Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,074 times

Advertisements

Pit Bulls are crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I was recently charged and cornered by a pit while out walking my dogs. If I had moved an inch I would have been shredded.

But something occurred to me - a dog on a leash will act like Billy-Bad-azz. If it breaks free a normal dog goes "oh. I'm not really that bad" and the switch is turned off, they start pretending the bush over there by the house is more important than the object of its previous rage.

Much like a dog in a car. DO NOT stick your hand in there, I don't care what kind of dog it is, you WILL get bitten. It's a scenario that makes the dog feel safe to be the bad-azz its always dreamed of being, plus its saving your possession but mostly its being a drama queen. Let the dog out and..... different dog.

I don't believe the pit bull switch turns off - when the pit charged me she had just been on a cable and was threatening me like any other dog would do - then she broke the cable and the switch did not turn off. They need to be controlled so they don't get into that frenzy because they can't stop themselves. (my opinion) Which makes them very dangerous.

They are so athletic and quick, it's hard to imagine being able to out maneuver them without being shredded.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Basically my confusion is regarding the actual definition of pit bull. I've been told there is no such breed, I've been told there are three different breeds that fall under the general term "pit bull," I've been told that any dog with broad shoulders and some other characteristics (which I now forget) fall under this general term.

So apparently there is no agreed upon definition.

It was interesting what another poster said (regarding the video of the dog licking the baby) about if the dog had bitten the baby, then it would have been called a pit bull. I do suspect the media is overly generous with its use of the term, but then, what do I know?

BTW, I have done the online quiz "Which one is a pit bull" and failed miserably.
You're right the term pit bull is used in many different ways. The most accepted definition is a catch-all for American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. But in use, it often means any dog that looks like it has one of those dogs as the dominant breed, or like you said, any muscular short haired dog, (especially if it bites someone lol). Some towns that have breed bans ban "pit bull type dogs" which should worry a lot of people who own dogs that are not pit bulls. I posted in anther thread abut a purebred Great Dane that was banned from an army base because the base veterinarian insisted that, being brindle, it must be a pit bull. I hate to bring up such a cliche, but banning "pit bull type dogs", which is what most people are really calling for, reminds me of the famous "First they came for the Communists and I said nothing" quote. I remember someone posting in a much older pit bull thread that all dogs should be banned in cities. S/he was perfectly serious. Now we all know that's silly and would never, ever, fly. But it's about as logical as banning "dogs that whoever gets to decide these things for the town thinks looks like a pit bull", and it would work to stop dog bites a whole lot better!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:33 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Basically my confusion is regarding the actual definition of pit bull. I've been told there is no such breed, I've been told there are three different breeds that fall under the general term "pit bull," I've been told that any dog with broad shoulders and some other characteristics (which I now forget) fall under this general term.

So apparently there is no agreed upon definition.

It was interesting what another poster said (regarding the video of the dog licking the baby) about if the dog had bitten the baby, then it would have been called a pit bull. I do suspect the media is overly generous with its use of the term, but then, what do I know?

BTW, I have done the online quiz "Which one is a pit bull" and failed miserably.
LOL, I have failed that quiz too.

While Wikipedia can be a questionable source, I think they give a good basic definition here:

Quote:
The term pit bull is often used as a generic term used to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics. The general public and news media consider a "pit bull" as one of several breeds including the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, or any mix thereof. In some parts of the world, the American Bully, American Bulldog, and Dogo Argentino are also classified as a "Pit Bull-type" dog, despite major genetic differences. Any dog that is mixed with a "bully breed" may also be called a "pit bull" including those that are descended from the English Bulldog, French Bulldog and Boston Terrier. However, breed fanciers believe that using the term "pit bull" as a catch-all term for several different types of breed is incorrect because the only breed that has the term "pit bull" in the official breed name is the American Pit Bull Terrier. The breeds often labeled as "pit bull" have their own unique histories, breed standards, and temperaments.
Then you can go to the American Kennel Club website and read about each of the breeds listed: https://www.akc.org/breeds/

Ultimately, you’re right – THERE IS NO AGREED UPON DEFINITION! And, IMO, that’s because some of these breeds look similar and then when you add various mixes and even more similar looks, well, it becomes confusing! Then throw in that any jack-butt can train his dog to “protect†and then call it a pit bull (‘cause it sounds intimidating). Or a less than honest breeder and sells mixed breed pups as “pit bulls†(‘cause they know some people will pay more money). Then there are the “breed registries†– many of which simply provide papers if you send them money. Now these dogs are “registered†and often sold as purebreds when they are not.

Unfortunately, although breeding dogs is kinda regulated in some states, it’s not in all. And I believe the USDA has some breeding regulations as well. But none of these are enforced. Who has the time and money to track down every Tom, Dick and Harriet who puts an ad in the paper?

The problem is one dog lovers (of which I am one) would like to see changed. If we could somehow control or more strictly enforce dog breeding, a lot of the problems we see with many breeds would really start to go away. But that’s just not reality.

IMO, banning “pit bulls†(choose your definition) doesn’t solve the problem because there are MANY breeds that can be trained to do what the “pit bull†does. In years past it’s been Dobermans or Rottweilers or German Shepards. And those are only the ones I can think of that are most easily recognizable breeds in America. That doesn’t even consider the ones around the world.

Now I’ve gone off on a rant…lol.

I’m sure many will disagree but your main confusion is really at the root of the problem. There is a lot of misinformation about the breed(s), a lot of misidentification, a lot of fear-mongering, and a lot of exaggeration. BUT! Part of the hype today is a direct result of the over-breeding and popularity of the breed with certain segments of society. It was the same with Dobies, Rotts, and GSD’s in the 70’s and 80’s. And those breeds survived. These pit bull breeds will survive too – because there are GOOD ones out there. We just don’t hear about them.

I hope that helps. If nothing else, hopefully a reasonable conversation can be had between us.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,684 times
My daughter and I had a bit of a argument when she wanted to watch her friends dog, a pit bull mix at my farm. My daughter is here for the summer with her two dogs and I already have two. I tried to explain that 5 dogs is a pack, it wasn't fair to my dogs, her dogs or the her friends dog and I was called a racist. Racist over a dog! Of course I heard how nice the dog is and that is "more like a cat then a dog". Wouldn't you know when the friend brought her dog for a meet and great, my daughters dogs was attacked by the pit! Of course it was not the dogs "fault" but that she was being protective. BS.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 AM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
I highly recommend the Whippet breed. They are about knee high and weigh about 20 lbs. They are gentle and mild, almost timid, don't bark, shed minimally, are thin waisted and graceful, and have all the best qualities of both cats and dogs and none of the bad. To see them run at the suspended gallop that they have (think Greyhound bus) is breathtaking. Yet they are couch potatoes. They just want to lie on something soft in the house. This is a little known breed, they have not been overbred and ruined.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM

320 posts, read 539,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
My daughter and I had a bit of a argument when she wanted to watch her friends dog, a pit bull mix at my farm. My daughter is here for the summer with her two dogs and I already have two. I tried to explain that 5 dogs is a pack, it wasn't fair to my dogs, her dogs or the her friends dog and I was called a racist. Racist over a dog! Of course I heard how nice the dog is and that is "more like a cat then a dog". Wouldn't you know when the friend brought her dog for a meet and great, my daughters dogs was attacked by the pit! Of course it was not the dogs "fault" but that she was being protective. BS.
Your story is a good one and hopefully your daughter gained some new insight from the experience. I don't think people realize or understand the effort it takes to care for a dog. As you stated in your post, dogs are pack animals. It's instinctual and no matter what dogs will always be pack animals. When you bring a dog into your household you are now part of that dog's pack. In that pack there is going to be a totem pole structure and every member of the family is going to have a place on that totem pole. If the dog doesn't view you as dominant over him then he will look to establish himself as the leader of the pack.

Although I'm currently not a dog owner, I've had dogs for many, many years. The main reason that I don't have a dog now is because my work and family schedule would not allow me to spend enough time with the dog to properly train and socialize it. Another reason that's just as important, is that my family does not view dogs in the way that would be necessary for the dog to respect them. What I mean is that even if I were to properly train the dog, the dog would soon realize that whenever I'm out of the house HE would be next in charge. Having a dog in your family that believes he's in charge is not a good thing.

There are a number of other things that dog owners do not understand about their dogs until it's too late. Dogs have needs and if those needs are not met then there is a huge chance that the dog will misbehave in some form or fashion. For instance, some dogs require a lot of exercise or they will end up causing trouble in the house due to boredom. Other dogs will need more mental stimulation. While other dogs will need a fair amount of socialization to other animals and/or people. Even the smallest dog will give an owner issues if these needs aren't properly addressed. The difference is that small lap dogs aren't going to cause as much damage as a larger more aggressive dog. It doesn't necessarily mean that the owner of the small dog is a better, more attentive owner. It just means that the smaller dog's issues can be swept under the rug more readily.

The point is that any dog not paired with a capable owner is going to exhibit problems. Pit Bulls are naturally more imposing and aggressive dogs than a Lab or Poodle, so it's far more dangerous when the absence of a capable owner is the issue. The fact of the matter is that there aren't many people around who are willing to put the time and effort it takes into being an owner of a dog like that. There are many people who think they know what they're doing, but barely have a clue. Heck I used to work with some of them. These dogs are capable of doing a lot of damage and there aren't enough owners who respect that. It has very little to do with whether or not the dog is friendly, kind or gentle. I cringe everytime I see a Pit Bull, GSD, Mastiff, etc. leading their owner down the street while on a leash. It's a clear sign to me that the dog and not the owner is running the show. Whenever that particular dog is tired of taking orders, it's going to do whatever it wants to do. That time may actually never come if the dog is laid back enough. However if the dog is on the high strung side, it may not be such a good deal.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 AM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
So then, leaving a Pitbull outside without a capable owner at side is like leaving a loaded gun in the yard.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think it was Judge Milian on the People's Court who said "Just once I would like to see a dog bite case that didn't involve a Pit Bull." That breed is banned in most apartment communities and even some Cities and Counties, but some owners get around it by having a vet write a letter saying it is not a Pit Bull, but some other breed.

We had a situation here where I live where an old lady was walking her little dog on a leash and a girl was walking her Pit Bull with NO LEASH. The Pit attacked the other dog and the lady, who ended up in the hospital. The owners of the Pit Bull denied the dog was even here and are hiding it from the authorities...........wonderful people, aren't they ? I see a lawsuit coming on this one.

Don

a PERFECT example of an irresponsible dog owner getting a dog in trouble.... and guess who will pay the price??

I have a 70 lb lab x boxer x who knows what who is so frightened of other dogs, he is dog aggressive.... I know this about him and do not put him into situations where he will fail or get into trouble.... obviously, that girl walking the off-leash dog knows little to nothing about her dog's personality.....

and pit bulls are more aggressive than labs or poodles?? BAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAA

Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM

506 posts, read 326,808 times
....Which of course will bring up some people saying we must kill all pit bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies