Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I've seen the video several times yet I find myself watching how the Dad walks away as much if not more than I've seen the kid drop. It's just cold. If it were an interaction between adults I'd assume the dad was saying FU as he turned.

I'm of the mind we are overprotective to the point of madness but this doesn't deserve to be discussed in the same breath. We're not talking about a parent letting their kid go to the skate park or trying free running and assuming there will be injury and being okay with that.

We're talking about a grown man kicking his son OFF a ramp. If we saw one adult kick another adult off a ramp, few would ever dream arguing it was anything but assault which is exactly what this was. Love has nothing to do with kicking your kid and it sure as hell isn't discipline.
What a punk! What a coward! Nowhere for him to hide because his actions are on the net.

Its bad enough to secretly hate your child, what this sicko does is deliver a hate message loud and clear along with assault of both the body and the mind of a helpless child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, because parents should have to answer to busy-bodying outsiders seeing a small snip of their existence about how they should parent THEIR children.
Look dude children aren't freaking property. You don't own your children. Parents are entrusted with the care of their children until such a point that the trust has been broken, the it is the RIGHT of ANYONE to step in to protect a minor child from abuse particularly physical abuse.

Quote:
If there's molestation or drop-kicking etc, okay intervene
Well what the fracking is kicking a kid off of a 10-15 foot high ramp and not even having the decency to even look over the edge to see how he was doing. Mind my own business, any kid or adult for that matter who is being abused in public is my business as a citizen of a society with that demands of all of us certain levels of acceptable behavior.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, because parents should have to answer to busy-bodying outsiders seeing a small snip of their existence about how they should parent THEIR children.

If there's molestation or drop-kicking etc, okay intervene--otherwise, you parent your kids your way, others will parent their kids their way, and no one owes anyone else, INCLUDING CPS, any explanation at all whatsoever. Except in extreme cases, parental authority should be absolute and above scrutiny, and people need to mind their own business, and those who can't, well, they need a size 11 shoe with metal barbs sticking out of them up their rear-ends.
Is violence the answer both to frightened children and to "busybody outsiders"?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:

If there's molestation or drop-kicking etc, okay intervene--otherwise, you parent your kids your way, others will parent their kids their way, and no one owes anyone else, INCLUDING CPS, any explanation at all whatsoever. Except in extreme cases, parental authority should be absolute and above scrutiny, and people need to mind their own business, and those who can't, well, they need a size 11 shoe with metal barbs sticking out of them up their rear-ends.
People need metal barbs up their rear ends?
Whoa...this tells us all who you really are.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times
My dad did that to me, except I'm 28 and it happened last week.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Look dude children aren't freaking property. You don't own your children.
We were property at our house. I recall being told many times "Until you move out your butt (said in more colorful words) is mine"

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
We were property at our house. I recall being told many times "Until you move out your butt (said in more colorful words) is mine"
Parents say all kinds of cool stuff:

"I'll beat you like a red-headed step-child"

"I'll knock you into the middle of next week" (I'm still trying to figure out the physics of that one)

"I'll beat the black off of you" (that's an afro-centric one).

were some of my favorites what our parents said to us had no bearing on what the actual relationship between parent, child and the state. Even in the 1950's when there were real welfare case workers, children would be removed from abusive and neglectful homes.

FYI - and interesting piece on the history of child protection in the U.S.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Darn right. Or, as one person put it, and did so to someone nearly 18 years of age on top of that, "as long as your shoes are underneath my table, you will do as I say."

Yes indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Look dude children aren't freaking property. You don't own your children. Parents are entrusted with the care of their children until such a point that the trust has been broken, the it is the RIGHT of ANYONE to step in to protect a minor child from abuse particularly physical abuse...
First of all, no one said children were property. However--yes, until they move out on their own and are over 18 years of age, they are absolutely under their parents' authority. As I said, unless you're talking about REAL abuse, as in molestation or locking up in a cage type of thing, a parent's authority should be ABSOLUTE.

