Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times

Advertisements

How do the rest of the nutmeggers feel about this? Found this thread on the Education forum but the responders were not all from CT. I always felt that all religions were fairly well represented, at least in WH schools. Is this an isolated incident in Waterbury, or is this the prevalent sentiment in the state?

Connecticut School Official Defends Ban on Religious Symbols in Class - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Why not just call it a Holiday party? That's what most schools seem to do. It encompasses all religions/celebrations.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
As a Jewish person, I have always found that in Connecticut, teachers and schools always made an appropriate effort to represent all holidays at holiday time. I have never been offended by displays of holiday related content even though I am a strict separatist when it comes to church and state-- I find that inclusion is important and has always been done well in Connecticut in my experience. Of course, I may change my mind if this becomes a bogus "War on Christmas" thread...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Why can't they display things from all religions, instead of banning them? What's the point of a celebration, and how are we supposed to teach our kids to be open-minded if they cannot see diversity?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Why have anything?

It would certainly solve a lot of problems - the hardcore War on Christmas types and those who see the reactionist Christian types trying to impose their will by going to the other extreme and imposing their will.

"End of year" or "winter" is sufficient, rather than referring to any "holiday".

Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Why have anything? ... "End of year" or "winter" is sufficient, rather than referring to any "holiday".
How does that show diversity? IMO, it only shows is that people are too stuck on their own interests to be accepting toward other faiths. It's a religious holiday (and I'm not very religious), but the faith aspect should not be ignored.

The whole "Happy Holidays" thing does annoy me however - say Merry Christmas. If you're Jewish, then respond appropriately.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The whole "Happy Holidays" thing does annoy me however - say Merry Christmas. If you're Jewish, then respond appropriately.
It wouldn't annoy you if you didn't celebrate Christmas. Way to shoot a whole through your stand for diversity and cultural sensitivity.

However, I'm not offended if anyone wishes me a Merry Christmas. I just respond with "Thank you."

Where I start to have a problem is with my tax dollars supporting your religion to the exclusion of mine. A public school Christmas party is exclusionary and inappropriate... A Holiday party is not. A Christmas tree to the exclusion of any symbol of my traditional is not appropriate...

Again, I think people in Connecticut are in generally pretty hip to this kind of thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It wouldn't annoy you if you didn't celebrate Christmas. Way to shoot a whole through your stand for diversity and cultural sensitivity.
It would be insensitive if I were handing out wreaths to hang around your neck. That would not be the case. LOL

Same goes for you since you're Jewish - wish people a Happy Hanukkah!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It would be insensitive if I were handing out wreaths to put around your neck. That would not be the case.
You wear wreaths around your neck? Most goyim (it's Yiddish-- look it up) hang it on their door. You must be mashuganah.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You wear wreaths around your neck? Most goyim (it's Yiddish-- look it up) hang it on their door. You must be mashuganah.

I was going to say "shoving a Christmas tree down your throat" but I thought the "wreath/neck" thing would be more appropriate.

Back on topic. I really am for everyone celebrating their own holiday and making it known. I'm not all for anyone shutting anyone out because of it. Granted basic rights do not apply in public schools, but IMO, not being able to express your religion is still a violation of one's rights. Just my opinion. Kind of like the "Pledge", if you don't want to say it because you don't believe in God, then sit down. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut