Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times

Advertisements

Do they salt the roads... or use studs or chains...Don't know if I want to drive on icy roads..sounds very dangerous. Do a lot of people have snow mobiles.. in that area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Do they salt the roads... or use studs or chains...Don't know if I want to drive on icy roads..sounds very dangerous. Do a lot of people have snow mobiles.. in that area..
They salt/sand/brine the roads around here. The state highways are not a problem. The rest can be a huge problem with the thawing in the daytime and freeze at night. Many hilly curves have no guard rails....it's a long way down on some....
The mailman has studded tires on his car. He said he was going to take them off a couple of days ago....
I have not seen any snowmobiles around here, we just don't get that much snow....what snow we do get does not stay around very long.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Can you get some books from the new library that could subtitute for some things, or be close to help....just a thought...

We go to the library atleast once a week, and of course there is the internet for work sheets (I'm not so good at math).

I have been to Hebbertsburg quite a few times during winter time. One gentleman lost his life last year going down the ravine. It can be quite dangerous with all the ravines and no guard rails.

I know they do the best they can.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
They salt/sand/brine the roads around here. The state highways are not a problem. The rest can be a huge problem with the thawing in the daytime and freeze at night. Many hilly curves have no guard rails....it's a long way down on some....
The mailman has studded tires on his car. He said he was going to take them off a couple of days ago....
I have not seen any snowmobiles around here, we just don't get that much snow....what snow we do get does not stay around very long.
"Brine".. that must make a real mess on the cars..why brine easier too use? Never heard of brine... except in the usage of brine shrimp....Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
(And it was a tough adjustment for a boy who grew up in the snowbelt who walked to school barefoot uphill both ways in the dark in the snow...)
My dad was born in NYC and went to public school there, for awhile. Then his dad retired and they moved to northwest of Ottawa, Ontario. Way the heck up there. My guess is the town has a few hundred people and it's about a half-mile between neighbors, or more.

Darn it all if I can refute his stories of climbing out the second-story window and then walking to school! I always thought that was a bit unfair of him.

Quote:
Nah. It's The South so we go on and on about the snow. You would think we get about 60 inches a season, like they do up north. At least. But the truth is at the end of the season we get very little and our winters are milder than we let on. It's going to be the least of your worries.

Regarding the falling behind, I've raised kids up north and down here, and they still get the same amount of school days in, give or take. And it isn't just funding, either. It's what they do with the funding. I've seen Florida schools with lots of money but I'll be darned what it is they do with it because the kids are a couple years behind most of the other states.

Tennessee is still the winner of The Race to the Top because of their innovative programs they are putting in place, one of which is to raise the bar very, very high for our children. I am very confident in my child's future or I wouldn't have moved here. I cannot stress the importance I put on my daughter's education. It is, indeed, everything.

And finally, the administrators are darned if they do or don't. Knox County has a superintendent from Boston and if he doesn't call school off I have heard the other mother's complain that it is because he is use to the snow and doesn't understand the danger their kids face.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
"Brine".. that must make a real mess on the cars..why brine easier too use? Never heard of brine... except in the usage of brine shrimp....Thanks
I think it originally was used in The Midwest. It is increasing in popularity because of cost. However, a recent study found that it was more likely to corrode vehicles and it was no more environmentally friendly than just salt. However, it is probably going to be used more and more.

http://www.t2.unh.edu/winter07/salt_brine.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
We go to the library atleast once a week, and of course there is the internet for work sheets (I'm not so good at math).

I have been to Hebbertsburg quite a few times during winter time. One gentleman lost his life last year going down the ravine. It can be quite dangerous with all the ravines and no guard rails.

I know they do the best they can.
I really like the new library, so hopefully they have enough to keep y'all busy...
I've been all around back in there and Catoosa, but only with a 4x4 truck...and not in the wintertime with ice and snow...

Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Regarding doing extra work, our daughter's teacher got hip to the situation the last week that it snowed. She gave the kids the extra work ahead of time, anticipating the snow day.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Labart...This is " NOT" a personal attack....Just an observation...

It is not the school's responsibility if you work or not...they are responsible for the safety of your child on over 1500 miles of country roads....

With the snow and ice late last night this morning was a judgement call...probably a late opening would have been a better call for today IMO...

Like 2Mares stated....they will make up for the lost days next spring, maybe summer....
Absolutely! Van Buren closes if there's a whisper of snow. We've got some very narrow road passages across the edge of mountains with no guards or barriers to keep an oversized school bus from sliding down the side. Snow and ice tend to build up on them and it's dangerous to drive them in such a big vehicle. They're being safe with the kids. Yes, it's frustrating when the roads are fine in front of your house but you don't know what the rest of the area is like. Be grateful they're so careful. They'll make up the snow days in the summer.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Regarding doing extra work, our daughter's teacher got hip to the situation the last week that it snowed. She gave the kids the extra work ahead of time, anticipating the snow day.
Oohh...I bet the kids love her!

Leaving the 2nd floor and walking on snow is funny....I don't remember doing it, but I do remember walking on and off the roof from the snow top...and it looking like a canyon with snow walls outside your front door.

Just one more reason I love it here.

I do miss snowmobiling, for about a minute or two. Never seen one in the state here...

Didn't know studded tires were legal down here, surprised Bones mailman has them. They sure didn't get them around here! Never seen anyone down here that owned chains, either, although I'm sure some do. Heck, I think I probably still have a couple of sets in the garage or barn from other locales. I'm just glad I don't even have to know where they are.

Our local weather out of Huntsville, AL is calling for 4-8 inches Sunday/Monday. If so, that'll be the biggest snow we've seen here in awhile.

Wondering if they'll close school Monday "in anticipation"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville