Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

So in love with his phone, he is marching to DC for his civil rights...no more bigotry!

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I lost interest in going to movies a year or so ago. The quality and subject matter of films today, just doesn't interest me. That and the living room mentality in the theaters is a turn off.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Some people should not be allowed in public. Good for you for having the moron thrown out. You're right, the look on their faces are worth the interruption.
My intention was never for it to go that far.
But he was a total dick to the manager, too (who was a really sweet guy), and the local cop loved us and jumped in.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Only if it's disruptive to your experience. If it's not, it's none of your business.

You dictate nothing. The RULES do that. You report someone and the management throws them out, if they choose. If you want to keep on believing YOU threw them out, keep on. I can't help you. Maybe the way the other patrons see it, they also paid for the movie and don't answer to you personally about diddly squat. The management--okay, but you personally--nope.

It IS "bigotry" if you single-out cell phone usage distraction while ignoring other disruptions. A disruption is a disruption is a disruption. Children bawling while the parents do nothing to quiet them, people carrying on full-blown conversations throughout, kicking the back of your seat, and yes someone on their phone if doing so means it lights up the place like a spotlight--they're ALL distractions, and deserve the same treatment. Singling one out over the others is a form of bigotry.

The point is you're judging them. They don't owe you any explanation as to why, 2 seconds after the movie is over, they have the burning desire to look at their phone. That's their prerogative to do so, and not any of your concern, now that such behavior is unquestionably affecting you zero. You can THINK of it what you wish all day long, call it silly all you wish, but beyond that, you're judging and casting dispersions over people you don't even know and whose behavior you don't understand. Maybe they're checking with their child's babysitter, maybe they're pulling up a list of places to eat at now that the movie is over, maybe they're looking at a naked picture of Selena Gomez--but no matter, it's none of your business.

More to the point, it's also my contention that your attitude thus is the REAL reason you like the idea of cell phone rules, not over any actual distraction. You see constant cell phone gazing as ridiculous and unnecessary, it just burns you to a crisp that other people see it differently than you, and any social situation where rules MAKE their phones away suits you not because you want to be able to enjoy the movie, but because you want to force your belief system on other people with no actual basis for it.

That is definitely a form of bigotry.
You're just digging yourself into a hole and look foolish. It's understood that the management throws them out and I made it clear that it's only disruptive if it's DURING the movie. It's my business if I find them amusing scrambling to get to their phone as soon as the movie is over.

Your continued use of the bigotry accusation because I object to cell phone use DURING a movie is nothing short of the ignorant trying to make an argument without a valid point. Do you play the race card often as well?

You should quit while you're behind.

Last edited by Mike930; 12-29-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
And it is none of your business that someone is in your mind "addicted" to a phone. They have the right to check it as bloody often as they want to if it's not interfering with your movie watching, and even if it does, a few short seconds isn't going to kill you. In other social realms where it's not interfering in anyway, it is absolutely 100% NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS how much they want to watch their phones. You ain't my daddy and have no right to dictate your cell phone morals on me. So...

That is the attitude of a bigot, no different than being a racist. It isn't your place to do that. At the very least, you're being a vigilante. And by not stating a desire to invent a device that makes people stop chatting with each OTHER there, or makes them silence their bratty toddlers, you're singling out one form of distraction over all the others. They all deserve the same treatment--a quick chit-chat between people that's quickly over, a quick cry from a child that's promptly tended to, a quick glance at a phone that lasts 5-7 seconds and that's it--get over it, people. To gripe about any of that is blatantly ridiculous. On the other hand, someone who can't stop chatting throughout the entire movie, someone with a cranky kid that's been squalling all throughout and they do NOTHING, someone who is staring at their phone the whole time and not "shielding" the light any and it's like a fireworks show--then something should be done, in ALL cases, EQUALLY. To single one out is to make you a bigot.

In the same manner, observing and laughing at people hastily checking their phones once the movie is over--so what? Who died & make you God? What business is that of yours, especially now that the movie is over and such interferes with your movie watching absolutely ZERO? If they want to check their phones, so what? That's their prerogative, they don't need your approval for any of that. If it bothers you--TOUGH. It is absolutely their prerogative.
wow, this person needs to seek some kind of cell phone addiction counseling.

I find everytime someone checks the phone and I see the light from it to be annoying. if someone does it once or twice, ill assume it was important. but more than that is just some nut who is addicted to checking his cell phone.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
I can't believe so many people are bothered by cell phones and noise LOL. Really? I am more worried (but not too much) about a wacko blowing up the theater or deciding to shoot people just when I am in the theater. It would be just my luck. But I definitely don't care about noise. I clap and catcall in real theaters. As a former thespian I think interaction is good. I don't like being quiet in movies, but I do it because it is considered polite.

I remember when I first joined CD lo these many years ago, there was a thread about people who did not like their "noisy" neighbors. Not like music and stuff, but footsteps. My ex husband was like that. I must have bad hearing. Anyway, I hate having to be quiet and considerate in a movie theater. I am the kind of person who feels bad making noise or going to the bathroom because I don't want ppl to think I am rude.

At home watching a movie, I can talk to the screen, pause the movie...replay the parts I like...and pee as many times as I want. Without bothering judgmental strangers or feeling uncomfortable. If you are in a crowd, I guess being noisy is not really practical since nobody can hear the movie, and it is not like you can replay it.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I can't believe so many people are bothered by cell phones and noise LOL. Really? I am more worried (but not too much) about a wacko blowing up the theater or deciding to shoot people just when I am in the theater. It would be just my luck. But I definitely don't care about noise. I clap and catcall in real theaters. As a former thespian I think interaction is good. I don't like being quiet in movies, but I do it because it is considered polite.

I remember when I first joined CD lo these many years ago, there was a thread about people who did not like their "noisy" neighbors. Not like music and stuff, but footsteps. My ex husband was like that. I must have bad hearing. Anyway, I hate having to be quiet and considerate in a movie theater. I am the kind of person who feels bad making noise or going to the bathroom because I don't want ppl to think I am rude.

At home watching a movie, I can talk to the screen, pause the movie...replay the parts I like...and pee as many times as I want. Without bothering judgmental strangers or feeling uncomfortable. If you are in a crowd, I guess being noisy is not really practical since nobody can hear the movie, and it is not like you can replay it.
I think what you're talking about is different. I've been in many movies where people cheer, clap or laugh at scenes. That's appropriate and to be expected. Nothing wrong with it. It's the people having conversations during the movie or commenting at every line or scene that's distracting.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM

358 posts, read 512,180 times
Quote:
Only if it's disruptive to your experience. If it's not, it's none of your business.

You dictate nothing. The RULES do that. You report someone and the management throws them out, if they choose. If you want to keep on believing YOU threw them out, keep on. I can't help you. Maybe the way the other patrons see it, they also paid for the movie and don't answer to you personally about diddly squat. The management--okay, but you personally--nope.

It IS "bigotry" if you single-out cell phone usage distraction while ignoring other disruptions. A disruption is a disruption is a disruption. Children bawling while the parents do nothing to quiet them, people carrying on full-blown conversations throughout, kicking the back of your seat, and yes someone on their phone if doing so means it lights up the place like a spotlight--they're ALL distractions, and deserve the same treatment. Singling one out over the others is a form of bigotry.

The point is you're judging them. They don't owe you any explanation as to why, 2 seconds after the movie is over, they have the burning desire to look at their phone. That's their prerogative to do so, and not any of your concern, now that such behavior is unquestionably affecting you zero. You can THINK of it what you wish all day long, call it silly all you wish, but beyond that, you're judging and casting dispersions over people you don't even know and whose behavior you don't understand. Maybe they're checking with their child's babysitter, maybe they're pulling up a list of places to eat at now that the movie is over, maybe they're looking at a naked picture of Selena Gomez--but no matter, it's none of your business.

More to the point, it's also my contention that your attitude thus is the REAL reason you like the idea of cell phone rules, not over any actual distraction. You see constant cell phone gazing as ridiculous and unnecessary, it just burns you to a crisp that other people see it differently than you, and any social situation where rules MAKE them put their phones away suits you not because you want to be able to enjoy the movie, but because you want to force your belief system on other people due to simple intolerance for opposing opinions.

That is definitely a form of bigotry.

Regardless, I'm not saying people at theatres should be able to do whatever no matter how it affects others. If something someone is doing is genuinely disruptive, I'm all for it being addressed. The point is more that I think cell phone users have sort of become a witch-hunted group with no real basis for it that others haven't equally earned in their own behaviors. I've heard many a person gripe about people being too attached to their cell phones, they're merely stating an opinion about people's ATTACHMENT to their device, NOT where such has lead to any actual problems--and my point is simply that unless it is actually affecting you, it's none of your business. Moreover, the "if people can't go 2 hours without staring at their phone they have problems" perspective is NOT the proper basis for people throwing a fit about cell phone usage during a movie, the actual DISRUPTION is the basis, PERIOD.

In like manner, I dislike people who don't discipline their kids, but it's not any of my business unless it's actually causing me a PROBLEM, such as the loud child in the theater while mommy refuses to discipline. In that situation, that is absolutely my business--but again, I'm not the one having them thrown out, management is. Regardless, in situations not of that type, I can think critically of her permissive parenting all I please, but ultimately it's none of my business, and my desire for a rule in a theater should be predicated NOT on my disapproval on that style of parenting, but that I wish to be able to watch my movie without disruptions and that said permissive parenting style disrupts it.
I bet you have a really bad day someday. Let us know how you like it.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
If it's okay to go just a WEE bit off-topic, there is something I'd like to address regarding watching movies at home, which is the natural alternative to going to a theater, the very thing discussed here.

Am I the only one that gets almost infuriated when DVDs have these "lock downs" where it's showing the FBI warning, or the production company's logo etc, and you are locked out from skipping past these parts? To me, skip should mean SKIP, I don't care what part of the disc you're watching. SKIP, as is NOW.

Okay I suppose that's petty if the given material is only a few seconds in length, but some movies I've seen lock you out from fast-winding even during the previews which can easily run 3-odd minutes. That infuriates me, enough I tend to even go so far as to copy a DVD and then burn it with only the feature selection and NOTHING ELSE at all on the disc before watching it, making it to where it starts playing IMMEDIATELY upon the disc being inserted into the player; even pressing play is unnecessary. It's not worth a person's time to do that if you watch a DVD one-time, but if you keep it and watch it again later, then for the future you are spared the promotional mess.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
I will go to a Matinee but not competing with a packed house. Nope. There will always be loud and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events