Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Just can't beat the popcorn in movies.......I still go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I wouldn't go to a movie theater in a large town or city for a jillion dollars. And not to one in a gun rights state where too many people walk around with guns.

But I live in a small town in a nice handgun suppressive blue state, and it's so fun to go to the movie theaters in the nearby teeny towns (my town doesn't have one). The theaters are old and pretty (usually pre 1950), bringing your own food is encouraged (they WANT you to bring your own popcorn bucket), you often know many of the other people in the theater, and they do get new movies! New films will come for a 3 day run then leave, so if you want to see something you'd better jump on it! (Also, no 3-D showings, which I'm fine with.)

I'm sure the 3 theaters I go to now and then barely make money, but thank goodness they're still here for that "big screen" experience!
Where in American is not a gun right state? I would love to live there.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
I don't go to the movies much, but it has nothing to do with current events. Movies have gotten expensive, and there are few movies that have come out in years that I felt compelled to see in the theater. Mostly I'm fine to wait for Netflix/DVD.

When we do go, we tend to go to an early matinee showing -- cheaper, less crowded, quieter, which makes it more conducive to actually enjoying the movie.

I'll admit that the big shooting in Colorado did rattle me and I was a bit nervous the next time I went to the theater, but I think that's a common reaction. Bad things can and do happen anywhere at any time, and it's no solution to keep yourself away from movie theaters because of that fear.

Keeping yourself away from movie theaters because of price and crowded atmospheres, on the other hand? Totally legit.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM

130 posts, read 224,391 times
Has anyone else started to avoid movie theaters?

Yes, because of obnoxious bastardos on cell phones, not because of any fear of violence. I always carry a small pistol to discourage any idiots from involving me in their stupidity. Fortunately, I've yet had to display it or even draw it.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:50 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Have not been to a theater since we saw Forrest Gump!

I think the quality of movies has decreased, prices have increased, and the other people in the theater tend to produce multiple annoyances.

Add in the fact that IMHO there has not been a single movie trailer in years that made me say to the DW "we've got to see that" and there you have it.

Movie theaters are not my cup of tea and I have no interest in changing my opinion.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,907 times
I stopped going to movie theatres years ago. People have no respect with their precious cell phones and it p!sses me off so bad that it's better I just catch it on DVD.
Not to mention screaming kids, people talking, people bumping your seat, insane snack prices and the cost of the ticket. To me it's a hassle. I'm a movie lover but I like being in my own home where I can enjoy the movie in peace.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't say I was surprised when I heard this. Very sad. Much of the reason people don't go to the theaters, isn't just over the ticket prices and quality of films now days. It is the type of customers that show up, and your stuck with them in such a confined space. Of course you don't shoot them, and sadly that's nothing new in this country. Guns and violence seem to be an everyday occurrence in this country. The shooter should have just gotten up, and told the management if the texting bothered him. Then he should have just changed seats. It does make one wonder, just how our society got so messed up.

So I guess we can add another reason people might avoid theaters. You never know if the film, is going to be the only action taking place in the theater.
That was a really sad incident in FL. Just unbelievable.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I guess we are in the minority, because we do go to see movies that strike our fancy. We are retired so we can go to matinees, and the audiences at that time are usually older, quieter and sparser. This is not the case in the summer, but most of the movies we want to see don't come out in the summer, it seems.

But we don't go more than three or four (at most) times a year.

Its odd that you can buy a DVD for only a little more than the cost of admission to a first run movie, you know?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I thought I was just getting old and out of touch with what is cool until I heard a segment on NPR where they were discussing that the movie industry has become mostly focused on foreign markets now (that's where they make most of their money), and that is why the majority of the major films are filled with action, special effects, and animation

When I heard that, I realized why gradually over the past 10 years I have found fewer and fewer films each year that I would want to see in a theater.

I did see a few 3D ones a while ago and I thought those were worth the $14 ticket price. I saw Avatar in 3D, Alice in Wonderland, and a 3D film about the space station.

I was a child in the 70's so didn't see a lot of movies at that point (I do remember crying at the end of King Kong though), but I feel that some of the best American films were made in the 70's. There are so many good films from that decade.

If you only pick one film from the past to exemplify how different most films are today, I think Kramer vs. Kramer is a great choice. That film won five Academy Awards and five Golden Globes in 1979. That kind of movie would NEVER be a major film today and win so many awards. I'm not saying its one of my personal favorites, but I think it exemplifies how much has changed in the realm of major motion pictures in the US.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Hadn't been in years until this past holiday season. Overwhelms my senses. Attended a showing while visiting relatives over Christmas. Got a raging headache. Remembered why I avoid theaters. Won't go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events