Like everything else, balance is key. Yes unchecked 100% absolute authority leads to awful stories, but so does the other extreme. Look what your thinking gets us. It gets parents whom I know who have told me that they don't do things such as let their children play outside alone unsupervised even in a fenced-in yard even at an appropriate age because of their fear that a nosy neighbor with a Pinocchio-sized set of nostrils who doesn't approve of anything other than "helicopter" parenting and who takes it upon themselves to call CPS over such matters. You get people throwing a fit about noisy children in a restaurant saying "when I was young, if I'd done that, I'd gotten my butt wooped." That parent is too permissive apparently. So then you get another one who actually DOES discipline, and not in a very hideous way, but not in a wussy kind of way (like Danny Tanner in "Full House")--and what do you do? You call social services.

And you wonder why parents don't discipline their children? It's because of that fear.

So yes, people who do that SHOULD get a size 16 shoe with metal barbs kicked up their rear-ends. You don't go involving the authorities in anything other than serious cases, not every little thing you don't agree with. Parents aren't supposed to be parenting by proxy, as long as they're not doing hideous things like branding their kids with hot cattle prods or subjecting them to Chinese water torture types of punishment, they ALONE are supposed to be the ones in charge.

Even better, they deserve the response that one lady in Southlake TX did. She let her children play outside on a cul-de-sac, a nosy neighbor couldn't see her outside and thought the children were alone (like that would've been so bad anyway, the kids were like 8 & 10, plenty old enough to play outside alone) and called the police. The woman was arrested for endangering the welfare of a child, but the charges were dropped. This lady proceeded to sue the police department, the policeman AND the nosy neighbor who called. Good for her, I say. (How she knew that the neighbor was the one whom called, when those things are generally anonymous, I don't know.)

Yes, in extreme cases, I support involvement. In non-extreme cases, it's not being a "good citizen," it's being a nosy intruder. Again--balance.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-28-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Darn right. Or, as one person put it, and did so to someone nearly 18 years of age on top of that, "as long as your shoes are underneath my table, you will do as I say."

Yes indeed.

First of all, no one said children were property. However--yes, until they move out on their own and are over 18 years of age, they are absolutely under their parents' authority. As I said, unless you're talking about REAL abuse, as in molestation or locking up in a cage type of thing, a parent's authority should be ABSOLUTE.

Like everything else, balance is key. Yes unchecked 100% absolute authority leads to awful stories, but so does the other extreme. Look what your thinking gets us. It gets parents whom I know who have told me that they don't do things such as let their children play outside alone unsupervised even in a fenced-in yard even at an appropriate age because of their fear that a nosy neighbor with a Pinocchio-sized set of nostrils who doesn't approve of anything other than "helicopter" parenting and who takes it upon themselves to call CPS over such matters. You get people throwing a fit about noisy children in a restaurant saying "when I was young, if I'd done that, I'd gotten my butt wooped." That parent is too permissive apparently. So then you get another one who actually DOES discipline, and not in a very hideous way, but not in a wussy kind of way (like Danny Tanner in "Full House")--and what do you do? You call social services.

And you wonder why parents don't discipline their children? It's because of that fear.

So yes, people who do that SHOULD get a size 16 shoe with metal barbs kicked up their rear-ends. You don't go involving the authorities in anything other than serious cases, not every little thing you don't agree with. Parents aren't supposed to be parenting by proxy, as long as they're not doing hideous things like branding their kids with hot cattle prods or subjecting them to Chinese water torture types of punishment, they ALONE are supposed to be the ones in charge.

Even better, they deserve what one lady in Southlake TX did. She let her children play outside on a cul-de-sac, a nosy neighbor couldn't see and thought the children were alone (like that would've been so bad anyway, the kids were like 8 & 10, plenty old enough to play outside alone) and called the police. The woman was arrested for endangering the welfare of a child, but the charges were dropped. This lady proceeded to sue the police department, the policeman AND the nosy neighbor who called. Good for her, I say.

Except in extreme cases, during which yes someone SHOULD step in, lacking that MYOB is absolutely the order of the day. To do otherwise it to be an indecent jack`a-s`s.
I got your point but this is NOT what you are writing about when you write about overzealous people calling the police or agencies over nothing.......................

This is abuse of an innocent child by an arrogant bully!

Father caught on video kicking 6-year-old son down skate ramp | Mail Online

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
I'm ok with this.

parents baby their kids too much these days.

He had a helmet and pads on, no biggie.
A helmet doesn't protect you from breaking your neck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events