Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 06:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Pit breeders around here also promote their dogs with comments like "most massive heads ever created".
It is little wonder why the worst people are attracted and will pay for these type of dogs.

BTW - I am not only talking about thugs, but the wannabes and the typical tattooed losers who want to project being "badass".

that dog is not a pit bull and anyone who knew anything about pit bulls would know that.....

it may be a mix.... possibly crossed with some sort of mastiff....

or it may be a photoshop job....

hard to know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yaz and other pit apologists who think they know everything there is to know, have no time to educate themselves with something that goes against their brainwashing.

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKWjAE8sOc
The American pit is so popular for fighting that even in the U.K. it's feared. It has quite the reputation.......wonder why???

Yep, regardless of the truth. This is exactly why people and animals continue to get hurt. They don't seem to believe that these dogs are still being bred to kill. Seems logical that people would fear a dog still being fought, but call me crazy.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
LOL. I don't deal with him much. It's my daughters dog. My point is he is not nearly as important as my daughter. He is hers to take care of but she is my number one priority. He is way down the line.

You animals lovers are a ***** bunch.
Every dog trainer I've seen remarks on how he has to educate dog owners to stop treating their dogs like people, they are dogs. Projecting human qualities onto a dog is dangerous, it can cause all kinds of behavioral problems. Dogs should be treated like the animals they are. You can love your animal but loving it like a human will not be productive for the dog or the person. You are correct.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
that dog is not a pit bull and anyone who knew anything about pit bulls would know that.....

it may be a mix.... possibly crossed with some sort of mastiff....

or it may be a photoshop job....

hard to know....

This is another example of how pit apologists try to obfuscate the primary issue.

I and most others who speak out against the ownership of pits don't care if they are pure bred meeting the AKC definition of an American Bull Terrier, Starrordshire Bull Terrier, etc.
If a mixed pit tears up a family pet or human, it is not going to matter if the pit was only 50-50 with some other breed or pure bred.

That is another reason I like what they have in Miami-Dade County to where it only needs to have pitbull characteristics not actually be pure bred. It helps to eliminate the classic identification excuses and lawyer like defenses. It would not surprise me if dogs like a Presa or Dogo were lumped into the group as they look like pitbulls on steroids.
It would also not surprise me if the video ad for the "massive 150lb pitbull" you are referring to was a mix with one of those instead.

The bottom line which alludes some, and is blindly ignored by others is that pitbulls, mixed or purebred under a different name is not the issue. It is the destructive capability they possess unlike most other dogs. Add to that their tenacity, resistance to pain and the massive tissue damage they can inflict makes them too dangerous to have in populated areas.

`

Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM

if you had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that when breeds are crossed, there is no guarantee what characteristics of the crossed breeds will show up in the offspring.....

also, you do realize that the german shepherd has a stronger bite pressure than the pit bull, don't you?? you want them and their mixes banned, too??

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
if you had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that when breeds are crossed, there is no guarantee what characteristics of the crossed breeds will show up in the offspring.....

also, you do realize that the german shepherd has a stronger bite pressure than the pit bull, don't you?? you want them and their mixes banned, too??
Pits are the worst by far. More attacks by that breed. Ban them.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:

Though I agree with a point you made regarding mixed breeds, the fact remains they exists and do damage just like pure bred dogs. The fact that pits and pit mixes are number one in human fatalities seems to get lost with you because of your myopic defense of the breed.
So I am no longer taking the bait and allow you to deflect from the primary issue.

While I do not know your level of knowledge, I suspect it is limited and very one sided. I wonder if you even watched that video that was recently posted about the history of pit fighting since it will go against the brainwashing and koolaid you have been raised on.
Despite what you may believe, my knowledge base is fairly extensive, and I have looked at this issue from many sides. I have seen first hand the massive tissue damage pitbulls have inflicted on animals and humans. I have seen first hand how pitbulls act/react in both professional settings like animals shelters as well as personal interaction with a relative and a friends pitbulls. Furthermore, I am certainly aware of the history of how the pitbull came into existence and the reason for it's creation.

There is no way you could have all that knowledge and still be such an apologist for the breed. So regardless of your level of knowledge, you seriously need to look at the other side of the issue, play devils advocate, and get a fresh perspective from your current core beliefs.

`

Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Wild Russian Boars? LOL....

they are nothing more than feral hogs..... descendents of hogs escaped from your tenant farmers.... they are fierce creatures to be sure.... but that embellishment is so not necessary.......
No, these are real Russia Boars. They are not 'pigs gone feral'. Someone imported them as a 'sport animal' or whatever that's called. And they multiplied.

I/we rent my/our land (Various entities own various parcels. Sometimes I'm a participant. Sometimes I'm sole owner.) to FARMING CORPORATIONS. Always, these corporations farm upwards of a thousand acres - generally several parcels owned by several entities. It's not much different from what you'd see in Iowa or Nebraska. Sorry to dispel your Tobacco Road imagery.

This is what it looks like: http://www.traxcoirrigation.com/wp-c...ot-irrigat.jpg These corporations, like in the Midwest, have very few employees, and their operations are highly capital-intensive - lots of very big equipment.

Maybe this is what you had in mind? http://www.americanbluestheater.com/...cco-road-5.jpg

Anyway, there are hedgerows and wetlands where the Russian Boars hang out (when not rooting-up fields) http://www.halleethehomemaker.com/wp...ur-640x480.jpg And Pit Bulls are actually fool enough to go in and try to kill them. So, I have to acknowledge that those demon dogs are good for that one thing.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 AM

here are a couple of pictures of feral hogs:

they don't look much like hogs found on today's farms, so I can understand Gloria's confusion..... but not the defensiveness.... Tobacco Road??

feral hog colonies were started as early as the 16th and 17th centuries when hogs got loose from explorers or early settlers...... they are intelligent and very tough, so "hog dogs" must be the same....

Old 07-13-2014, 05:45 AM

624 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it genuinely impossible to form an opinion about pit bulls? Seems impossible to find information from a neutral enough source...
I wouldn't call these folks neutral, but they do try to back up their facts about pitbulls with the history of the breed.

Breed History | BAD RAP

That said, I would never allow a PB around kids, or any large dog, for that matter. Years ago, I read an article in the Atlantic about owning a PB. The woman who wrote the article said that owning a PB is only for dedicated lovers of the breed. Her opinion was that you always have to show them who's the boss, and they require a strict schedule of daily walks, and regular obedience training, to reinforce to the dog who is the boss. (the human) Otherwise, they will constantly test they authority of their owners, and try to become the dominant one in the relationship. Most people just don't have the time or inclination to bother housebreaking their dogs properly, let alone all that other stuff. Hence, the problematic pitbull. Neutering is essential as well, and too many people can't be bothered to do that, either. :/

Too much work for me, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies