Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I caught the edit to add "or conservative politics". I guess you weren't painting with a broad enough brush in your original criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Pitbulls are cultural. They are associated with the following behaviors/trends/items

(1) Tattoos
(2) Mixed Martial Arts/Wresting/X-Games - choose one or more
(3) Guns
(4) Gangs
(5) Trucks (plus 1 for a raised or lowered truck)
(6) Keystone/Pabst Blue Ribbon/Miller Lite - choose one or more
(7) Lack of a formal 4 year college degree
(8) Tea Party
(9) Jobs associated with the following: bouncer, bar tender, waiter, trainer, smoke shop employee, tire shop or brakes employee
(10) Weed/Cigarettes/Skoal - choose one or more

If you own a pitbull, there is a 90% chance, that you are associated with at least 3 or more of the characteristics above.

I don't have a pitbull.... yet ... but know them for the overall awesome dogs they are.....

(1) Tattoos -- One discreet one on an ankle .... will probably get another one on the other ankle one of these days.....

(2) Mixed Martial Arts/Wresting/X-Games - choose one or more -- Nope --- none of the above.... I was a competitive swimmer back in the day, though

(3) Guns -- Nope, never have and never will

(4) Gangs -- does the large group of shelter rescuers I work and associate with count??

(5) Trucks (plus 1 for a raised or lowered truck) -- Nope .. brand new Kia Soul

(6) Keystone/Pabst Blue Ribbon/Miller Lite - choose one or more -- Nope... prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon

(7) Lack of a formal 4 year college degree --BS in Business and Commerce earned 05/85

(8) Tea Party - GOD, no....

(9) Jobs associated with the following: bouncer, bar tender, waiter, trainer, smoke shop employee, tire shop or brakes employee --- well, I DID put myself through college working as a waitress and bartender from about 1981 through mid 1985.....

(10) Weed/Cigarettes/Skoal - choose one or more -- got me there.... damned cigarettes....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
So, basically, any body that has a pit bull and meets any arbitrary number of your arbitrary criteria is a "typical" Pit bull owner.

I can't even fathom the ignorance of that thought process.
It surprised me because River's pretty smart.

I should add that we didn't venture out "pit bull" shopping. My saintly wife took our Pomeranian to the big pet shop and he hit it off with some three year old APBT that was being showcased by one of the rescue groups here in the Valley of the Sun.

We worked with her diligently to be not so introverted.....she spent her days hiding under the bed. Fairly sure she was abused.....at the very least....neglected.

Now keep in mind that they're part terrier so they can be "high energy." They need lots of walks and lots of play time. Not unlike many other breeds.

And again, I will reiterate to anyone here that cares to pay attention:

APBTs were bred to be COMPANION dogs.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Oooops.......take 6 off my list.....I read that wrong.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I don't have a pitbull.... yet ... but know them for the overall awesome dogs they are.....

(1) Tattoos -- One discreet one on an ankle .... will probably get another one on the other ankle one of these days.....

(2) Mixed Martial Arts/Wresting/X-Games - choose one or more -- Nope --- none of the above.... I was a competitive swimmer back in the day, though

(3) Guns -- Nope, never have and never will

(4) Gangs -- does the large group of shelter rescuers I work and associate with count??

(5) Trucks (plus 1 for a raised or lowered truck) -- Nope .. brand new Kia Soul

(6) Keystone/Pabst Blue Ribbon/Miller Lite - choose one or more -- Nope... prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon

(7) Lack of a formal 4 year college degree --BS in Business and Commerce earned 05/85

(8) Tea Party - GOD, no....

(9) Jobs associated with the following: bouncer, bar tender, waiter, trainer, smoke shop employee, tire shop or brakes employee --- well, I DID put myself through college working as a waitress and bartender from about 1981 through mid 1985.....

(10) Weed/Cigarettes/Skoal - choose one or more -- got me there.... damned cigarettes....
You're such a dirtbag.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 AM
YAZ

Quote:

How am I applying a broad brush when you admitted that you have 4 of the 10 traits? You are confirming what I'm saying. You participated in martial arts. You drive a truck. You smoke. You have guns. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying it's cutlural. Pit bulls are associated with certain personality trait and culture in this country.

But you lumped tats and gang activity in there as though these "traits" were somehow equivalent to the others that you mentioned.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
You're such a dirtbag.

I KNOW!! Right??

Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Pitbulls are cultural. They are associated with the following behaviors/trends/items

(1) Tattoos
(2) Mixed Martial Arts/Wresting/X-Games - choose one or more
(3) Guns
(4) Gangs
(5) Trucks (plus 1 for a raised or lowered truck)
(6) Keystone/Pabst Blue Ribbon/Miller Lite - choose one or more
(7) Lack of a formal 4 year college degree
(8) Tea Party
(9) Jobs associated with the following: bouncer, bar tender, waiter, trainer, smoke shop employee, tire shop or brakes employee
(10) Weed/Cigarettes/Skoal - choose one or more

If you own a pitbull, there is a 90% chance, that you are associated with at least 3 or more of the characteristics above.
I could name the professions of the pit bull owners I know that require graduate degrees, starting with a family medicine physician married to a surgeon , and I could go on for a long time. I won't bore you. But the pictures in this video represent the kind of people I know.

The Majority Project: First Look! | Animal Farm Foundation

Old 06-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I could name the professions of the pit bull owners I know that require graduate degrees, starting with a family medicine physician married to a surgeon , and I could go on for a long time. I won't bore you. But the pictures in this video represent the kind of people I know.

don't know HOW I hadn't heard of this before.... but LOVE it!!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post

Great video! Those are the types of folks that I know that own pit bulls too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies