Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
600 People Involved in Movie Theater Brawl, 5 Arrested

Stories like this seem more common these days.
Yes, I avoid movie theatres but it's because I can't smoke and I don't like crowds. Besides, it's far cheaper to wait until I can rent it and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I don't like the theater anymore. With my partial hearing loss, I now have sensitivity to high pitch frequencies which are very painful, especially at high volume. The other problem is people with no consideration for others. Using cell phones (talking, texting <bright light>, or filming), talking loudly, throwing food, kicking seat backs, and other bad behavior ruins the experience. I'll watch at home on my HDTV, listen through my surround sound system, and eat snacks from my kitchen.
Really? I thought they always had the volume way up for the benefit of the hearing-impaired.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Why would I want to watch with the general public when I can enjoy the same film in the comfort of my own home?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Really? I thought they always had the volume way up for the benefit of the hearing-impaired.
Not all hearing loss is about volume. Most hearing loss involves a loss of clarity and complete loss of some frequencies. This form of hearing loss also results in sensitivity to certain frequencies.we hear these frequencies fine, but they're now painful at loud volume. When speaking to someone with hearing loss, speak slower than normal and speak each word fully before forming the next word. Women tend to speak so quickly that it sounds like they've turned a complete sentence into one word.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
We prefer to go during the day and sometimes we're the only one in the theater. I love 3D movies and the popcorn is an added bonus. We went to one theater in a rich town and everyone was well behaved. No talkers, no cell phones. Heaven.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
As far as I can see, this entire discussion has not turned into race politics. Amazing.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
I go to a movie about once every 5 years or so. That's just me--no problems with misbehaving people. I know that my family members in Memphis are unable to go to movies because they have experienced constant talking to the movie screen & fights/vandalism/mob behavior in the parking lot. I think it just depends on the location & what passes for acceptable behavior in that particular community.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
I enjoying seeing some films on the big screen--I like the full experience. However, I enjoy going to the cinema less and less, not because I am worried about violence but because of the conduct of other people. The last time my husband and I went to a movie theater, a guy behind us kept asking his companion to explain things to him (it was not a complex film), a couple in front of us were whispering and giggling, and many people throughout the audience had their cell phones out most of the time (the lights were distracting). I cannot understand why people pay the money when they don't even pay attention to the movie.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We prefer to go during the day and sometimes we're the only one in the theater. I love 3D movies and the popcorn is an added bonus. We went to one theater in a rich town and everyone was well behaved. No talkers, no cell phones. Heaven.
Here popcorn costs more then the movie ticket. So when I go I bring my own bag of microwaved popped corn. Cheaper and healthier.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have never liked theaters since dating years. My wife loves to go to see certain movies there tho. Luckily for me she has a group of friends she attends with. They basically always go to early showing and have dinner afterwards; so its really a girls night out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events