Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM

667 posts, read 940,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post

And all other dangerous dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM

11,794 posts, read 5,801,446 times
How about dangerous individuals? Kill the dog but jail for life a serial killer and give him food, housing, an education, the right to sue, ect. ect. I really think you people have your priorities screwed up. To spend so much time on a breed of dog - when there are worse things going on in this world. And most of you have no experience with the animal but are only repeating things you read. Please try to contain your ignorance.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post

Oh, how I love that the ever reliable and unbiased Colleen Lynn's website gets trotted out when the haters have run out of hate to repeat.....

you should REALLY do a little research before you start using that website as any kind of "authority."

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I agree with Shelby.

We are LONG overdue on licensing and inspection and regulation of dog breeding.

These are sentient, emotional beings who are abused at neglected at every turn.

We tried it the lassaiz-faire way and millions of dogs are killed a year. The banning of puppy mills in many places is a good first step. But we need to crack down harder.

I am not a person who likes laws or regulating every damn thing, but animals are not furniture or property. We have failed in our duty as their stewards.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please don't make sweeping generalizations. It's a few bad pit bull owners that make the world a miserable place for a lot of people - and dogs.

As stated before, I've owned several pit bull mixes (most "pit bulls" are mixes, by the way -people tend to call any dog that has any pit bull in them a pit bull) over the years. I KNOW they can be very aggressive toward other dogs, so I keep that in mind. I know better than to play "tug o war" with them and encourage that tendency in them (same with boxers by the way - people should not play tug o war with them either, and a number of other breeds for that matter).

I also know better than to leave my grandkids alone with any dog.

And I would never - NEVER - chain up a dog of mine, or leave them in a small enclosure neglected for hours every day. And don't even get me started on TRAINING a dog to fight. My dogs have it great - they are indoor/outdoor dogs (can come and go in or out as they please, and when they're out they're in a large, well fenced yard and when they're in they're usually right at my feet). And they get a long walk nearly every night with my husband and me.

Finally, any dog of mine is spayed/neutered at the earliest age possible from a health perspective.

There are many, many owners of pit bulls and pit mixes who are very responsible and therefore have years of drama free and loving life with their "babies" while raising their families simultaneously.
Sorry, although I frequently agree with you on other subjects, this is not one of them.

I don't believe it just a few bad owners, because as others have said most dog owners of many breeds are mediocre owners at best even though they probably consider themselves good dog owners.

The problem is you cant afford to be a mediocre dog owner with powerful dogs. Usually the worst that happens with many other breeds is you end up with a neurotic dog that decreases your quality of life as well as the dogs...although more often than not these people label the neuroses they create in their dogs cute.

And further while you are clear on the dogs traits you rarely see that expressed by pit bull lovers when these threads come up.

Finally, as others have said, these dogs are seriously overbred by irresponsible breeders. Its only a matter of common sense and math to realize too many of them are out there and in the hands of many bad or mediocre owners. All it takes is a trip to your local shelter or a look through craigslist ads to know that.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Default My precious Bubba would never hurt his Mommy. Oh! Stop! Bubba, Bubba BUBBAAAAAAAAAA!

Sometimes Pitties do pick more appropriate targets (instead of stalking the elderly, or chewing the faces off toddlers). This precious wigglebutt bundle-o'-love turned on his Mommy, who COULD have had him put down after he'd already attacked multiple humans.

Woman suffers severe injuries from her own pit bull | wwltv.com New Orleans

I was checking a Mississippi political blog, and this story was on a link in the sidebar. These stories are everywhere. You don't have to go hunting for them.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
This one was posted on Fbook by a friend who is a pit defender. She said "Just because the owner says it's a pit bull doesn't mean it's really a pit bull"

Woman attacked, killed by dog in Butler County - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This one was posted on Fbook by a friend who is a pit defender. She said "Just because the owner says it's a pit bull doesn't mean it's really a pit bull"

Woman attacked, killed by dog in Butler County - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV
And here's an article on the same killing with a picture of the dog....gee, it looks like a pit to me.

Grandmother babysitting toddler is mauled to death by family

Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
And here's an article on the same killing with a picture of the dog....gee, it looks like a pit to me.

Grandmother babysitting toddler is mauled to death by family

the ridiculous chain around its neck and its mutilated ears tell me ALLLLL I need to know about the owners of this dog and how he was treated.....

Old 08-06-2014, 04:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Punish the breed, not the deed. Thats what they say. I have a hard time believing that, though. I get sooooo tired of all the excuses made by pit lovers each time someone is killed by one of these dogs (which is almost a monthly occurrence). And each news story is almost the same! It goes something like this: "the dog was always so sweet and loving, I dont know what happened!"

Ill tell you what happened... the dog snapped. And its not because it was "raised wrong". A lot of these killer pits were raised from puppies in loving homes! What makes me sick is knowing that families all over the USA are having to bury family members because of a dog. I cant imagine what those poor families are going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies