Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Here is a satellite image from yesterday; you can see that the retreating snow cover line has reached southern Connecticut. My area along the I-95 corridor is now about 85% snow free. It looks like snow cover is 100 % gone from Long Island, New Jersey, Cape Cod, and parts of southern Rhode Island.

For areas north of I-95, with rain and temps in the 40’s and 50’s in the coming week (looks like absolutely no chance of snow in the next 10 to 14 days)…this may be the last week of snow cover for many areas of Connecticut.
We still have mostly snow in Newtown. The snow alongside our walks and the driveway is melting, though. And the trail I dug for the oil man has melted to the ground. But it's all a muddy mess, I dread seeing what it will look like when it's all melted, especially with two dogs. However, when I drive down Rt. 25 to Bridgeport, I definitely see how much snow has melted further south, there is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Interesting that 1 and 3 came in March..
Yeap...good catch there. The Month, The sun, The ocean temps, all Mean little. Any weather enthusist/meteorologist/scientist knows that its all about Troughs, blocking, patterns, atmosphere conditions and a bunch of variables together.

And anyone actually "living" in this state and able to travel around it will share the amazing difference of snow on ground... I was shocked that the NY/CT border in port chester had absolutely nothing left...No snow on the ground at all! Then 25 minutes up the line in Westport has white stuff everywhere maybe a couple inches here and there with 2-3 foot mounds then 40 minutes due north of that in Bristol the snowpack is deeper and visible everywhere.

That polluted urban heat in Westchester is disgusting.

BTW, Vermont is going to get pounded with snow tomorrow. Just rain here...you guys got lucky... The track was very close to being snow here but without the correct High blocking up north we're getting rain..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
I can vouch for this. Just drove up from Philly back to WH...did not see any snow cover until past Waterbury!
I think the Atlantic lowlands from southern Rhode Island southward always looses its snow cover fast because the effect of the Atlantic. It was interesting in a climate sense, at least at my location along I-95: This was one of the snowiest winters I can remember – yet there was only full snow cover here from December 26th to early February…and by late in February, all the snow was pretty much gone along I-95 corridor.

I think that is one of the few benefits of the winter season in the Tri-State area/middle East Coast – snow cover is normally brief.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think the Atlantic lowlands from southern Rhode Island southward always looses its snow cover fast because the effect of the Atlantic. It was interesting in a climate sense, at least at my location along I-95: This was one of the snowiest winters I can remember – yet there was only full snow cover here from December 26th to early February…and by late in February, all the snow was pretty much gone along I-95 corridor.

I think that is one of the few benefits of the winter season in the Tri-State area/middle East Coast – snow cover is normally brief.
Brief? 6 weeks is not brief..

Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 AM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
Someone mentioned planting seeds. Well, you can't plant a single thing until May 15. Of course you can risk doing it but you know what they say about being safe rather than sorry....

Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
For many of us we had snow cover for a solid 2 months.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
No No waveHUNTER wants you to believe the winter wasn't that bad...January up there was one that will never be equaled. Now as for a whole winter... no.. this one won't stack up with the top ones ...but for one month, winter ROARED.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Someone mentioned planting seeds. Well, you can't plant a single thing until May 15. Of course you can risk doing it but you know what they say about being safe rather than sorry....
I usually wait for May 15th, too. I think it was just last year that one or two posters that shall remain nameless here said that there is no danger of frost after April. Then I think it was May 12th last year that some areas had a frost and I was able to say, "I told you so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
Even longer! Wasn't the first snow storm just after Christmas, I think the 27th? Today is the first day I am actually starting to see the ground here in some spots. I am finally beginning to think that there is a light at the end of this white tunnel.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Here in Derby,the snow cover is gone. Im glad. My back patio is finally rid of the snow that was there since the December blizzard. I even fired up the grill and BBQed tonight!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 PM

55 posts, read 182,074 times
Default almost no snow in East Haven

I live in East Haven, just one mile from Long Island Sound. For the past 2 weeks I have seen the first green shoots in gardens on the south sides of houses and two weekends ago I saw my first couple of robins. Today I saw a whole large flock of them and ***** willows beginning to come out. So after a long hard winter, things are looking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut