Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 09:16 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Those dogs are living with families, some with children, and remarkably, most with other dogs. I'm very good friends with a couple of their families, and the dogs continue to be awesome. Don't tell me what should have been done with them. And if you weren't aware they could be rehabbed, have you heard nothing of the Vick dogs? It's a pretty famous thing. There's a book about them which I haven't read, but maybe you should.
Not all were able to be saved, but most were. They carry scars, but they have forgiven and forgotten and moved on into a new life.
'Tis true.

A simple search on the interwebby confirms it but folks just brush it off as an anomaly.

Too bad we can't breed ignorance out of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Save me the PITA cry, if those were proven fighting dogs they should have been put down. This is why these accidents happen.
Dogs don't trump humans when safety's an issue. You can't rehab fighting dogs. I wasn't aware that it's legal to do this, they are supposed to be put down if there's proof they were used in dog fighting pits.
Until we solve the dog fighting problem, people will be weary of pitbulls. Taking chances rehabbing a fighter is very dangerous to other peoples pets and children.
Save your breath. This person is obviously convinced even fighting pits can be rehabilitated. That's how obsessed these people are.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
These Were Michael Vick's Fighting Dogs-- But See Where They Are Now.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Whatever you say, sweetie.

I don't have any poodles. I prefer larger breeds. I'm also pretty far from a sprout-eating vegetarian.

To bring this back on topic, my sister has a pitbull mix. She's a beautiful and sweet dog, until she sees another dog who is not part of her pack. Then she goes into kill mode. My dad paid the vet bills for the neighbor's small dog (some barking rat breed) after Moody (the pit-mix) knocked out a window screen to attack this neighbor's pooch, who was on a leash. I would have had her put down the same day, but dad is a softie.

You might get lucky with a pit. That time-bomb might never go off, but I wish this unfortunate breed would disappear for it's own sake. Man created this through selective breeding for a fight-to-the-death dog.
My 70 lb lab x boxer would do the same thing.... he is highly dog aggressive because of his upbringing in the shelter system.... not a drop of pit bull in him....

Quote:
THAT dog is NOT a pit bull.... maybe a mix with some sort of mastiff......

pit bulls weigh on average 35 - 45 lbs.... unless they are mixed with another, larger breed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I worked with several dogs that were rescued from a dog fighting ring, during a fight in progress. They were the most human friendly dogs you could possibly imagine. They were some of the most wonderful dogs I've ever known. Dog aggression and human aggression are two completely separate things. If you don't understand how that could be possible, think of dogs that are very aggressive toward cats. You would not automatically assume they were aggressive toward other dogs, or toward people, would you? It's the same thing.
yeah ... and there is where the great disconnect lies.... dog aggressive is a completely different thing than human aggressive ..... my lab x boxer is proof of that.... he LOVES people, but is terrified of other dogs.....

Quote:
Save me the PITA cry, if those were proven fighting dogs they should have been put down. This is why these accidents happen.
Dogs don't trump humans when safety's an issue. You can't rehab fighting dogs. I wasn't aware that it's legal to do this, they are supposed to be put down if there's proof they were used in dog fighting pits.
Until we solve the dog fighting problem, people will be weary of pitbulls. Taking chances rehabbing a fighter is very dangerous to other peoples pets and children.
the willful ignorance in this post is BREATHTAKING.... but goes to show how little you actually know about these dogs.....

have you EVER once worked with or handled a real pit bull?? I have.... dozens, or maybe even hundreds of them over my years in rescue.... I KNOW this breed for what they really are.....

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM

159 posts, read 169,137 times
I think dog fighting is horrible. It is illegal but bad people will do bad things. I dont think dog aggression has anything to do with human aggression. I think the problem is the people breeding for human aggressive dogs. And clueless owners that do not know how to manage their DA dogs.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM

288 posts, read 255,604 times
I will give a little story to those of you who think pits( or any dog that might even slightly resemble one or any other working dog ) should not be owned. First of all, I'm a knowledgeable dog owner, used to do schitzhund level 3 with my late gsd. I grew up with " muts" and loved all dogs. Now how some of you say " pits are evil all should be put down they bite". Now I can say any dog that's under 30 pounds and resembles anything like a terrier or some sort of cross should be put down because I was personally bitten by One! That should be my stance if I was ignorant enough to make that statement. Yes I was bitten 4 months ago through slacks by a terrier mix. It was a 6 inch gash and right now it came down to 3 inch scar. I was simply walking to work, 200 feet away from the door, the owner was passing me and the dog just lunged at me. So from everyone that " hears " stories, if I was uneducated, I could say any dog with these features should be banned because it attacked me unprovoked.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
I will give a little story to those of you who think pits( or any dog that might even slightly resemble one or any other working dog ) should not be owned. First of all, I'm a knowledgeable dog owner, used to do schitzhund level 3 with my late gsd. I grew up with " muts" and loved all dogs. Now how some of you say " pits are evil all should be put down they bite". Now I can say any dog that's under 30 pounds and resembles anything like a terrier or some sort of cross should be put down because I was personally bitten by One! That should be my stance if I was ignorant enough to make that statement. Yes I was bitten 4 months ago through slacks by a terrier mix. It was a 6 inch gash and right now it came down to 3 inch scar. I was simply walking to work, 200 feet away from the door, the owner was passing me and the dog just lunged at me. So from everyone that " hears " stories, if I was uneducated, I could say any dog with these features should be banned because it attacked me unprovoked.
It would of been way worse if it was a pit bull attack. Just sayin...

Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
It would of been way worse if it was a pit bull attack. Just sayin...
But it wasn't, I see and interact with pit mixes every day. The ones I am weary are those under 20 pound yappy dogs whose owners think it's " cute" that their dog is lunging at me/ my dog. Those are the ones that should be more publicized ,

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kch84 View Post
But it wasn't, I see and interact with pit mixes every day. The ones I am weary are those under 20 pound yappy dogs whose owners think it's " cute" that their dog is lunging at me/ my dog. Those are the ones that should be more publicized ,
Here is the difference. Those little yappy dogs can be kicked in the head and they would go run away. Not so with a pit bull, but you knew that. They only thing I wish was that only the Pit lovers were the ones attacked. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Here is the difference. Those little yappy dogs can be kicked in the head and they would go run away. Not so with a pit bull, but you knew that. They only thing I wish was that only the Pit lovers were the ones attacked. Unfortunately that is not the case.
You are eve much uneducated, I would never " kick" I would move away. If the dog is on leash wouldn't it be same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies