Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Cell phone addicts - these people are in a class by themselves and no different than alcoholics or drug addicts. If you can't go two hours without checking your phone, you need counseling.
And it is none of your business that someone is in your mind "addicted" to a phone. They have the right to check it as bloody often as they want to if it's not interfering with your movie watching, and even if it does, a few short seconds isn't going to kill you. In other social realms where it's not interfering in anyway, it is absolutely 100% NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS how much they want to watch their phones. You ain't my daddy and have no right to dictate your cell phone morals on me. So...

Quote:
I wish I could invent a device that destroyed all cell phones within a 25 yard radius. I'd really start going to the movies more often.
That is the attitude of a bigot, no different than being a racist. It isn't your place to do that. At the very least, you're being a vigilante. And by not stating a desire to invent a device that makes people stop chatting with each OTHER there, or makes them silence their bratty toddlers, you're singling out one form of distraction over all the others. They all deserve the same treatment--a quick chit-chat between people that's quickly over, a quick cry from a child that's promptly tended to, a quick glance at a phone that lasts 5-7 seconds and that's it--get over it, people. To gripe about any of that is blatantly ridiculous. On the other hand, someone who can't stop chatting throughout the entire movie, someone with a cranky kid that's been squalling all throughout and they do NOTHING, someone who is staring at their phone the whole time and not "shielding" the light any and it's like a fireworks show--then something should be done, in ALL cases, EQUALLY. To single one out is to make you a bigot.

In the same manner, observing and laughing at people hastily checking their phones once the movie is over--so what? Who died & make you God? What business is that of yours, especially now that the movie is over and such interferes with your movie watching absolutely ZERO? If they want to check their phones, so what? That's their prerogative, they don't need your approval for any of that. If it bothers you--TOUGH. It is absolutely their prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And it is none of your business that someone is in your mind "addicted" to a phone. They have the right to check it as bloody often as they want to if it's not interfering with your movie watching, and even if it does, a few short seconds isn't going to kill you. In other social realms where it's not interfering in anyway, it is absolutely 100% NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS how much they want to watch their phones. You ain't my daddy and have no right to dictate your cell phone morals on me. So...
Can't one sit through a movie without checking their cell phone? If not, go into the lobby to check their messages and make their calls. A little common sense and manners go a long way.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We don't get brawls in movie theaters around here.
You probably should add a 'yet' to your statement, or they haven't been violent enough to make the news.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I like not having to get up and pee...3 hours is long time.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:

That is the attitude of a bigot, no different than being a racist. It isn't your place to do that. At the very least, you're being a vigilante. And by not stating a desire to invent a device that makes people stop chatting with each OTHER there, or makes them silence their bratty toddlers, you're singling out one form of distraction over all the others. They all deserve the same treatment--a quick chit-chat between people that's quickly over, a quick cry from a child that's promptly tended to, a quick glance at a phone that lasts 5-7 seconds and that's it--get over it, people. To gripe about any of that is blatantly ridiculous. On the other hand, someone who can't stop chatting throughout the entire movie, someone with a cranky kid that's been squalling all throughout and they do NOTHING, someone who is staring at their phone the whole time and not "shielding" the light any and it's like a fireworks show--then something should be done, in ALL cases, EQUALLY. To single one out is to make you a bigot.

In the same manner, observing and laughing at people hastily checking their phones once the movie is over--so what? Who died & make you God? What business is that of yours, especially now that the movie is over and such interferes with your movie watching absolutely ZERO? If they want to check their phones, so what? That's their prerogative, they don't need your approval for any of that. If it bothers you--TOUGH. It is absolutely their prerogative.

You're the guy who always sits behind me, aren't you?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:

It is my business if your checking your stupid phone while the movie is playing. People with your attitude should stay out if theaters. I have and will continue to have people thrown out of theaters when they interrupt the movie by their insane phone checking and refusal to stop. You want to check it, step out. Otherwise, wait until the movie is over. If I paid for the movie I have every right to dictate how you use your phone while the movie is playing. Deal with it.

It's quite amusing that you attribute disliking phone use where it's not proper to bigotry. You obviously have some mental issues.

Good ahead and check your phone. I'll laugh as you're thrown out of the movie. You're also two faced. What business is it of yours if I look at people checking their phones after the movie?

It's people like you, that lack civility and common courtesy, that make public places unpleasant for all. Get over yourself, do everyone a favor and stay home.

If it bothers you to be tossed out of a theater, TOUGH. It's my prerogative.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're the guy who always sits behind me, aren't you?
LOL. +1.

It's guys like him that likely causes all those fights.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:03 PM

I was a teen girl and the snooty 40 year old guy behind me and his wife would not shut up.

I asked them politely to be quiet and was basically told to eff myself (money doesn't buy you class).

So I went to the manager (who I knew bc, SURPRISE, I worked there!) and had him thrown out.

The look on his face was priceless...he thought he could be a big bully pos because I was just a kid...he screeched I would regret this! Even more priceless was then the cop was like, "Sir, is that a threat?"

Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was a teen girl and the snooty 40 year old guy behind me and his wife would not shut up.

I asked them politely to be quiet and was basically told to eff myself (money doesn't buy you class).

So I went to the manager (who I knew bc, SURPRISE, I worked there!) and had him thrown out.

The look on his face was priceless...he thought he could be a big bully pos because I was just a kid...he screeched I would regret this! Even more priceless was then the cop was like, "Sir, is that a threat?"
Some people should not be allowed in public. Good for you for having the moron thrown out. You're right, the look on their faces are worth the interruption.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
It is my business if your checking your stupid phone while the movie is playing.
Only if it's disruptive to your experience. If it's not, it's none of your business.

Quote:
People with your attitude should stay out if theaters. I have and will continue to have people thrown out of theaters when they interrupt the movie by their insane phone checking and refusal to stop. You want to check it, step out. Otherwise, wait until the movie is over. If I paid for the movie I have every right to dictate how you use your phone while the movie is playing. Deal with it.
You dictate nothing. The RULES do that. You report someone and the management throws them out, if they choose. If you want to keep on believing YOU threw them out, keep on. I can't help you. Maybe the way the other patrons see it, they also paid for the movie and don't answer to you personally about diddly squat. The management--okay, but you personally--nope.

Quote:
It's quite amusing that you attribute disliking phone use where it's not proper to bigotry. You obviously have some mental issues.
It IS "bigotry" if you single-out cell phone usage distraction while ignoring other disruptions. A disruption is a disruption is a disruption. Children bawling while the parents do nothing to quiet them, people carrying on full-blown conversations throughout, kicking the back of your seat, and yes someone on their phone if doing so means it lights up the place like a spotlight--they're ALL distractions, and deserve the same treatment. Singling one out over the others is a form of bigotry.

Quote:
Good ahead and check your phone. I'll laugh as you're thrown out of the movie. You're also two faced. What business is it of yours if I look at people checking their phones after the movie?
The point is you're judging them. They don't owe you any explanation as to why, 2 seconds after the movie is over, they have the burning desire to look at their phone. That's their prerogative to do so, and not any of your concern, now that such behavior is unquestionably affecting you zero. You can THINK of it what you wish all day long, call it silly all you wish, but beyond that, you're judging and casting dispersions over people you don't even know and whose behavior you don't understand. Maybe they're checking with their child's babysitter, maybe they're pulling up a list of places to eat at now that the movie is over, maybe they're looking at a naked picture of Selena Gomez--but no matter, it's none of your business.

More to the point, it's also my contention that your attitude thus is the REAL reason you like the idea of cell phone rules, not over any actual distraction. You see constant cell phone gazing as ridiculous and unnecessary, it just burns you to a crisp that other people see it differently than you, and any social situation where rules MAKE them put their phones away suits you not because you want to be able to enjoy the movie, but because you want to force your belief system on other people due to simple intolerance for opposing opinions.

That is definitely a form of bigotry.

Regardless, I'm not saying people at theatres should be able to do whatever no matter how it affects others. If something someone is doing is genuinely disruptive, I'm all for it being addressed. The point is more that I think cell phone users have sort of become a witch-hunted group with no real basis for it that others haven't equally earned in their own behaviors. I've heard many a person gripe about people being too attached to their cell phones, they're merely stating an opinion about people's ATTACHMENT to their device, NOT where such has lead to any actual problems--and my point is simply that unless it is actually affecting you, it's none of your business. Moreover, the "if people can't go 2 hours without staring at their phone they have problems" perspective is NOT the proper basis for people throwing a fit about cell phone usage during a movie, the actual DISRUPTION is the basis, PERIOD.

In like manner, I dislike people who don't discipline their kids, but it's not any of my business unless it's actually causing me a PROBLEM, such as the loud child in the theater while mommy refuses to discipline. In that situation, that is absolutely my business--but again, I'm not the one having them thrown out, management is. Regardless, in situations not of that type, I can think critically of her permissive parenting all I please, but ultimately it's none of my business, and my desire for a rule in a theater should be predicated NOT on my disapproval on that style of parenting, but that I wish to be able to watch my movie without disruptions and that said permissive parenting style disrupts it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-29-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events