Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But-but-but how will you win the respect of people who couldn't care less about you or your family's well-being!?!? As I explained to my nephew about whether or not he should rock his Jesuit hoodie: they hate you because you're black, so you might as well wear what you want to.
Why in the world would you tell your nephew that people hate him because he is black???

That is just plain cruel and now I understand why this is never going to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
For all of you who love to cry "Racists" at anyones' opinion that does not mirror yours (that would be the liberal mantra) when you see a Confederate Flag on the back of my pickup, what do you think?

Lets put on our big girl panties and be honest, here. Back at you!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
why does the youth community wear hoodies, it not a fans ion statement, they really want to be thugs. like the knock out game, yea now it called a game to hurt someone,

hell yea i cross the road but more important, i would not be walking in that neighborhood to begin with. they come to my neighborhood I be moving to a safer area. am i an racist, maybe, but Im concern more about my health than hurting some hoodies feeling.

what see your future, hang out with thugs, your going be a thug too. if the thugs want a cleaner safer neighborhood, quit destroying it

Old 05-25-2014, 06:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
In the winter/fall if I go out without my make-up in public.....I were a hoodie up.....so I can hide a little.

I hope the youth are not hiding.........I do see it as a possibility .

Old 05-25-2014, 10:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
This Black man actually agrees with Cuban.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
: they hate you because you're black, so you might as well wear what you want to.
Whom did you say hated him because he is black?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:27 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh good grief. What he said hold true for most people. Everyone has prejudices...even when they don't think they do. So effin' what. At least he admits it. I respect him for that!
This is key because the "racist" word is thrown around very loosely these days.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Moving to the other side of the street when a possible threat appears? I don't see it as a race problem but a self preservation solution. If you see someone that looks like a threat what do you do?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Cuban's view is an honest balanced assessment. Do I truly believe he'd respond the exact same way to big black dude in a hoodie versus a skinhead looking guy? I'm not sure.

However, Cuban is Jewish. Unlike your typical Dallas WASP, he actually should be afraid of a skinhead looking white guy; his statement therefore does not surprise me. I feel like Cuban wants to defend Donald Sterling, but he's looking for more delicate ways to approach the situation so that he may 1.) avoid being branded a "racist" and 2.) keep those in the NBA from turning on him. I agree with what he's saying overall, and appreciate his search for nuance.

I'm black, and rough looking/large groups of white people make me put my guard up. No shame in admitting that. I certainly don't trust white police offers, but I'll still show them respect and try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Drunk white women....forget it...I'm heading in the opposite direction as fast as possible!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
little true story here, sitting on job site today waiting on concrete truck, this laborer about 45 walks up, wearing a t shirt with redneck on it, and picture of empty beer can laying on it side.

company policy is, you have to have your full name on your hardhat. no nick names, no tiger, stud ,whatever. full name

redneck reads my name, and say thats your name. no dumbazz it was on the hardhat when i stole it.

my point is, first impression count. mr redneck, i knew was stupid before he open his mouth due to the tshirt. if a well dress black man in a suit walks up, I,m going treat him with respect.

a hoodie thug, other side of road I'm moving. skinhead with neck tattoos , you know how tender that neck muscle is, he aint right to begin with. I be more afraid of him than hoodie

point i making, first impression counts, don't want be a thug, quit looking like a thug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events