Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

We were at the library last week and there was a line with a wait to check out books. I've never seen it that busy. One of the librarians said that is was even worse the week before and she thinks it's because so many people were stuck in the house due to the snow.

Our daughter's teacher told the kids that if school gets called off to just come ahead, anyway; that she'll be there. I think she was half-kidding. I asked our daughter, "Did you tell her that we live close and we could just walk there?" She said she didn't. I could see that she was thinking about that. Our daughter loves school, although she likes being babied by mama and drinking cocoa all day, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
I hope I'm not irritating anyone, just wanted to keep you up to date. Yesterday schools were closed for obvious reasons. Today we started out with a two hour delay and they called at 7:30 to let us know that they will be closed today as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Are you serious! When I left for work I didnt even hear cumberland called for a 2 hr. delay.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Do schools run out of make up days?
Normally when we have snow here school is canceled or delayed (and I get to work much faster those days because there's no traffic to sit through ). Today school was open on time in spite of the snow and it struck me as unusual, so I wondered if the kids had been out so much that they had run out of days they could use for makeup.
It's not like they can be kept in school until late June, or can they?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 AM

Knox County made it to school the entire week. Woot!

High of 44 on Thursday, 51 yesterday, and close to 60 all weekend.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They can and either their summer vacation gets pushed out or they have to go to school on Saturdays. My step grandchildren are just over the border in NC. They have been going to school on Saturdays to make up some time. Personally, as a kid, I would rather go to school now rather than delay my summer break

Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
School on Saturdays, oh my! Poor kids, I hope they had the opportunity to go out and really enjoy the snow while they were out of school.
That's interesting, and if I start seeing cars up at the school on the weekend I'll know why now.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

When I was in second grade we had to attend school on Saturday. That was many moons ago when dinosaurs walked the earth. Seriously. It was the year Nixon first became president. I'm pretty sure I remember dodging a T-Rex on the way to school.

Anyway, I loved school and would prefer to be anywhere rather than home, but that day seemed like an eternity. And this was in New England where they routinely set aside a lot of snow days.

Oh, it got up to 63 today!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Normally when we have snow here school is canceled or delayed (and I get to work much faster those days because there's no traffic to sit through ). Today school was open on time in spite of the snow and it struck me as unusual, so I wondered if the kids had been out so much that they had run out of days they could use for makeup.
It's not like they can be kept in school until late June, or can they?

We do have a certain amount of snow days. We have already surpassed these and are now taking away from Spring Break. If worse comes to worse they will add more days on to the school year, but considering schoool is usually done with by May 25th we should'nt go to far into summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville