Monterey: fall time in monterey
Monterey: Summer view at the Cabin
Monterey: snow of 2005
Monterey: Winter view at the Cabin
Monterey: Standing Stone monument
Monterey: williams woods monterey tn
Monterey: Commercial Ave, downtown Monterey
Monterey: The historic Imperial Hotel
Monterey: Monterey High School
Monterey: Tienda Monterrey
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||38.7 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.6 years|
Zip codes: 38574.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $15,631 (it was $12,265 in 2000)
Monterey town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $109,932 (it was $64,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $131,060; Detached houses: $142,447; Mobile homes: $45,437
Median gross rent in 2016: $502.
Races in Monterey, TN (2010)
- 2,09973.6%White alone
- 160.6%Two or more races
- 100.4%Asian alone
- 80.3%Black alone
- 90.3%American Indian alone
- 20.07%Other race alone
|I made it to the Monterey, TN area (39 replies)|
|Baxter vs Monterey (3 replies)|
|Ice Storm Devastation Monterey - Crossville (43 replies)|
|New parks for Monterey, Baxter (0 replies)|
|Monterey Depot Museum adds dining car to collection (0 replies)|
|Cookeville developments and rumors (570 replies)|
Latest news from Monterey, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (42.7%), English (3.6%), German (3.2%), Irish (2.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1901
Elevation: 1875 feet
Land area: 2.95 square miles.
Population density: 969 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Monterey:
- High school or higher: 76.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monterey town:
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 51.5%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 15.6%
385 residents are foreign born (12.8% Latin America).
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 12 registered sex offenders living in Monterey, Tennessee as of May 22, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Monterey to the number of sex offenders is 244 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $751 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $693 (0.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Murfreesboro, TN (66.2 miles , pop. 68,816).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (83.6 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (414.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Crawford, TN (2.9 miles ), Mayland-Pleasant Hill, TN (3.1 miles ), Algood, TN (3.3 miles ), Rickman, TN (3.5 miles ), Pleasant Hill, TN (3.5 miles ), Cookeville, TN (3.7 miles ), Bowman, TN (3.8 miles ), Clarkrange, TN (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $46,700
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $98,000
- 2001: 14 buildings, average cost: $64,300
- 2002: 13 buildings, average cost: $121,800
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $199,000
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $70,700
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $127,500
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $88,500
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $138,300
- 2012: 12 buildings, average cost: $77,800
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.15 N, Longitude: 85.27 W
Area code: 931
|Crime rates in Monterey by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 279.3)||190.6||159.7||226.1||269.9||170.9||80.5||161.7||324.4||188.5||124.2||99.7||156.7||217.3||179.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Monterey detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.10|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +135 (+5.2%).
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Construction (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Health care and social assistance (14%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Production occupations (25%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (20%)
- Material moving occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (23%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (13%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
Average climate in Monterey, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Monterey-area historical tornado activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 34% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.5 miles away from the Monterey town center killed 10 people and injured 51 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 12.6 miles away from the town center killed 7 people and injured 150 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Monterey-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 160.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 215.0 miles away from Monterey center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 116.0 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 76.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 188.4 miles away from Monterey center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 234.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Putnam County (10) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Flash Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Monterey:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monterey:
- Tennessee Technological University (about 14 miles; Cookeville, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,761)
- Roane State Community College (about 41 miles; Harriman, TN; FT enrollment: 4,302)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 63 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- Middle Tennessee State University (about 65 miles; Murfreesboro, TN; FT enrollment: 21,628)
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 67 miles; Columbia, KY; FT enrollment: 2,552)
- Cleveland State Community College (about 69 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
- Volunteer State Community College (about 71 miles; Gallatin, TN; FT enrollment: 5,311)
Public high school in Monterey:
- MONTEREY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 365, Location: 112 ELM ST, Grades: PK-12)
Private high school in Monterey:
Public elementary/middle school in Monterey:
- BURKS ELEMENTARY (Students: 300, Location: 300 CROSSVILLE ST, Grades: KG-8)
Private elementary/middle school in Monterey:
Notable locations in Monterey: Monterey Volunteer Fire Department (A), Putnam County Fire Department Station 21 (B), Monterey Public Library (C), Monterey City Hall (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Monterey include: Wesleyan Church (A), Monterey Methodist Church (B), Monterey Freewill Baptist Church (C), Monterey First Baptist Church (D), Monterey Church of the Nazarene (E), Church of God of Prophecy (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Welch Memorial Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Monterey: Whitaker Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 37.3. This is significantly better than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 2.13. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.6 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 1.72. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.6 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2007 was 44.0. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 8.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.28. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.9 miles away from the city center.
(26.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 71.4% for Black residents, 45.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for other race residents, 34.8% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
105 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Monterey (2011 data):
- First Volunteer Bank of Tennessee: Monterey Branch at 210 East Commercial Avenue, branch established on 1972/12/18. Info updated 2008/10/30: Bank assets: $641.6 mil, Deposits: $561.9 mil, headquarters in Chattanooga, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 23 total offices, Holding Company: First Volunteer Corporation
- Bank of Putnam County: Monterey Branch at 100 Commercial Avenue, branch established on 1968/10/04. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $371.3 mil, Deposits: $339.3 mil, headquarters in Cookeville, TN, positive income, 8 total offices, Holding Company: B.P.c. Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Monterey town (based on Putnam County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Putnam County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Putnam County:||0.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Putnam County:||7.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Monterey, TN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,554||$30,648||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||7||$24,071||$41,265||6||$3,643|
|Streets and Highways||4||$7,229||$21,687||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$5,031||$20,124||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$3,225||$38,700||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||26||$69,795||$32,213||8||$5,105|
7.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,021 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved from foreign countries ($261 average AGI)
Putnam County: 0.06% Tennessee average: 0.03%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from White County, TN||0.66% ($26,439 average AGI)|
|from Overton County, TN||0.56% ($22,920)|
|from Cumberland County, TN||0.38% ($29,277)|
7.41% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,001 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($140 average AGI)
Putnam County: 0.05% Tennessee average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Monterey:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WATX (1590 AM; 2 kW; ALGOOD, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPTN (780 AM; daytime; 1 kW; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WLIV (920 AM; 1 kW; LIVINGSTON, TN; Owner: SUNNY BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WHUB (1400 AM; 1 kW; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WECO (940 AM; 5 kW; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Monterey:
- WKXD-FM (106.9 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WGSQ (94.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWOG (90.9 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WLIV-FM (104.7 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: WKXN INC)
- WOWF (102.5 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: PEG BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLQK (95.9 FM; LIVINGSTON, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WGIC (98.5 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W206AJ (89.1 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHRS (91.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: NASHVILLE PUBLIC RADIO)
- WMKW (89.3 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WBXE (93.7 FM; BAXTER, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WWSR (105.7 FM; ROCKWOOD, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WRKK-FM (105.5 FM; SPARTA, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCLC-FM (105.1 FM; JAMESTOWN, TN; Owner: BIBLE BELIEVERS NETWORK, INC.)
- WECO-FM (101.3 FM; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WXVL (99.3 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZYZ (90.1 FM; SPENCER, TN; Owner: CHURCH FAITH TRINITY ASSEMBLIES)
- W211AS (90.1 FM; SPENCER, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WDEB-FM (103.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, TN; Owner: BAZ BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Monterey:
- WCTE (Channel 22; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: UPPER CUMBERLAND BROADCAST COUNCIL)
- WBXX-TV (Channel 20; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF TENNESSEE, LLC)
- W57CZ (Channel 57; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 15Number of bridges
- 86m282ftTotal length
- $421,000Total costs
- 368,250Total average daily traffic
- 66,127Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 69 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Monterey, TN)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 34 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Monterey)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 2 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Monterey)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 12 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Monterey and their reported violations in the past:MONTEREY WATER DEPT (Population served: 4,692, Surface water):
Past monitoring violations:HERITAGE ACADEMY (Population served: 100, Groundwater):
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2009 and SEP-2009, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-01-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-01-2009), St Compliance achieved (DEC-31-2009)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:MOUNTAIN RIDGE GOLF CLUB (Population served: 30, Groundwater):
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2007 and JUN-2007, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JUL-01-2007), St Public Notif requested (JUL-31-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-31-2007)
Past monitoring violations:
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Monterey that have no violations reported:
- EAST FORK U D (Population served: 2,937, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 36
- Hazardous Condition: 49
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Monterey
|Most common first names in Monterey, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Monterey, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (58%)
- Utility gas (39%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (1%)
|Businesses in Monterey, TN|
|Dairy Queen||1||Super 8||1|
Monterey compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Monterey on our top lists:
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Guatemala (population 500+)"
- #79 (38574) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest ground withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2018.