Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times

Advertisements

Pit Bulls are terriers. Terriers have an incredibly strong if not the strongest prey instinct of all dogs. They are also all fearless.

Even small terriers will charge other dogs and their prey instinct when triggered can overcome any amount of training. They will go through electric fences, etc. All you have to do to understand this is move something in front of them.

No terrier should be off leash if you value the dog and other peoples safety. And people shouldn't own pitts unless they are committed to keeping them on leash and physically able to restrain them. I would never own one for that reason.

The best thing people who care about these dogs could do imo is stop promoting them. Keep them restrained and let their popularity die down. Bad things happen to dogs and sometimes the people they come in contract with when they become too popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it genuinely impossible to form an opinion about pit bulls? Seems impossible to find information from a neutral enough source...
The truth is almost always in the middle.

Are most the pit bulls that attack people owned by stupid owners? Yes

Are pit bulls genetically more likely to severely maim or kill other dogs or people? yes

The answer is both. Stupid owners that posses something that requires a responsible owner is the problem. The same can be said for sports cars, guns, or fireworks. Stupid people ef up everything.

At this point, the statistics are so bad with these dogs, that it shouldn't matter what the reasons for their attacks are. I would be ok with a complete ban of them. It sucks for the responsible owners, but as already stated..............stupid people ef up everything.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The truth is almost always in the middle.

Are most the pit bulls that attack people owned by stupid owners? Yes

Are pit bulls genetically more likely to severely maim or kill other dogs or people? yes

The answer is both. Stupid owners that posses something that requires a responsible owner is the problem. The same can be said for sports cars, guns, or fireworks. Stupid people ef up everything.

At this point, the statistics are so bad with these dogs, that it shouldn't matter what the reasons for their attacks are. I would be ok with a complete ban of them. It sucks for the responsible owners, but as already stated..............stupid people ef up everything.
Stupid people should be held liable and punished severely - then maybe the UN stupid people might be able to enjoy dogs, or guns, or sports cars, or fireworks the way they enjoy the other things in their lives - responsibly.

Anyone who has raised and loved and treated a pit bull well can relate to how loving and good natured these dogs can be if raised in a healthy environment. One of the very reasons that people are so passionate about these dogs (positively or negatively) is because of their nature. A pit bull raised well is one of the most adorable dogs, with the most engaging and funny personalities, that you can imagine. A pit bull raised poorly is a danger to the neighborhood and a huge liability.

Maybe if more irresponsible owners were slapped with charges and held liable, we'd have fewer issues. Pit bulls have been around a very long time and until the past twenty years or so, they did not have the reputation, or track record, that they have now. This tells me that the problem lies more with the owners than the breed itself.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Stupid people should be held liable and punished severely - then maybe the UN stupid people might be able to enjoy dogs, or guns, or sports cars, or fireworks the way they enjoy the other things in their lives - responsibly.

Anyone who has raised and loved and treated a pit bull well can relate to how loving and good natured these dogs can be if raised in a healthy environment. One of the very reasons that people are so passionate about these dogs (positively or negatively) is because of their nature. A pit bull raised well is one of the most adorable dogs, with the most engaging and funny personalities, that you can imagine. A pit bull raised poorly is a danger to the neighborhood and a huge liability.

Maybe if more irresponsible owners were slapped with charges and held liable, we'd have fewer issues. Pit bulls have been around a very long time and until the past twenty years or so, they did not have the reputation, or track record, that they have now. This tells me that the problem lies more with the owners than the breed itself.
They have always been dangerous dogs, but they weren't as popular in the past as they are now, so you didn't hear about them constantly.

The reason people are so passionate about these dogs, is because the look cool. At the end of the day, they're a completely inferior breed in regards to a family dog. Despite what the owners of these dogs believe, pit bulls are not a particularly smart dog, and they have a ton of undesirable traits bred into them. It's hard to picture an intelligent person choosing this breed of dog over something like a golden retriever or collie for a family pet. The only reason I would ever own one of these dogs, would be if I was involved in dog fighting. I wouldn't own a Siberian husky if I wasn't involved in sledding for the same reason. These dogs in most cases are nothing more than a piece of bling bling. They're status symbols for the uneducated.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
They have always been dangerous dogs, but they weren't as popular in the past as they are now, so you didn't hear about them constantly.

The reason people are so passionate about these dogs, is because the look cool. At the end of the day, they're a completely inferior breed in regards to a family dog. Despite what the owners of these dogs believe, pit bulls are not a particularly smart dog, and they have a ton of undesirable traits bred into them. It's hard to picture an intelligent person choosing this breed of dog over something like a golden retriever or collie for a family pet. The only reason I would ever own one of these dogs, would be if I was involved in dog fighting. I wouldn't own a Siberian husky if I wasn't involved in sledding for the same reason. These dogs in most cases are nothing more than a piece of bling bling. They're status symbols for the uneducated.

LOL....

you ACTUALLY believe this about everyone who owns a pit bull or pb x ??

Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
LOL....

you ACTUALLY believe this about everyone who owns a pit bull or pb x ??

Not everyone.......but most.

It would be hard to dispute that there is a pretty strong correlation between owning a pit bull and being uneducated. Just go to any bad neighborhood in a large city or trailer park in the sticks, and these dogs are everywhere. Go to a nice gated community, and they're virtually non-existent.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I take it you've never owned a pit bull. I have owned several dogs that are mixed pit bulls, and without exception they were rescued dogs. Several of them were abandoned puppies and I had no idea they even HAD any pit bull in them till they got older (all very young puppies look pretty much the same to me). I've also owned an American Bulldog, which is similar in look and build and temperament to a pit bull.

I would never DREAM of parading around with any dog of mine or considering one as a "bling bling" accessory. I don't rescue dogs for status symbols. But I do passionately commit myself to any dog I rescue and I have never - NEVER - had the slightest issue with aggression toward humans from any dog I've owned. Wait - I take that back. I took an adult Boxer in because it's owner was being deployed to Iraq, and I didn't realize that the owner had played very roughly with this adult male - who also was not neutered. He did not accept me as his master and due to the fact that I had kids in the household, I didn't feel that he was a suitable family dog, and I gave him back immediately to the owner to find him another home.

You may be interested to know that every single person who works at my vet's office, including the two veterinarians, own rescued pit bulls and pit bull mixes as their personal pets. I know this because when we accidentally became the owners of a pit bull mix puppy we found on the side of the road, due to all the negative publicity, we were dismayed and asked our vet if we should have the puppy put down rather than try to raise her as a family pet. The team there immediately defended the breed and told us about their own dogs. They said that the only (and very few) cases of aggressive pits they've ever dealt with were neglected, abused dogs.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-21-2014 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I take it you've never owned a pit bull. I have owned several dogs that are mixed pit bulls, and without exception they were rescued dogs. Several of them were abandoned puppies and I had no idea they even HAD any pit bull in them till they got older (all very young puppies look pretty much the same to me). I've also owned an American Bulldog, which is similar in look and build and temperament to a pit bull.

I would never DREAM of parading around with any dog of mine or considering one as a "bling bling" accessory. I don't rescue dogs for status symbols. But I do passionately commit myself to any dog I rescue and I have never - NEVER - had the slightest issue with aggression from any dog I've owned. Wait - I take that back. I took an adult Boxer in because it's owner was being deployed to Iraq, and I didn't realize that the owner had played very roughly with this adult male - who also was not neutered. He did not accept me as his master and due to the fact that I had kids in the household, I didn't feel that he was a suitable family dog, and I gave him back immediately to the owner to find him another home.

You may be interested to know that every single person who works at my vet's office, including the two veterinarians, own rescued pit bulls and pit bull mixes as their personal pets. I know this because when we accidentally became the owners of a pit bull mix puppy we found on the side of the road, due to all the negative publicity, we were dismayed and asked our vet if we should have the puppy put down rather than try to raise her as a family pet. The team there immediately defended the breed and told us about their own dogs. They said that the only (and very few) cases of aggressive pits they've ever dealt with were neglected, abused dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess this means you don't have an intelligent answer.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
I guess this means you don't have an intelligent answer.

that and he or she has never once in his or her life dealt with or worked with or handled any pit bull or pb x ... that they know of ..... it is those of us with direct experience with the breed that know them for the overall fantastic dogs they are.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies