Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times

Advertisements

Happened a few months back, but since Pitbulls are in every other post on here, I thought I'd share this one.

Would you save the dog?
What about the boy?
The dog is actually represented by an attorney in this case.

Protestors rally to save pit-bull who bit child - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Here's the follow up story on the victim of the attack.

Video Landing Page - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 06-24-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Happened a few months back, but since Pitbulls are in every other post on here, I thought I'd share this one.

Would you save the dog?
What about the boy?
The dog is actually represented by an attorney in this case.

Protestors rally to save pit-bull who bit child - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Here's the follow up story on the victim of the attack.

Video Landing Page - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com
Put the dog down. Dogs now get represented by an attorney? This is getting absolutely absurd. Dog has already PROVEN he's a danger. Save someone else from being mauled.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Is this the animal forum? Enough with the pitbull topics.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Been there, done that.

The dog was chained & penned up and an idiot baby sitter didn't do her job.

The kid ventured in to the yard and was mauled by a DOG that didn't know any better with limited human interaction.

And I agree....the dog needs to be killed.

Can't have that.

Hardly indicative of all "pit bull types" and hardly indicative of ANY "type."

I thought you might spend some time researching animal behavior instead of dragging up old "news."

Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM

I'm actually a dog trainer, I was trained professionally and did this for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. Plus, I wanted to have well behaved pets, so I'm not sure how to take your comment that I need to research animal behavior, I was posting a dog attack story with both sides at war. The animal lovers wanting to "rescue" this animal, and the victims demanding justice. I never once mentioned animal behavior.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
It is an old story, and the dog has been PTS. A large group of people made a lot of noise about saving his life. It's true there were circumstances that should not have occured, and the owner was very irresponsible, but a dog with sound temperament would not have reacted that way, in spite of it. I'm a pit bull owner, and lover, and I said at the time he should be put down. Most of the pit bull owners and supporters that I know agreed with me. Most of us pit bull owners are not as dense, unreasonable, or as dishonest with ourselves as a lot of others seem to think.
Edit, I have to correct myself, because that dog was sent to sanctuary. I was thinking of the dog (not a pit bull) in the video who attacked the boy on the bike and was run off by a very brave cat. That dog was put to sleep, although there were people trying to defend and save him too. Some people these days feel that no animal should be euthanized no matter what the circumstances. They are not using their heads, imo. There are plenty of good, sound, dogs out there needing homes.

Last edited by subject2change; 06-24-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Personally I have seen some Yorkies and Chihuahuas that are seriously vicious animals, and when you're bitten by one, the owners will laugh or giggle and you go on about your day. I think 80% of pit bull stories are sensationalized.

There have been 11 child deaths by dog so far that I know of in 2014 and 4 adult fatalities: Out of the 11 child deaths, 6 were pit bull, 3 bull mastiffs, and 1 Rotweiller, and 1 Shepherd/Lab mix.

The adults were 2 pit bull, 1 mastiff mix, and 3 Rotts (pack attack)

In 2013 there were 32 fatalities by dog bite, Pit bulls consisted of 78% of those fatal attacks.
From 2005 to 2013 Pit bulls killed 176 victims, while Rottweilers came in second with 33.

So there seems to be a correlation between deaths and Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls only make up 6% of the US dog population, but do the most damage by far.

I'm not saying that they're a danger to society or anything like that, I have owned them and found mine to be wonderful pets, but being the father of four children, I certainly wouldn't let my children play with a Pit in a park if we happened to cross another Pit owner's path.

At some point we need to wonder why there's such a large number of these seemingly harmless pets doing nearly 80% of the harm..

Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Any dog that attacks a person without provocation that results in signifcant injury or death needs to be put to sleep. Any dog bite to a person should be investigated, and if there is a pattern of biting, or if the dog is determined to be aggresive by authorities (even if it's a single incident), consideration should be given to putting the dog to sleep.

This is only an issue for the fringes on both side of the argument who are driven only by emotion, not facts and logic.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm actually a dog trainer, I was trained professionally and did this for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. Plus, I wanted to have well behaved pets, so I'm not sure how to take your comment that I need to research animal behavior, I was posting a dog attack story with both sides at war. The animal lovers wanting to "rescue" this animal, and the victims demanding justice. I never once mentioned animal behavior.
Please excuse me.

My question is:

Why would you post a "breed specific" news item that was dragged out of months' worth of archives?

So, Wise Man....

What is your take on it?

Would you consider yourself an "animal lover?"....or a victim?

Your post speaks for itself.

As a "trainer", would you consider the "pit bull type" to be a breed?

Or would you like to "rescue" ALL of this "type"....?

Euthanasia?

I think you're full of crap.

Carry on.......

Old 06-24-2014, 04:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
People repeat the "6% of the dog population is pit bulls", but that is way off base, especially when you consider most of the dog bites are not being attributed to pure bred APBTs or Amstaffs, even by the most biased reports. To say that only 6% of the dog population consists of pit mixes is patently absurd, but hard to disprove when no statistics on mixes are available, and very little reliable data on purebreds is available. If they are going by data from the AKC, they are undercounting many breeds and overcounting others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events