Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times

Advertisements

For money reasons, we don't go the the theaters any more. We have a big screen HD TV with surround sound. When A movie comes out on pat-per-view we watch it.

Going to theater costs about 3 gallons of gas to drive the 60 miles to town, Then there are the tickets, I would have to guess they are $10 each times 2. Then comes the popcorn and drink, that's $12.50.

So to see one movie cost me a total of $32.50 for one movie. Or we can stay home and watch it for $6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
600 People Involved in Movie Theater Brawl, 5 Arrested

Stories like this seem more common these days.
With the twins we do not attend much anymore except for the occasional summer matinee.......we used to always go at Christmas to see a new release as we were away from family and friends and it was just the two of us.............except for this year. A close friend was alone from family for Christmas so I mentioned we could catch a movie Christmas night.

We arrived at the movie cinema to find a large crowd of mostly under 18 in long lines waiting to buy tickets or hanging around....we did the e ticket walked right in and hung out in the lobby for a while. There were so many kids hanging around and the ushers and off duty police were constantly checking to see if everybody who was inside had tickets. I noticed the crowd outside was continuing to move around quite a bit and there was little pushing and shoving "kid stuff" the cop inside that was later involved with the pepper spray was right next to where we sitting down......you could tell she was really nervous about dealing with the kids.

We went in to see the movie at 8:10 and came out at 11:45 to find the parking lot empty except for about 30 police cars......had no idea what had happened until I caught the news the next morning. There has always been a big group of kids hanging out in front but this is the first time it had gotten this out of hand. We will definitely stick with the matinees from now on.

Never would have thought I would have been involved in something that made national news.......we did not have a clue that something like that was going on while we were inside.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
We have had no violence in our local movie theaters. But between their admission price,concession prices and some rude people in the audience we do RedBox. Our local theater even runs several long commercials before the movie.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Have no interest and haven't been to movie in over 30 years.Why feather the nest of the actors???

Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
We have had no violence in our local movie theaters. But between their admission price,concession prices and some rude people in the audience we do RedBox. Our local theater even runs several long commercials before the movie.
Looks pretty serious

600 brawl: Video captures 600-person brawl at Florida movie theater melee - Long Island Top News | Examiner.com

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
I still enjoy going to the movies. No real problems have I encountered. It's expensive, but what the heck. My wife and I like to go.

I will say that we have a tougher time with choices (chick flicks vs. action man type), but we don't do those together.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM

453 posts, read 632,224 times
I'm not into 3D movies either. They don't impress me, and since I wear glasses much of the time the 3D glasses bother me.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
It does look serious but as I said it has not happened around here.( Southern Delaware)

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
We go about once a month. It is always a pleasant experience. No fights. Polite people. Our favorite theater just did a revamp and put in awesome reclining seats. You get to pick what seats you want as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
I don't like the theater anymore. With my partial hearing loss, I now have sensitivity to high pitch frequencies which are very painful, especially at high volume. The other problem is people with no consideration for others. Using cell phones (talking, texting <bright light>, or filming), talking loudly, throwing food, kicking seat backs, and other bad behavior ruins the experience. I'll watch at home on my HDTV, listen through my surround sound system, and eat snacks from my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events