problems with not enough teaching jobs as we are here.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM

4,543 posts, read 6,817,059 times
By the time you graduate things should be better. There are quite a few teachers in the 58 to 65 category. Not many stay beyond 65. Many are holding on right now because they are afraid of the uncertainty relative to the economy and especially health care. As a matter of fact, health care is the number one issue that discourages a teacher from retiring even if they are at their maximum pension benefit. I know several teachers with 37.5 years of service that started right out of college and could retire with 75% of their salary at 60 years old but are afraid of the uncertainty related to health care.

By 2012 many will ready to go.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 PM

691 posts, read 1,152,473 times
It's not uncommon for there to be 400 applicants per opening in your area.

I was in the job market this summer. I'm in a supposed shortage area (math), and there were at least 20 applicants per position. I did find a position, but it took 12 interviews.

Unless you have an absolutely exceptional resume/experience or have some sort of connection in a school system, I would seriously consider obtaining a certification in a less competitive area.

Special ed or technology seems to be in high demand. Math and science are still in demand, as well--but many wall street types have now entered the teaching field due to the state of the economy and have increased the supply of qualified math/science people quite drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcla16 View Post
Ok, so the feel I'm getting from you guys is that as an Elementary Education major, I should look somewhere else, is that correct?

Is this the same for all of New England or just CT? Do you know?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,807,350 times
No need to worry about what town, If you can find just one teaching job in CT , take it.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 PM

691 posts, read 1,152,473 times
Wrong. Just....wrong. It takes a VERY specific type of person who can handle kids in a district like Hartford, Bridgeport, etc. If you do not teach in a town whose population you can handle and 'relate to', you won't survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
No need to worry about what town, If you can find just one teaching job in CT , take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut