Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 PM

159 posts, read 169,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Oh yea, playing tug of war with a Pit Bull. I don't see how anything POSSIBLY could go wrong there.
There are rules to tug. It does not seem like you know a lot about dog behavior and training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM

159 posts, read 169,178 times
It's terrible when someone gets attacked by a dog. Playing tug has nothing to do with it. I only wanted to clear up the false info that someone posted that playing tug is bad. Like I said, tug actually teaches a dog control.

And no need to be troubled, I have played tug with my Mastiff, Rottweiler and Cane Corso's for many years.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
a pitbull can not maim or kill me from a block away......

and fwiw, dogs in reputable rescues are not adopted out without having first been spayed or neutered ..... if you had the TINIEST clue of what you are talking about, you would know that.....
Your responses are getting more and more absurd.
First a pitbull can close the distance between you in a very short time. Regardless it is still absurd to imply a gun can shoot you from a distance and imply the comparative analogy somehow fits. Unless a human being pulls a trigger of a gun, it cannot harm you. Yet everyone knows a pitbull on the loose can main or kill other animals or humans without any other factor/person being involved.

As to your second assertion, they might do their best to try and insure dogs they adopt out seem socialized with good temperaments. However many times they have no clue what linage the dog has, nor what previous abuses it may have encountered. So if they adopt it out to someone, and the dog snaps because of the aforementioned, you and others will be the first to blame humans for having mistreated it. So you cannot have it both ways by saying on the one hand shelters & rescues by virtue of neutering the dogs and assessing them can "safely place the dogs with new homes". Then you turn around when someone gets maimed or killed say it is not the dogs fault, it was humans who caused it by previous abuse.
Sorry, but no sale.

Lastly, just because a dog has been neutered does not mean he suddenly becomes a limp pawed lap dog. While they may become more docile, they still have the destructive capabilities even if they are only sporting neuticles.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Your responses are getting more and more absurd.
First a pitbull can close the distance between you in a very short time. Regardless it is still absurd to imply a gun can shoot you from a distance and imply the comparative analogy somehow fits. Unless a human being pulls a trigger of a gun, it cannot harm you. Yet everyone knows a pitbull on the loose can main or kill other animals or humans without any other factor/person being involved.

As to your second assertion, they might do their best to try and insure dogs they adopt out seem socialized with good temperaments. However many times they have no clue what linage the dog has, nor what previous abuses it may have encountered. So if they adopt it out to someone, and the dog snaps because of the aforementioned, you and others will be the first to blame humans for having mistreated it. So you cannot have it both ways by saying on the one hand shelters & rescues by virtue of neutering the dogs and assessing them can "safely place the dogs with new homes". Then you turn around when someone gets maimed or killed say it is not the dogs fault, it was humans who caused it by previous abuse.
Sorry, but no sale.

Lastly, just because a dog has been neutered does not mean he suddenly becomes a limp pawed lap dog. While they may become more docile, they still have the destructive capabilities even if they are only sporting neuticles.

the neuter comment was directed at your assertion that future generations from an abused dog will also be vicious.....

Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,653 times
Yet another one....

Pit bull owner arrested after dog attacks child in Commerce City - The Denver Post

Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
While you're researching, why don't you google "pit bull saves", and you will find many, many more results of pit bulls that have come to the rescue of their owner, a stranger, a cat, a neighbor... this despite the fact that the bad things in the world (not just about dogs) get reported much more often than the good things in life.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
While you're researching, why don't you google "pit bull saves", and you will find many, many more results of pit bulls that have come to the rescue of their owner, a stranger, a cat, a neighbor... this despite the fact that the bad things in the world (not just about dogs) get reported much more often than the good things in life.
Don't you feel bad for the child in the link I posted or only feel like apologizing for the breed....AGAIN.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM

I feel horrible for anyone who is attacked by a dog, especially a child. I don't minimize that. But apparently you regularly search for and use these stories to hammer in a point. If you expect people to just leave this as a one sided thread with nothing challenged, you don't get the concept of a forum. But I know you do get it. I'm a big girl, and if you want to try to lay a guilt trip on me for defending a group of dogs that are maligned unfairly, it doesn't bother me.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Actually I just Google "Pit Bull attacks" and sure enough one shows up "everyday". Not to mention the ones that are not reported. I am sure the little boy who was attacked would not care about some vicious dogs be "maligned unfairly". These dogs are a menace and I will post them every time I see one.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Go ahead and post. But if someone wants to point out that a lot of times these dogs are not pit bulls, that BSL doesn't work to make people safer, or anything else, don't make us out to be bad guys who don't care about people. If I thought banning pit bulls would make people one iota safer, I'd say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies