Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times

Advertisements

The Belmont is saying 11 horses are scheduled to run this Saturday.

Belmont Stakes Contenders

This is quite different from 1973 when only 5 horses ran.

Secretariat Belmont Stakes 1973 & extended coverage (HD Version - NEW!) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
CC got a favorable post

California Chrome draws No. 2 post position for Belmont Stakes - baltimoresun.com

As with the other 20 or so attempts that have occurred since 1978, I have hoped that this one too falls short of a victory. 99% of the people that are rooting for California Chrome to prevail will quickly forget what happens one way or the other and frankly don't deserve to witness a Triple Crown winner. CC's legacy and value is set for life in any case and his people will have to be satisfied with a $30 million horse and $1 - $2 million yearly stud fees as a Derby-Preakness winner. Meanwhile, "Junior" will be happy with an extra serving of sweet feed either way.

but in truth, I know as with all the other attempts I've watched in the past 36 years, when they round that last turn and dig for the finish line, I will be unavoidably rooting for Chrome to bring it on home.

bet show, may even pay more than a win if the 2nd and 3rd PP odds fail to deliver.

I hope most of all for a safe race for all the horses and riders.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Secretariat at Belmont is still probably my favorite race to watch. I still get goosebumps after all these years.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
I hope Chrome does it ... at last!

Secretariat's Belmont was the greatest race I ever saw. When he took the lead so early, I kept saying, "it's too soon, it's too soon, he'll die in the last quarter mile", but he never did. He just kept stretching it out. It was the most amazing thing! I'd like to see Chrome do the same!

Chrome has the blood to do it, being a direct tale-male descendent of Seattle Slew, and he's got a dash of Secretariat in him, too, through AP Indy's dam, Weekend Surprise.

California Chrome

Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I hope Chrome does it ... at last!

Secretariat's Belmont was the greatest race I ever saw. When he took the lead so early, I kept saying, "it's too soon, it's too soon, he'll die in the last quarter mile", but he never did. He just kept stretching it out. It was the most amazing thing! I'd like to see Chrome do the same!

Chrome has the blood to do it, being a direct tale-male descendent of Seattle Slew, and he's got a dash of Secretariat in him, too, through AP Indy's dam, Weekend Surprise.

California Chrome
It's long past due, and I know we are all going to be pulling for him!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Secretariat at Belmont is still probably my favorite race to watch. I still get goosebumps after all these years.
Me too!

I will go through the PP's and make my bet sometime tomorrow.

Then I'll just wait for history to be made on Saturday.

GO CHROME!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:51 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
It's long past due, and I know we are all going to be pulling for him!
All? Seriously?
There are 10 other barns that will be sending out horses on Saturday and I'm sure none of them will be pulling for California Chrome to win.

I hope he loses but I have been betting against him and he fools me everytime.

In the Derby I liked Commanding Curve to win and I placed an across the board bet on the 38-1 shot who missed winning by a little more than a length. I plan to back him again on Saturday but Ride On Curlin scares me a bit. If that exacta hits it should pay decent. There are a few newcomers to the Triple Crown series that I will need to look at.

The extra distance will be a factor for all so we will see!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
CC got a favorable post

California Chrome draws No. 2 post position for Belmont Stakes - baltimoresun.com

As with the other 20 or so attempts that have occurred since 1978, I have hoped that this one too falls short of a victory. 99% of the people that are rooting for California Chrome to prevail will quickly forget what happens one way or the other and frankly don't deserve to witness a Triple Crown winner. CC's legacy and value is set for life in any case and his people will have to be satisfied with a $30 million horse and $1 - $2 million yearly stud fees as a Derby-Preakness winner. Meanwhile, "Junior" will be happy with an extra serving of sweet feed either way.

but in truth, I know as with all the other attempts I've watched in the past 36 years, when they round that last turn and dig for the finish line, I will be unavoidably rooting for Chrome to bring it on home.

bet show, may even pay more than a win if the 2nd and 3rd PP odds fail to deliver.

Impossible.

No way on the show prediction either. There will be a ton of money bet on him. If he finishes in the money he will pay $2.60 for a show bet max but closer to $2.20 is more likely. If he wins you will probably get $3.40. That does not equal "99%" by any means. Betting him straight up is a bad bet. Frankly I do not like short price horses. If he finishes out of the money or fails to finish at least 2nd the payoffs will blow up.

I am also hoping for a safe race for all.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
CC got a favorable post

As the Blood-Horse article points out, if CC wins it would definitely be "a tremendous morale booster for a state breeding and racing program left reeling by its downward spiral for several years."

That may not align with the observation of Andrew Beyer of the Daily Racing Form but you just never know how it will play out. He would have to win this third leg before anything else could happen; I am definitely jumping up & down for CC to win it!

'Chrome' Becomes Poster Boy for CA Breeders

His humble roots as the product of an inexpensive mare and $2,500 stallion give hope to the everyday horseman. So do his novice owners and breeders, Steve Coburn and Perry Martin, a pair of working class guys. More importantly, they're lifelong racing fans who crossed over to become part of the sport they love. California Chrome, the first horse they ever bred, is the product of their budget-minded operation.

'Chrome' Becomes Poster Boy for CA Breeders | BloodHorse.com

Beyer: California Chrome's stud value has ceiling

No matter what he achieves on the track, the breeding industry will view him warily. “He’s going to be a tough sell,” predicted Kentucky-based bloodstock agent Tom Clark.

One of the principles in the breeding business is that horses are not judged solely on their merit as runners, but also on the basis of their family trees. It may sound un-American, but if a superior racehorse possesses an inferior pedigree, that pedigree will always be a drag on his value.

http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-califo...ue-has-ceiling

Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
I used to love horse racing until I saw Barbaro get hurt at the Belmont. He was gunning for a Triple Crown, but ultimately lost his battle with laminitis. That was sooooo sad! I've never been able to watch horse racing again.

I too, just hope that all horses and riders have a safe race Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events