Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,027,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Wow! Looks like a really nice area. Best wishes to you and your family!
Yes it is, and I'm not just saying that because it's "what I want". Fernandina Beach is very historic like St Augustine but doesn't have such a "tourist" feel. It has a Savannah/Charleston vibe mixed in as well. Fernandina is about 45min from Jax and I'm looking to be 30 min from Jax so both are accessible.

Here are some more pics of downtown and some of the surrounding housing.

And of course it's right on the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I agree, it looks like a nice area. I bet you will miss Ct.'s fall and winters, but it looks like a nice trade-off. You can always keep on top our weather through the weather threads here. Good luck!
Fall, yes. Winter - I don't know. I missed it when I first moved to FL for the first year, maybe two. After that, I remember getting out for gas in VA in shorts and sandals at 2X degrees and a biting wind and thinking "Holy crap, I'm not into this anymore". After that, Winter became something I was more interested in "visiting" than living in. It's really a PITA to deal with on a day to day basis. I've got a sled in the garage with 3 inches of dust on it, skiis that havn't see snow in almost 8 years...We just don't "do Winter" anymore, especially with little ones.

Fall and pumpkins and all that - yes I will miss that season. But in the end I have to ask myself, is it worth 1 month of the year to live the way we are? For us, not really. We can always take a trip too.

What I find myself doing in CT pretty much since I've moved back is at the end of August saying "that's it? Fall already? It's been two months!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Good journey to you, hope your path is smooth.

Just a note on Jacksonville, you may want to look outside of the city. Have done the CT to FL drive many times (although yes, the last time was about 12 years ago) any hoo , I always hated the approach to Jacksonville it had a smell that was just offputting??? Not sure why??? I've heard some say there is a tannery somewhere near by. So, as your looking try to be out off the stink zone for your lovely wife's pregnant nose.

Again, best wishes to you.
Thanks for that. I'm very aware of what you are talking about. As noted, the "smell" comes from the paper plants and it's not what it used to be. Years ago, yes it was like driving through NE Jersey. Since then, several plants closed and others have "cleaned up" to the point that at BEST you'll get an occasional "whif". BUT that's not in Jax, that's up by the GA border for the most part which is about 45 miles away.

It's much like Naugatuck used to be. Folks these days don't remember that going past Naugy on RT8 there was a HORRIBLE smell due to the rubber factories. Today, nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Wow! Good for you!

The "J" of "DandJ" lived in Jax for about a year. It wasn't his type of place for a variety of reasons, one of which is that everything is so spread out, but I kinda dug it when I would visit.

The temperature (and humidity) is much more tolerable there compared to South Florida, where "J" grew up.

And in Jax, you're close to St. Augustine, which is a fun day trip. So is Savannah, Georgia a fabulous day's outing.

Good luck with all that the move entails (selling your house, etc...) and I wish you a wonderful future in your new home and state.

ETA: And congratulations on the new addition to your family!!!
Thanks. I agree, not every place is for everyone. I agree things are spread out. Jax land area wise is huge compared to a place like Hartford, but it's still not as bad as Orlando and/or the I4 corridor. Ugh...

There is a large gentrification taking place in Jax and some of the old neighborhoods (That many cities in Florida don't even have!) are being refurbished etc and there are lots of new condo towers going up downtown. Kind of puts Hartfords "resurgence" to shame, sad to say and is more like Stamford in that regard. It would take an entire thread to post all the development.
Since 2000, 60 projects totaling more than $1.1 billion in investment have been completed, with an additional 26 projects totaling $2.2 billion proposed or under construction.
Downtown Jacksonville : Downtown Developments (http://downtownjacksonville.org/doing-business/proposed-developments - broken link)

Some of that includes a 29 mile light rail system. A few years back the also "lit" all the bridges in the city with accent lighting and it makes things very pretty.

Here are some of the old neighborhoods being "redone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Best wishes Jay on your move. If I had to move to Florida I think is the only area I would consider. I have family there and they like it. Not as sprawling or backwoods as other parts of Florida. Good luck. Jay
Thanks Jay, and thanks for all you've done on this forum. I even forgive you for the infractions. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Best of luck and please continue to pop in here.
A person has to do what is best for them and them alone. CT has been fabulous to us, but that's us. I'm sure you'll be very happy living someplace else because it will serve your family better than here.
You've lived in different places, as I have and one thing I've found is that the more you've moved around, the harder it is to completely love one place. So you find a place that you love more than other places. No place will be perfect and because you've experienced other places, you can't help but compare things in your mind. But you find the one place that suits you best. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure there will be things you miss about here, but you'll know that when it comes down to it, you did the right thing for your family.
Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Yes there are things I will miss here, but you know I've learned that the things you hold dear which you give up, tend to get replaced with things that you hold dear and would hate to give up. It's a cycle.

I still have images in my head of being on a FL lake in a bass boat watching the sun come up and hearing the chorus of tropical birds saying "good morning" from the sawgrass. It's something really breath taking you don't find here.

Same for being up in NW CT during a "sticky snow" hanging around the covered bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Good Luck! As a side note, you may want to try the Autotrain for any periodic trips between the Northeast and Florida. You board just south of Washington, DC and the train takes you plus your family plus car to somewhere in between Jacksonville and Orlando. Saves a lot of driving.
Thanks for the reminder, I've had friends in FL who swore by it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Lots of luck to you and best wishes on your coming bundle of joy.

Ironically, regarding your posts on NC, my brother-in-law is a northern transplant to the Triad (he's originally from Westchester County, NY and spent considerable time in Jupiter, FL and the Worcester, MA area; his wife is from Syracuse and lived in Worcester when the two met). I say that because he's probably about as liberal as you are conservative and he thinks that the Triad is slowly becoming as northern/left as Raleigh, he's really active in politics there and I could see him trying to run for something down there someday. Anyway in that sense I think Jax would be better for you and better for you than other parts of FL. All the best!
Thanks 7! You're spot on IMO, I think there is an underground movement going on in the Carolinas that is going to show it's face in the near future. There are a lot of "John Edwards" there building foundations. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, it's just where I see the state and cities heading in the near future. I think NC is going to become a progressive playground.

I'm a George Straight/Keny Chesney type of sophisticated countryboy and not so much redneck. You might find me show up at church in jeans and boots (Cattleman, not cowboy. ) and then go home and whip up a nice Etufee or slap on some nice Claiborn slacks, Ken Cole shirt and head out to dinner with the wife. To me that's more Florida and specifically the North Centreal and Northeast sections where it's cattle ranches and horse farms. It's not as Yankeerose put it so much "dualing banjos" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Good luck JV. I have a family member in Melbourne who would never move back up here. I don't think I could ever live in FL, but best of luck to you when/if you move!
Thanks Kid. I don't think I could live in most of Florida either these days. In all seriousness, it's a REALLY big state and Tallahasee is a world apart from Miami. Melbourne for me - meh, it's okay. Some folks love it.

I can see you fiting in much better in a state like NC so long as you stay in the metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
That sounds like a great move, good for you and your family. Ya can't fight city hall here in CT. You definitely wont be needing AWD to get around down there...!

Best of luck with the move and your baby on the way.
You're right. I gave up. I wish the best for this state, I'm just not sure there is enough "forward movement" and "critical mass" to make serious change. I hope I'm wrong!

Oh and maybe not AWD but 4WD for the mud bogs for sure! Lots of wheelin in Florida - most people would be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Beautiful! Can't beat that weather! Best of luck to you, JV, your opinion will always be welcomed on the CT board!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm kind of looking forward to 9 months of "livable" weather myself. I have to admit. I had one of those "clarity" moments about a year ago and realized that we really do have two months of hot, two months of cold and 8 months of "meh" trying to get to either place. September and somewhat October are really the only two "ideal" weather months IMHO without rain, chill etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
JV, Best of luck to you!! That sounds like a great decision. I can't believe the price of houses!!! WHOA. I would probably only live in the Jacksonville area--the other being south of Tampa--with regards to Florida. You are right about the lack of hurricanes in that region--I think it has had the fewest hurricanes of just about any portion of Florida.
Also, you won't have to deal with the much more harsh winters you have in Hartford of course--that is the BEST thing about FL in my opinion.
Good stuff man! Keep us in the loop.
Thanks JJ. Yes you can get a lot of house for the money. If you are willing to work for it, you can scoop up a foreclosure etc for a STEAL these days.

We plan on putting 50% down and work on paying the house off in 5-7 years. I would NEVER be able to do that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
Oh Wow... You are the 3rd person I know who is moving out of CT. Interesting. One of them went to NC. If I move it'll be north...like Vermont or Alaska or North Pole. I need snow! lol

Best of luck...keep in touch with the CT board here.

Good info on your post..I'll have to re-read that with coffee tomorrow. ...

Bottom line...you took the step for your family.... now let that step lead you to a better future.
Thanks Snowman. I used to think about going North, for us it just didn't work. I wish you the best too!

Thanks to all for the kind words...I just checked the clock and I'm LATE! Gotta go!

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

740 posts, read 1,884,129 times
Good luck Jay! I hope you and your family find what you are looking for. I am with Snowman on this one and love winters with lots of snow.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

90 posts, read 300,015 times
Well isn't that nice JViello! Florida is a wonderful state and I think it gets a undeserving bad repuatation. I think it is important to live where you feel most comfortable with political leanings, we are more liberal so HAD to leave Pittsburgh (which is full of ignorance, I can deal with hardcore Republicans but ignorance of either side I can't pardon.

Never been to JAX but have visited Boca Raton many times. FL is paradise, good luck and congratulations with the new addition!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM

526 posts, read 1,004,494 times
Best of luck - I hope it will be a perfect match for you and your family!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 AM

80 posts, read 216,436 times
youre showing like 10% of jacksonville. Jacksonville is on the most dangerous cities in FLORIDA. Orlando is probably #1 then Miami then Jacksonville. I lived in Orlando for 14 years. Jacksonville does have nice areas, but its pretty dangerous. But good luck with that.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM

80 posts, read 216,436 times
one of* I just woke up cant type..

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM

834 posts, read 2,280,632 times
Quote:
Years ago, yes it was like driving through NE Jersey.
As a NJ native, bless your heart for clarifying Northeast NJ and not just saying NJ like so many people do.

Quote:
I had one of those "clarity" moments about a year ago and realized that we really do have two months of hot, two months of cold and 8 months of "meh"
Well keep in mind that in Jax, you'll get a good 8-9 months of hot and 3-4 months of meh. So if you like hot and humid weather, you'll be fine. At worst, you do become accustomed to "ducking" the heat when you live in Florida so you can always do that.
But really when it comes down to it, a person can't really make a decision to live someplace based on weather alone. You have to go someplace you can earn a living. It's not even about being rich, just making a decent living. Knowing if your kids want piano lessons, you can give it to them. Or if you want a family vacation once a year, you can do it. Based on what you've said, you will feel such a financial relief in Florida. It's amazing what you get for your money in a house!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM

21,655 posts, read 31,274,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Thanks Kid. I don't think I could live in most of Florida either these days. In all seriousness, it's a REALLY big state and Tallahasee is a world apart from Miami. Melbourne for me - meh, it's okay. Some folks love it.

I can see you fiting in much better in a state like NC so long as you stay in the metros.
I can too - Charlotte was a nice city, but I like Greensboro a little better.

I don't think I'll be leaving CT anytime soon though. Just bought a house in a great town. Maybe in 10-20 years (by then, I'm sure NC will have a similar cost of living however).

Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,430,216 times
Beautiful photos! Good luck to you and your family, JViello.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM

83,563 posts, read 75,484,590 times
So funny to see the sun and everyone in shorts. Seems like a happy place to live but little do people remember it's brutal living there April to October! The heat and humidity are unbearable. Not to mention the drenching rainstorms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut