Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Best of luck and please continue to pop in here.
A person has to do what is best for them and them alone. CT has been fabulous to us, but that's us. I'm sure you'll be very happy living someplace else because it will serve your family better than here.
You've lived in different places, as I have and one thing I've found is that the more you've moved around, the harder it is the completely love one place. So you find a place that you love more than other places. No place will be perfect and because you've experienced other places, you can't help but compare things in your mind. But you find the one place that suits you best. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure there will be things you miss about here, but you'll know that when it comes down to it, you did the right thing for your family.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Lots of luck to you and best wishes on your coming bundle of joy.

Ironically, regarding your posts on NC, my brother-in-law is a northern transplant to the Triad (he's originally from Westchester County, NY and spent considerable time in Jupiter, FL and the Worcester, MA area; his wife is from Syracuse and lived in Worcester when the two met). I say that because he's probably about as liberal as you are conservative and he thinks that the Triad is slowly becoming as northern/left as Raleigh, he's really active in politics there and I could see him trying to run for something down there someday. Anyway in that sense I think Jax would be better for you and better for you than other parts of FL. All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Good luck JV. I have a family member in Melbourne who would never move back up here. I don't think I could ever live in FL, but best of luck to you when/if you move!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,735 times
That sounds like a great move, good for you and your family. Ya can't fight city hall here in CT. You definitely wont be needing AWD to get around down there...!

Best of luck with the move and your baby on the way.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM

470 posts, read 1,664,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Good journey to you, hope your path is smooth.

Just a note on Jacksonville, you may want to look outside of the city. Have done the CT to FL drive many times (although yes, the last time was about 12 years ago) any hoo , I always hated the approach to Jacksonville it had a smell that was just offputting??? Not sure why??? I've heard some say there is a tannery somewhere near by. So, as your looking try to be out off the stink zone for your lovely wife's pregnant nose.

Again, best wishes to you.
That smell is from the paper plants on the GA/FL line. They are on the GA side though. We used to make that drive every year when I was a kid for almost 12 years.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,912 times
Beautiful! Can't beat that weather! Best of luck to you, JV, your opinion will always be welcomed on the CT board!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
JV, Best of luck to you!! That sounds like a great decision. I can't believe the price of houses!!! WHOA. I would probably only live in the Jacksonville area--the other being south of Tampa--with regards to Florida. You are right about the lack of hurricanes in that region--I think it has had the fewest hurricanes of just about any portion of Florida.
Also, you won't have to deal with the much more harsh winters you have in Hartford of course--that is the BEST thing about FL in my opinion.
Good stuff man! Keep us in the loop.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,576 times
Best of luck man!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
As J Viello has stated is why I have second thoughts on moving to our home in Vernon,will be part time until we decide,$3700 for a 24 X 30 home,Ct is a very negative place to live.COL for fixed income regressive and it looks like it will get worse,towns cannot rein in spending,more,more.The state and local gov't have no consideration for anyone like us,we would like to return for family.Our roots in Windsor go back to 1920 and other parts of Ct to the Civl War.
I have posted my thoughts in the past.The exemptions offered by Vernon are very meager.
Our county Columbia,60 miles west gives second $25000 homestead this was authorized by state on a voluntary basis to counties,do not know about where you are moving to.For the retired there is one based on income,SS excluded.My exemptions are $71000 which exempts me from taxes.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Oh Wow... You are the 3rd person I know who is moving out of CT. Interesting. One of them went to NC. If I move it'll be north...like Vermont or Alaska or North Pole. I need snow! lol

Best of luck...keep in touch with the CT board here.

Good info on your post..I'll have to re-read that with coffee tomorrow. ...

Bottom line...you took the step for your family.... now let that step lead you to a better future.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
I wish you luck JV. It must have been a tough decision. It must also be difficult to part with a business that you have worked so hard developing and having to start all over again in a new location.

I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut