Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times

Advertisements

I hate the idea of the movie theatre providing dinner. Ewww. Just seems messy and gross. Anyone ever done this? Comments on the food quality?

Movies pretty much stink these days too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Two words - home theater.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If it's okay to go just a WEE bit off-topic, there is something I'd like to address regarding watching movies at home, which is the natural alternative to going to a theater, the very thing discussed here.

Am I the only one that gets almost infuriated when DVDs have these "lock downs" where it's showing the FBI warning, or the production company's logo etc, and you are locked out from skipping past these parts? To me, skip should mean SKIP, I don't care what part of the disc you're watching. SKIP, as is NOW.

Okay I suppose that's petty if the given material is only a few seconds in length, but some movies I've seen lock you out from fast-winding even during the previews which can easily run 3-odd minutes. That infuriates me, enough I tend to even go so far as to copy a DVD and then burn it with only the feature selection and NOTHING ELSE at all on the disc before watching it, making it to where it starts playing IMMEDIATELY upon the disc being inserted into the player; even pressing play is unnecessary. It's not worth a person's time to do that if you watch a DVD one-time, but if you keep it and watch it again later, then for the future you are spared the promotional mess.
Slysoft AnyDVD.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
In Tucson we had a 16-theatre multiplex that just closed. Mainly to the fact that it was the No. 1 place in town for auto theft. Right on the interstate, 63 mi from Mexico, where the cars wind up. Buh bye.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:52 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I was recently in a movie theater on New Years Day with family. It was the first time in about 2 years. I had just gotten tired of people talking and playing on their cell phones and wanting to tell people to shut the f up. What can I say there is something appealing about staying in for a nice movie night. You control the environment and people.

Charlie.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
The brawl could occur anywhere. I took my daughter to Disney down in Florida, stopped at Dunkin Doughnuts afterwards to calm down from getting lost in Disney's parking lot at 1 am looking for Daisy 13 because the tram had shut down at midnight. ( by the way, not one employee would help us)
But anyway, we get to Dunkin Doughnuts and got involved in a shootout in the parking lot! At least 20 gang members shooting at each other, we ran in and started crawling around on the floor until the shooting stopped.

I think it is Florida rather than a movie theater.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM

203 posts, read 321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
600 People Involved in Movie Theater Brawl, 5 Arrested

Stories like this seem more common these days.
I don't think this is common.

I also don't avoid movie theaters.

Now, I don't go to the movies during peak times... that's for sure. I go either on a week day or night (not Friday), if I have it off, or I go during early matinees on Sat or Sun... no brawls... lol.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Haven't been to a movie in over 20 years.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
No comment as I'll be banned from CD

Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Within 15 miles of my home there are 7 movie theaters - including a drive in - operated by 6 different companies with about 100 screens

The local chain - Harkins - offers loyalty cups & t-shirts ........ for $30 combined it allows you a free medium popcorn (with the $25 shirt - you don't even need to unwrap the shirt) and a $1.50 large soda ..... we split this with a friend of ours that my wife works with - it really helps cut concession cost and we typically go on the matinee pricing

Although the AMC theater with $6 for the early show is nice if we don't want concessions

The closest theater has a coupon for a free popcorn with any movie ticket purchase (85 ounces) which is good through the end of august and it's a printable, no limit type coupon. The same theater on Sunday has $5 tickets on all shows before 6pm and a combo of a large popcorn and 2 large sodas for $7.75 which includes one refill of each.

All the theaters are clean & comfortable - no issues with parking or any bad actors .... I typically don't go to the late night shows because i'm in my 30s, married and have a kid .... if I'm doing the late night I'd probably be most inclined to just grab the double feature at the drive in ... the times I have gone to the late show I haven't had an issue

Stinks for those that do though - I have a nice home theater system, but it pales in comparison to the big screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events