Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 AM

624 posts, read 763,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I live out in the country and walk 5 miles a day. Some new people moved here and lo and behold, out of their yard and into the road came a pack of 5 snarling dogs- 1 Bull Mastiff the size of a pony, 2 crazed Autralian Shephard Pit bull crosses, a three legged Dachund and a Maltese. The three legger and the maltese were obviously the ring leaders and egging on the other three. Fortunately I carry mace and their party was shut down. On other times the same thing happened, but I didn't have to spray them. You have to spray from upwind by the way. Other times I saw them chasing bicyclists with frightful snarls and also chasing cars. I called animal control about those dogs and they went to "talk to the people". I have not seen anymore sign of those dogs for the past three months. I heard another neighbor filed papers too. I looked to me like those people 'rescued' unwanted dogs. Well, if their dog pack had bitten or killed anyone they would have lost their new ranch. One pit bull or other aggressive breed is bad enough. But packs of dogs- they change back into wolves.
The group of dogs is what seems to be the problem in these dog attacks.

It's funny you mention the two little yappers as being the ringleaders. In feudal Tibet, Tibetan Mastiffs were slow and basically lazy dogs, but put one with a Tibetan Spaniel (lil yapper) and the Mastiffs would get whipped into a frenzy by the smaller dogs. This was one of the ways Buddhist Monks protected their monasteries, back in the day.

http://cdn.cutestpaw.com/wp-content/...-with-Want.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images7/...aniel_tede.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
actually, as a group, doxies bite far more often and tend to be far more aggressive than pit bulls......

they are little dogs, though, so their bites are FAR less likely to be reported......
My Grandparent's standard Dachshund bit me full in the face when I was four years old. Thank god I have no scars, but yeah, doxies are not good dogs with kids.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I wouldn't call these folks neutral, but they do try to back up their facts about pitbulls with the history of the breed.

Breed History | BAD RAP

That said, I would never allow a PB around kids, or any large dog, for that matter. Years ago, I read an article in the Atlantic about owning a PB. The woman who wrote the article said that owning a PB is only for dedicated lovers of the breed. Her opinion was that you always have to show them who's the boss, and they require a strict schedule of daily walks, and regular obedience training, to reinforce to the dog who is the boss. (the human) Otherwise, they will constantly test they authority of their owners, and try to become the dominant one in the relationship. Most people just don't have the time or inclination to bother housebreaking their dogs properly, let alone all that other stuff. Hence, the problematic pitbull. Neutering is essential as well, and too many people can't be bothered to do that, either. :/

Too much work for me, no thanks.

true for MANY breeds.... including my red heeler girl (Australian Cattle Dog)

Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I don't think Pits are more aggressive than other dogs but what would you rather have chewing on your leg, a Pit Bull or a poodle? I don't expect an answer out of you.
A Standard Poodle will tear your a$$ up.

Just sayin'

Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM

323 posts, read 499,764 times
Belgian Malinois- that is a relative of GSD, not a bully breed like a pitbull or mastiff.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
here are a couple of pictures of feral hogs:

they don't look much like hogs found on today's farms, so I can understand Gloria's confusion..... but not the defensiveness.... Tobacco Road??

feral hog colonies were started as early as the 16th and 17th centuries when hogs got loose from explorers or early settlers...... they are intelligent and very tough, so "hog dogs" must be the same....
Here's the official scoop. I can see why you are confused. History of Wild Pigs: Population Introduction, Distribution, and Spread They're called Eurasian Boars, and were introduced for hunting, centuries AFTER the ancestors of the first Feral Pigs were released by the Spanish.

Here's what Mississippi women do, when they're not competing in beauty pageants or hunting seven hundred pound alligators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lkGPYa9ls I love the dog's body language. The dog is probably named 'Missy'.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Well, like I said, I don't know if the dog is a pit or not. But reality is this would not be unusual pit bull behavior. I've accidentally stepped on pit bulls I've just met (as they mill around trying to kiss me). They yelp (like any dog, they are *not* impervious to pain as some people say) and then they go on wagging their tails at me. I konk heads with jump untrained pits when I try to leash them up to walk them. We both forget about it. I play tug with my own pit bulls. When they play growl at me I growl back. We have a blast. They're DOGS not monsters.
Oh, and that's another mythbuster. I'm an average height, average weight, average strength woman, and yes I can play tug of war with a pit bull. No superpowered jaws.

You do understand that playing tug of war with a dog is a bad idea, right? It is your job
to be the pack leader. You do not let them play tug of war with you, and you do NOT let them get away with growling at you, regardless of breed, regardless if it's just for fun, and certainly with not with a powerful breed.

Best of luck.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Just a personal observation on two pitbulls I saw while driving down the street one day.
The first was a large, white pit that appeared to be well-bred (read;expensive). He was very large. He
was walking just behind his owner, with very relaxed body language and a tongue lolling out of his mouth like he had just enjoyed a nice walk with his owner. He looked almost goofy (in a good way). There was plenty of slack in the leash and the woman had control over her animal.

Across the street, walking in the opposite direction was a woman walking a younger pitbull. This dog's body language was very tense, ears back, tugging at the leash. The owner did not have good control of this animal as it was practically dragging her along. Everything about this dog screamed aggression.

This was in an upper-middle class neighborhood and neither women looked like the thug, dog-fighting type. IMHO, pits are NOT for everyone. Waaaayyyy too many people have poorly bred, poorly socialized, poorly trained pitbulls. This dog is a victim of it's own popularity. I don't think they should be banned, but a specialized license may be in order.

By the way, the most obnoxious, aggressive dogs I ever met were my MIL's rotten cocker-spaniels. If they had been larger, they would have been dangerous.

Whoever upthread that made the comparison to owning a pitbull being like owning a loaded gun was dead-on. You'd better know what you are doing with a powerful breed like that.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Here's the official scoop. I can see why you are confused. History of Wild Pigs: Population Introduction, Distribution, and Spread They're called Eurasian Boars, and were introduced for hunting, centuries AFTER the ancestors of the first Feral Pigs were released by the Spanish.

Here's what Mississippi women do, when they're not competing in beauty pageants or hunting seven hundred pound alligators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lkGPYa9ls I love the dog's body language. The dog is probably named 'Missy'.

so, some Eurasian hogs were introduced to 300 year old feral hog colonies in the last century.......

didn't watch your youtube video..... I already know what it contains and think it is barbaric......

btw.... a specially bred and trained hog dog is as different from a pet as a pet beagle is from Driller's hounds.... no comparison to be made.....

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You do understand that playing tug of war with a dog is a bad idea, right? It is your job
to be the pack leader. You do not let them play tug of war with you, and you do NOT let them get away with growling at you, regardless of breed, regardless if it's just for fun, and certainly with not with a powerful breed.

Best of luck.
Many experienced dog trainers, who deal with all breeds, disagree with you. After 4 years with these dogs, and a lifetime with previous dogs (all larger mixed breeds), they all understand who is the boss. They know the difference between play and serious business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies