Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2020, 09:41 AM

730 posts, read 817,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
We were by there about 8:30 AM and there was a long long line waiting to get in, presumably for some first day freebie.
I was there yesterday afternoon, and it was still super busy. The clerk who helped me said they've been busy nonstop since opening on Thursday. We've already tried the laundry soap, the "fresh cotton" scent, along with the accompanying scented wool dryer balls, and our clothes smell divine. I didn't think we needed all natural soap that didn't have chemical detergents, but I guess we did. Lest you think it's all girly scents, they have a row of soaps, creams, and oils with "manly" scents like one that's supposed to smell like cedarwood, campfire, and beer (no thanks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 08:35 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
This article at 94.1 talks about how the hotel/motel tax revenue in Putnam County is down 19 percent from last year which isn't bad considering at one point during the pandemic it was down 70 percent. But what caught my eye was this line: Hotel spaces in Putnam County have increased recently with more planned projects on the way.

Anyone have any idea what other hotel projects are on the way? Obviously there's the full service Holiday Inn on Willow that's still under construction, but I'm curious what other hotel projects are out there.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2020 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-03-2020, 12:05 PM

111 posts, read 137,035 times
I don't have all the info but I believe that the lot across from Jackson Plaza on South Willow is owned by a hotel investment group named SAI RAM PARTNERSHIP and has been for a few years.. but not really sure what the deal with it is.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,610,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
I don't have all the info but I believe that the lot across from Jackson Plaza on South Willow is owned by a hotel investment group named SAI RAM PARTNERSHIP and has been for a few years.. but not really sure what the deal with it is.
I think you are referring to the property which used to be Public Housing....is that right? There were two bidders for that property at the time of sale (early 2016) by Highlands Residential...one had plans to construct a shopping center with potentially a Sprouts Market or other Big Box retail/grocers. Two bids came in at $3.6M with the local bidder, Patel, winning. The explanation was that the shopping center developer didn't have a tenant at the time and other mitigating zoning issues. Patel develops hotels, but this always appeared to be only a purchase for land speculation.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I think you are referring to the property which used to be Public Housing....is that right? There were two bidders for that property at the time of sale (early 2016) by Highlands Residential...one had plans to construct a shopping center with potentially a Sprouts Market or other Big Box retail/grocers. Two bids came in at $3.6M with the local bidder, Patel, winning. The explanation was that the shopping center developer didn't have a tenant at the time and other mitigating zoning issues. Patel develops hotels, but this always appeared to be only a purchase for land speculation.
I still don't understand why that property hasn't been developed yet. I know a small part of it is in a flood plain, but the rest of it is certainly prime for an additional shopping center; the flood plain could be part of the parking lot. Other than the old KMart (which sold last February but no word yet on what's going to happen to it) there's almost no retail vacancy in Cookeville. The new shopping center on 10th Street will help ease the pressure.

Anyway, with plans for the downtown conference center apparently scrapped, there's still a market for a downtown hotel which would service downtown, the hospital, and the university. I've always felt that this lot below is ripe for a hotel, particularly now that that part of downtown is rapidly developing; the new medical office building that just opened is across the street to the west, the depot museum is one block south, the entire WestSide restaurant/entertainment district starts next door, the hospital is two blocks to the north, and the university is four blocks away. Oh if I had the money, I'd do it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1654...7i13312!8i6656

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2020 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 06:39 PM

320 posts, read 541,488 times
Don’t forget that the former Clarion Hotel (now Quality Inn) beside Dunkin is undergoing major changes. I don’t remember the specifics but I think there will be 3 hotel brands on the property when completed. Part will be demolished and a new 5 story hotel will front Jefferson??? Perhaps this expansion is what they meant also?

I anticipate a hotel opening near the Baxter exit on I-40 sooner rather than later also.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Don’t forget that the former Clarion Hotel (now Quality Inn) beside Dunkin is undergoing major changes. I don’t remember the specifics but I think there will be 3 hotel brands on the property when completed. Part will be demolished and a new 5 story hotel will front Jefferson??? Perhaps this expansion is what they meant also?

I anticipate a hotel opening near the Baxter exit on I-40 sooner rather than later also.
You're right. I totally forgot about that one. A 5-story Hilton Home2Suites is going to replace part of the Quality Inn. It will compete with the TownePlace Suites by Marriott and the Candlewood Suites which both recently opened. I still think downtown is ripe for a nice hotel, too.

I agree with you that a hotel is likely headed to Baxter sometime in the near future. Baxter is booming: 80+ homes are being built on Hwy 70 just east of 56, 80 townhomes are about to get started on Buffalo Valley Rd off of 56, 60 apartments are going up on 70 just west of Upperman HS, another convenience store is about to get started near I-40, Fiesta Cancun is finally talking to a contractor, Taco Bell is going to get started after the new year, and of course Portobello is still on track to break ground this spring on its $150 million plant.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-10-2020, 07:19 AM

Someone once lamented on here that there aren't any gated communities in Cookeville in spite of all the high end new homes built the last few years. It looks like there will be one. It'll be small--only 7 homes--but each lot will be 5 acres, and all of them with views of Cookeville from atop Buck Mountain.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/p...borhood,46001?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 AM

667 posts, read 764,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Someone once lamented on here that there aren't any gated communities in Cookeville in spite of all the high end new homes built the last few years. It looks like there will be one. It'll be small--only 7 homes--but each lot will be 5 acres, and all of them with views of Cookeville from atop Buck Mountain.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/p...borhood,46001?

Where I came from (big city) everyone had fenced yards, even homes in a gated communities had fenced yards.

When looking at homes here outside city limits I rarely saw fenced homes. I was not sure if this would be a concern. But after 8 years here I don't think I would like a fenced yard here because I like seeing deer and other critters on our property. Seeing some of the newer homes here with fenced yards now looks odd to me.

Fenced yards and gated communities makes more sense in the bigger cities to reduce theft and feel more safe. Here it makes less sense to me but I'm sure it makes the selling prices much higher for newcomers.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Where I came from (big city) everyone had fenced yards, even homes in a gated communities had fenced yards.

When looking at homes here outside city limits I rarely saw fenced homes. I was not sure if this would be a concern. But after 8 years here I don't think I would like a fenced yard here because I like seeing deer and other critters on our property. Seeing some of the newer homes here with fenced yards now looks odd to me.

Fenced yards and gated communities makes more sense in the bigger cities to reduce theft and feel more safe. Here it makes less sense to me but I'm sure it makes the selling prices much higher for newcomers.
I had that same reaction when I moved here from Florida where everyone had a fence or even a wall around their back yards. Here, yards blend into other yards, and no one seems to mind.

A realtor friend of mine told me that a lot of these super high end homes that are being built around here are for music executives or even music stars who don't need to be in Nashville very often. Many of these newer homes even have recording studios. I suspect this gated community on Buck Mountain will be for people (like music stars) who are on the road for a week or two at a time and just want the extra piece of mind with that extra layer of security.

Anyway, looking at the most expensive homes sold in the area the last few months, almost none of them have a fenced yard or even a gated driveway, whether they're out in the country or in town.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...4410054_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...1209890_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...1314460_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...1297304_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...41987959_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41990727_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...60282209_zpid/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 12-10-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville