Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,274,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I don't know. Is it selfish to not want a person who is depressed to kill themselves if they believe they have a poor quality of life? Maybe Jahi wants to live and attempt a recovery even if it is impossible. Should we put to death children who will never progress developmentally and will have to be diapered and fed by someone the rest of their lives as they live in a stupor? I think they are in a sad condition but maybe inside they have hope and some cognizance that we can't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Yes we absolutely should. As much as it pains us we need to let them go. No one wants to live like that because that isn't living. It's very selfish to keep someone alive like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I agree. If I had a child like that, I would want them humanely put out of their misery.

If it was me, I would want to be humanely put out of my misery.

I commend Natalie for having the guts to come right out and say it.

Funny....if one was to keep an animal alive like that....it would be considered an act of cruelty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not to mention the physical discomfort. If you've ever laid in one place for a long time, or sat on a plane, squished where you can't move, you know how uncomfortable that is.

Yes, someone might come in and roll you over twice a day to prevent bedsores, but that's surely not enough to remain comfortable.

Your mouth is dry, but you can't drink, or even tell anyone if you are thirsty, or hungry, or in pain.

Terrifying. Screw that. Unplug me.

These responses are all spot on. Either her higher brain functions are working or they're not. All of the doctors have said they are not. That leaves her w only pain and suffering to continue if she is feeling anything at all....

Mom needs to start coming to term with this fact. I understand the process will be long and difficult and that "hope" often feels better than reality, but I think it might be time for family to get a good team of therapists to help them slowly transition to reality.....

When the nurse in the ICU told me my grandmother was dead, i didn't believe it because there was no dramatic "flat line," she had been twitching all day and had a HR and BP. Turns out these were just due to the machines she was connected to doing everything for her.

Twitching can be reflexive movements and are not always purposeful movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:37 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
The only thing I know is that I can only answer for myself and not make a declaration for all of humanity as I don't know what the next person wants.
So, answer for yourself.

Would you want to be kept alive in that condition?

Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So, answer for yourself.

Would you want to be kept alive in that condition?
It wouldn't be my decision as I have made no advanced directives nor do I intend to. So it wouldn't bother me if I were living that way as I'd supposedly be unaware anyway.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 AM

By the way, if there's a medical professional in here who has seen the video I've posted can they tell me how Jahi is breathing? I thought the machine to breathe went down the windpipe but I only see something in the middle of her body.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,131 times
So far, I have sent no indication that a physician has made any recent statement to indicate that the deceased is actually alive. When the Court brings in physicians, I think the medical opinion will be that she is dead, and has been since December last year.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
My husband and I lost a child 2 years ago and the pain is horrendous and hard to imagine unless you have experienced it yourself. That being said I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the parents but at some point you have to admit to yourself that your child is gone and never coming back and it becomes selfish to hold on to what has become a body. If your heart can't beat without a machine, if you have no brain activity, if you can't swallow you are dead. Please someone help end this. On the practical side of things, the other children have to be suffering from this whole situation. If the private donations stop I don't think it's fair for the taxpayers to foot the bill, when we have so many people that can recover from their illnesses with that money.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
By the way, if there's a medical professional in here who has seen the video I've posted can they tell me how Jahi is breathing? I thought the machine to breathe went down the windpipe but I only see something in the middle of her body.
She has a tracheostomy.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My husband and I lost a child 2 years ago and the pain is horrendous and hard to imagine unless you have experienced it yourself. That being said I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the parents but at some point you have to admit to yourself that your child is gone and never coming back and it becomes selfish to hold on to what has become a body. If your heart can't beat without a machine, if you have no brain activity, if you can't swallow you are dead. Please someone help end this. On the practical side of things, the other children have to be suffering from this whole situation. If the private donations stop I don't think it's fair for the taxpayers to foot the bill, when we have so many people that can recover from their illnesses with that money.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
She has a tracheostomy.
Thank you

Old 10-05-2014, 06:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
When I saw the two very, very brief videos where Mom claims that her daughter responds to her voice, my first thought was how many, hours and days of filming did they need to do to find those few seconds when Mom's voice matched an involuntary twitch or movement from her dead body.

Since the daughter is still connected to a number of machines, there may even be a point in the machines cycle where twitches or involuntary movements are more likely. After all even a completely broken, 'dead' clock has the correct time twice per day.

It is very, very sad for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events