Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

How do I feel about it? I wish it was a national holiday. Then I'd get that day off with pay.

Hey we have national doughnut day. I think he's WAY more important than a doughnut! ...although the creme filled ones....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
We celebrate Jackie Robinson for the same reason we celebrate Columbus Day. Neither was the first to do what they did, but their accomplishments changed their respective fields forever. Since Jackie Robinson joined the majors, there has been a continuous line of black players in the majors. Since Columbus came to the Western Hemisphere, Europeans have maintained a continuous presence in the Americas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm a big sports fan but I don't believe in embracing athletes as some political or influential people in society. Sports is a form of entertainment. Jackie Robinson is a great player and should be celebrated by MLB for being a great player.

Why aren't we celebrating the 1st Black Astrophysicist or professor and those that contributes to society as a whole?

America pays so much attention to entertainers but not much on people that really makes a difference to the world.

Jackie Robinson Day is celebrated by Major League Baseball, not society as a whole. It is up to the astrophysicists to celebrate the first black astrophysicist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I'm sorry I just can't stop admiring the man
me too.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I'm sorry I just can't stop admiring the man
I can't either, and I'm NOT sorry.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
It's more than about Jackie Robinson. It's about inclusion. Look at the current issues with Hank Aaron. Hank Aaron, Atlanta Braves receive racist hate mail This is the year 2014.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Who were the first Black football or basketball players in the U.S.?

Do they have a special day?
Well the NBA was formed in 1949 so the first African American depends on how you want to count first.

In the first year of the NBA (1950) Chuck Cooper was the first drafted, the next day Harold Hunter was the first to sign a training camp contract, in May, Nat Clifton was the first to sign with New York Knicks.

As for the NFL figuring out the first African American is more problematic than the NBA.

Black players in American professional football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Though what Robinson did was historical, I think we should get over these racially historical events. They seem to be used to incite racism rather than forwarding egalitarianism. It's much the same as how minorities wanted Columbus day removed.

http://www.sports-management-degrees...ague-baseball/

Actually he beat Doby, Thompson, and Brown by 6 weeks. Though Robinson is praised for breaking into pro sports, the truth is there were a ton of black players coming up.

I'd rather celebrate Willie "the say hey kid" Mays just for the sake of celebrating a great player and a good man.

Last edited by surfman; 04-16-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
How do the events incite racism? If anything it's exposed to be alive and well in some segment of society. As an example beyond just racism some in society think it's ok to pay women less than men for the same job worked. Should we tell Lilly Ledbetter to sit down?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'd never even HEARD of "Jackie Robinson Day". So, I'm glad to learn that it has ZERO relevance to anything in my life.

I had heard the name. But I thought he was someone who sang those awful oldies so obnoxious that when they're blasted by the Muzak at the grocery, you'll leave a full shopping cart in the middle of the aisle, and hurry out of the grocery store.

And who even cares about Baseball, anyway? The players have the worst bodies in any sport besides Golf. And their uniforms make them even uglier. I had Woodie Allen pegged as a sicko, the second I heard he was a Baseball fan. And sure enough... To me, he seems typical of people who are involved in that waste of time and money.

I've learned to not even glance at the baseball games playing on the TVs in the cardio theatres of gyms. Even half-a-second, and you're likely to see some piece of filth hacking a giant gob of saliva.
WOW GG, you didn't hold back, did ya? I like most of your posts, but I really have to ask if you're off your med's with this one. Are you saying that you believe that all baseball fans are perverts? And that's only the most obnoxious part of your post......

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Ahem,but you do realize Roberto Clemente was black? He and Jackie were the same color.

You do realize that hispanic baseball players had to play in the Negro leagues at first right?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No. And I hardly think it is to attract black fans. I'm a white Met fan who hasn't been to Citi Field yet, but I'd love to see the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

There are a few transformative figures in each sport; Jackie Robinson was one.

I agree. I do not think that it's to "attract black fans". Many people don't look at the color of the person, as much as the do their impact, and what they endured.

I might ask the OP, why this annoys you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events